Players you like, but shouldn't

Non IU players, who have you begrudingly come to like or respect as a player? Who are your favorite non-IU players?

I have three that pop into my head.

1. Zion Williamson

I know, part of the college version of the evil empire. But if you watch the kid play, watch his interviews and hear what people say about him,  it is hard to not like him beyond the the fact he plays for Duke. Freak athlete, plays very hard and has a very upbeat fun personna.

2. Ethan Haap

Hard to not respect a 4 year guy that plays old school basketball and just flat gets the job done.

3. Carson Edwards

I am ducking as I type.  We can say volume scorer, has to shoot etc. But watch the kid play. He is fearless and plays with a super amount of passion. He is as competitive as anybody in the league. He has an edge to him I wish more IU players had. I root hard against Purdue. But as I watch them, I have come to respect Carson. He is an undersized talent that just fights his butt off. 

There are my guilty admissions. Anybody else?

Players I've watched who were pains in the @ss to IU Back in the day: 

Kevin McHale at Minny

Brian Cardinal at PU

Clark Kellogg at OSU

NIck Anderson-Had to drive back to FW with my Illini Friend and listen to him gloat over the buzzer beater UI win over IU in 1989.  Never took him to another IU game😡

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Are we talking current college players or guys from the past?  

I was originally thinking current, or very recent players. But I dont mimd whichever way the conversation goes.

I just find it funny to find myself saying "I am supposed to hate that player, but I kinda dont"

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I was originally thinking current, or very recent players. But I dont mimd whichever way the conversation goes.

I just find it funny to find myself saying "I am supposed to hate that player, but I kinda dont"

Gotcha. From the past a few come to mind. I liked Robbie Hummel. He was a class kid who made a bad college choice.

Also, even though they went to UK, I liked Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey, and Darren Feldhaus. Those kids never would have had a chance to play for their home state school had UK not cheated. When that program was toxic, they got to live out their dream and help them rebuild.  I didn’t mention Sean Woods because he was from Indianapolis. I can’t abide leaving the state for UK no matter the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Gotcha. From the past a few come to mind. I liked Robbie Hummel. He was a class kid who made a bad college choice.

Also, even though they went to UK, I liked Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey, and Darren Feldhaus. Those kids never would have had a chance to play for their home state school had UK not cheated. When that program was toxic, they got to live out their dream and help them rebuild.  I didn’t mention Sean Woods because he was from Indianapolis. I can’t abide leaving the state for UK no matter the circumstances. 

Hummel is a great call. I also loke.him onnth broadcast gig he has.

As for Richie Farmer, he threw away a promising career. Lost in the shuffle in this article...

"He previously served a 27-month federal prison sentence in for misappropriating government resources while in office, including having state workers build a basketball court for him at his house. He pleaded guilty in federal court and circuit court in the fall of 2013 to government corruption charges."

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/London-police-arrest-Richie-Farmer-for-DUI-477686623.html

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

As for Richie Farmer, he threw away a promising career. Lost in the shuffle in this article...

"He previously served a 27-month federal prison sentence in for misappropriating government resources while in office, including having state workers build a basketball court for him at his house. He pleaded guilty in federal court and circuit court in the fall of 2013 to government corruption charges."

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/London-police-arrest-Richie-Farmer-for-DUI-477686623.html

I agree on Hummel as a broadcaster. All of my local media comes out of Louisville, so I remember when that whole mess went down with Farmer. 

Kyle Macy, an Indiana legend who began his college career at Purdue then transferred to Kentucky where he was a 3-time All-American and won a Championship in '78.

As an IU fan I wish he would have stayed at Purdue and maybe won a championship there, I hated that he ended up at UK. But he was good. I respect that.

38 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

- lok.him onnth - 

What language are you speaking?  

Your grammar challenges aside, Hummel is my favorite broadcaster on BTN and right up there with Bill Raftery overall.

Along with Hummel I'd add Jajuan Johnson and Etwaun Moore. As good as they were I hated that I couldn't find a reason to actually dislike them. 

Cardinal and Kris Kramer fit, too. They're just the guys everyone hates, but you know you'd love to have them on your team. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am shocked nobody gave me grief on Carson Edwards. He doesnt seem to be a favorite around here. 

I also like Mateen Cleaves back several years ago. Even though he seemed annoying.

Do you honestly believe anyone from IU would turn CE down to play for IU?

Love the kids tenacity, skill, and attitude that he would cut your heart out and eat it if he could.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am shocked nobody gave me grief on Carson Edwards. He doesn't seem to be a favorite around here. 

He's not because he's a boiler.  He's also been very up and down as far as efficiency, but that's on his coach for failing to assemble better talent around him so opposing teams can't key on him and he doesn't feels like he has to do it all.  He's not the NPOY, but yeah...he's got talent and fight. 

Only an idiot would say he's not a good player, but we can still hate on him for being a Toiletmaker.  The difference between that and Boiler fans hating on Romeo is that they are still trying to convince themselves that he's not a special talent and that Nojel is going to shut him down.

Archived