Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was, I think, the worst game that Archie has coached. At least we can say he is devoted to his guys. Poor Fitzner... really shouldn’t play. The substitutions in the first half were rapid fire, I hope, in a desperate attempt to find a spark?  I can’t decide if I’m so deflated because I feel like this season is now officially “on the brink”, or because we are going to waste a season with Romeo. There are already those here in New Albany saying he would have been better off at U of L. At this point I can’t defend it. Demoralizing. I have to wonder, if they are trying to hold out some kind of fools hope that Jerome can come back, but I heard him tell Fisch he was redshirting. AnD the Colts lost. AAANNND the Patriots won. Perhaps I should pay less attention to sports and try a new hobby, politics anyone???

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Normally teams that have not been descimated by injury after injury as has IU this year, start coming into their own, by this time of year.  Coaches have had the opportunity to figure out rotations, etc.  Arch has not had that luxury.  You all saw tonight that he is still working on it, while other coaches like Miles, have had the luxury to figure it out.

Arch has done a great job with guys out.  Now... it's time to give him a break, as he tries to figure out how to work the injured back into a viable rotation.

Just watched the post game presser with CAM.  Gotta admit, would have like to hear him take more responsibility and lay less at the players feet.  At the end of the day, he is responsible for everything basketball related.  Too much we and not enough I.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Let's get one thing straight.  We can make a case that the injuries cost us against Maryland, but they had absolutely zero impact on tonight's game. 

Tonight was all about a lack of preparation, a lack of effort, and a lack of heart.

I would counter with Archie doesn't know how to coach.  And I am serious.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Totally embarrassing.  We’ve seen some defensive improvement since Archie got here, but the offense is so atrocious that I’m starting to wonder whether the coaching change has been a net positive as far as in-game coaching goes.  Not sure this offensive system will ever work in the big leagues.  Obviously Archie has done a much better job recruiting, but honestly, I think Crean would be winning more with this roster.

We’re wasting a generational talent on a bubble team... and like 5fouls alluded to, we’re probably going to be worse next year.  That’s hard to swallow.  Wonder if Archie called Tim Miles “Daddy” in the handshake line?

Have to totally disagree!!!!! And I will add a CraighHoops memorial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.......I know, right, ....iuthruandthru?

Many of our complaining fans (who are wielding pitchforks and torches) should REALLY take notice of the Crean recruited players vs. Miller recruited players. I feel you will quickly be suprised as to how many "Crean recruited" players, currently on this team, who are the majority of our frustrations. Granted, Archie is the head coach, but sometimes non-recruited players never buy in....

Our best player tonight was Morgan which was a Crean recruit

5 minutes ago, rico said:

No, a majority of my frustration is why Damezi and Jake don't see the floor.

Damezi is a shooter who can't guard anyone, did you watch the Arkansas game? The 20+ minutes he had to play that day due to injuries were a huge factor in us losing that game. If we are just throwing stuff at the wall, sure give McRoberts' minutes to Damezi, but I don't think it's going to make a big difference. One is a walk on and one is a freshman, they both should be injury depth and practice players on a good team, unfortunately we do have injuries and one of them has to play significant minutes.

I thought Forrester was hurt, but if not he's clearly behind Moore in the rotation who is barely playing himself.

I don’t understand why we can’t play with a little up tempo offense?  It’s obvious that he’s running everything for juwan and Romeo in a half court set. Everyone knows it...the opposing coaches know they only have to shutdown 2 players. If he can’t find some shooters we’re in for a long season. Play some on the bench please!!!  I don’t understand why Fitzner minutes can’t go to Clifton???  How worse can it be?  McRoberts is a shell and should be relegated to cheering from the sideline. 

2 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I don’t understand why we can’t play with a little up tempo offense?  It’s obvious that he’s running everything for juwan and Romeo in a half court set. Everyone knows it...the opposing coaches know they only have to shutdown 2 players. If he can’t find some shooters we’re in for a long season. Play some on the bench please!!!  I don’t understand why Fitzner minutes can’t go to Clifton???  How worse can it be?  McRoberts is a shell and should be relegated to cheering from the sideline. 

Only shooter he can find is Damezi. He's the only other option.

8 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

Just watched the post game presser with CAM.  Gotta admit, would have like to hear him take more responsibility and lay less at the players feet.  At the end of the day, he is responsible for everything basketball related.  Too much we and not enough I.

Cal threw his players under the bus after their Seton Hall loss and it worked.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Normally teams that have not been descimated by injury after injury as has IU this year, start coming into their own, by this time of year.  Coaches have had the opportunity to figure out rotations, etc.  Arch has not had that luxury.  You all saw tonight that he is still working on it, while other coaches like Miles, have had the luxury to figure it out.

Arch has done a great job with guys out.  Now... it's time to give him a break, as he tries to figure out how to work the injured back into a viable rotation.

Mile,

I have finally vomited the Kool-Aid I drank earlier.   I no longer think this was just an off night.  There is no way to put lip stick on this pig.

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  For inexplicable reasons ongoing since last yr, CAM has a an aversion to playing the younger players even minimal minutes.  With the injury situation, CAM should be giving Moore, Forrester, and Anderson game time minutes to slowly get them to be more of a part of the rotation.  I simply don't know why he can't see the Fitz is just not the player he anticipated and needs to sit..  Davis is too injured as is McBob.  My eyes tell me they need to sit until healed.  As I have stated earlier, DG is fool's gold. JS is still inconsistent but somewhat improved.   If we are going to lose anyway,  experience for the young players will help us come late Feb and March.  I also am disappointed in CAM and his staff for not being willing to sit guys with lazy attitudes as demonstrated by lackadaisical passes, jogging on D after bad plays.  He needs to show some more fire and hold players accountable. And the consistent slow starts has to fall on coaching at this point.  I like the idea a the players calling a meeting as mentioned earlier.  

The team is fundamentally flawed with lack of outside shooting.  After tonight, I also fear they lack grit and determination.  Teams will pack the paint and let us shoot 3's and Jump shots all day but not allow drives.  I see us finishing 5-7 range in BIG at best.  

I think we’re going to struggle all year long against teams that can shot from 3. You can’t trade 2s fir 3s all game long and win. Again, I think we looked best when Romeo was pushing the ball. Half court, stagnant offense is exactly why we start slow and 3 of the 5 players look disinterested. Why has Rob not taken a shot fir 2 games?  You can’t tell me his confidence has taken that big of hit since being injured. I think they’ve all been told to pass until Juwan or Romeo can get an open shot. That leads to a lot of apathy for other players 

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I would counter with Archie doesn't know how to coach.  And I am serious.

Come on dude. Love you but this isn't right. We have 2-3 factions going on right now on the 14th of January. I'm as ticked as anyone but I'm now going to have back away and watch what Archie does. My biggest concern is that why when we start our sets is Justin Smith touching the ball 20 feet away. Nebraska sagged off of that all night. RP still isn't back yet and Romeo/Juwan can only carry so much. There are 2-3 guys that just shouldn't be seeing the court but because of injuries they are. 4 of the next 5 on the road with lone home game vs Michigan. Things going to get real serious real quick. 

Archived