Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Archie Miller is a competitor.   The poor body language (not hustling back etc) may be because the last few days in Btown were tough ones for the players after coughing up a road win at Maryland.  Archie is a bit of a throwback in that he does get intense and get after players.  Is it possible some players were down or checked out because of it?  Don’t know, just searching for answers like we all are. 

I feel bad for Juwan Morgan.   Juwan represents everything right about being an IU player.   Coaching change?  Handled it like a pro.   He has shouldered the majority of the load on the interior for 2 seasons.  He has every right to be exhausted.  I think the world of Morgan.

For those who still remain positive in midst of dive: respect.

I think this is going to get a whole lot worse.  3 of next 4 on the road (Indiana is 1-4 on road, winning by 2 at PSU) and the home game is Michigan.

For peace of mind, I’ve adjusted my expectations and will not succumb to spiraling on the board.   Appreciate all you IU fans.  Hang in there.

I appreciate your coming to the defense of Juwan. Reading, and when you used the word shouldered, I thought at first were going to mention his playing through injury. Let's not forget the issues he had before his shoulder injury... where frequently his shoulder would pop out, and all he did was pop it back in.... to play again.  Juwan has come a long way from his freshman year.  Use his progress over four years as a measure of what the future holds for our talented freshman.

IU needs shooters.  It is so painful to watch them trade their 3s for IU's 2s.  It puts IU in such a disadvantage every time they make a run or get down.  This is getting painful to watch.  I really would like to see Damezi get some more playing time and less Fitzner.  Damezi is one of the few players on the team that actually looks ready to shoot beyond the three line and is not hesitant.

Curbed stomped at home by Nebraska and that goofy Tim Miles.   Worse yet we showed no signs of life in the game.  I know they're a good team, but I don't see it as much of an advancement getting curb stomped at home by Nebraska rather than ISU.  I hope this is a detour and not a trend.  If it's a trend, IU is in danger of getting to the NCAAT.

I guess I need to learn not to comment during and right after games because I tend to get to worked up after losses like this one.  I just don't understand why I let an outcome of a game get me so upset and it has been like that for years.  I have been trying to get better about it but last night's game was just so bad I had to vent.

52 minutes ago, tmoneynow said:

IU needs shooters.  It is so painful to watch them trade their 3s for IU's 2s.  It puts IU in such a disadvantage every time they make a run or get down.  This is getting painful to watch.  I really would like to see Damezi get some more playing time and less Fitzner.  Damezi is one of the few players on the team that actually looks ready to shoot beyond the three line and is not hesitant.

Some of these players, such as Damezi, lack the defensive intensity\ability that favors Archie's game plan. Yes, Damezi is an Archie recruit, but I am sure that Archie's plan was to mentor him and focus on next year. Damezi is a shooter first, but his defensive abilities have not blossomed yet. Damezi is a defensive liability right now!

From everything ive taken away from our recruiting page....if we didn't offer Leal as soon as the game was over; and I mean "Hi, it's coach Miller with IU.  We just got the breaks beat off of us at home by freakin Nebraska because we shot 4% from the 3 point line and I think you could help with that.  I would like to offer you a scholorship to play basketball for Indiana University.  I hate to run, but I'm still in the tunel and have to go have a come to Jesus meeting with the guys.  Looking forward to seeing you in candy stripes!"  then I don't think Leal will ever get an offer and is going to prison rape us twice a year for 4 years.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I need to learn not to comment during and right after games because I tend to get to worked up after losses like this one.  I just don't understand why I let an outcome of a game get me so upset and it has been like that for years.  I have been trying to get better about it but last night's game was just so bad I had to vent.

Don't worry too much Scott.  All of us here are pretty much like you in this regard!

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Some of these players, such as Damezi, lack the defensive intensity\ability that favors Archie's game plan. Yes, Damezi is an Archie recruit, but I am sure that Archie's plan was to mentor him and focus on next year. Damezi is a shooter first, but his defensive abilities have not blossomed yet. Damezi is a defensive liability right now!

90% of the time I agree with that, but when we are down 15 with the clock quickly running down;  there comes a time when CAM's guna have to give in and tell somebody to start letting them fly from deep.  If its Fitz....ok, but his D hasnt been worth a crap lately either.

17 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

90% of the time I agree with that, but when we are down 15 with the clock quickly running down;  there comes a time when CAM's guna have to give in and tell somebody to start letting them fly from deep.  If its Fitz....ok, but his D hasnt been worth a crap lately either.

I wouldn’t hold my breath... I don’t think this team will ever be allowed to cut loose from three, no matter the situation, unless something changes with Archie.  The past two losses, we’ve basically dribbled the clock out running our sets to get to the rim.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tape the games.  Due to just the normal day to day things of life, I rarely can catch a game live.  I do not watch tapes losses.  The reality of the situation is that my "diehard" fandom has taken a major hit since I graduated from IU.  They fired Knight my senior year and the downward decline we were already on before Knight was let go has done nothing but continue.

I do not think the school admin or the players seem to care as much as I did when I was in full on diehard mode, so why should I anymore?  I have long thought that we are just waiting to get that right guy again, but my faith in that is shaken.  We seem snake bit when it comes to consistent on court results.  I was hoping for better this year and I think injuries have played a part but I am also beginning to think that there are several upperclassmen that just need to be shown the door as well.

This season is becoming very disappointing, very quick.  The negative recruiting that will follow is not going to help matters either.

What's the word on Al? If he's down that means down to DG, Rob, and Romeo.  Demezi, unless injured has to be at least equal to Fitz if playing the wings.  

Lacking real shooters and some of our size like a healthy DD and Race, along with Fitz giving essentially nothing, has really beaten the team down.  

Love the idea of Rob gets the ball up court, then let Romeo facilitate and try and get Rob and DG free to shoot.  

20 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Tape the games.  Due to just the normal day to day things of life, I rarely can catch a game live.  I do not watch tapes losses.  The reality of the situation is that my "diehard" fandom has taken a major hit since I graduated from IU.  They fired Knight my senior year and the downward decline we were already on before Knight was let go has done nothing but continue.

I do not think the school admin or the players seem to care as much as I did when I was in full on diehard mode, so why should I anymore?  I have long thought that we are just waiting to get that right guy again, but my faith in that is shaken.  We seem snake bit when it comes to consistent on court results.  I was hoping for better this year and I think injuries have played a part but I am also beginning to think that there are several upperclassmen that just need to be shown the door as well.

This season is becoming very disappointing, very quick.  The negative recruiting that will follow is not going to help matters either.

I am 48 years old and have been an IU fan my whole life and that will never change.  I will watch every game I can and I still root for them like I did when they were good.

Way to much to even start a rant about. 26-9 Ayden said let's watch Rocky IV. I said the outcome will be much better than this I guarantee.  

Checked in on game couple times long enough to see we had no idea how to beat the 1 3 1 and to see Mcbob Ollie the ball off his foot out of bounds. Called it a night. AS of 1/15/19 we are a very bad team.

51 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath... I don’t think this team will ever be allowed to cut loose from three, no matter the situation, unless something changes with Archie.  The past two losses, we’ve basically dribbled the clock out running our sets to get to the rim.

this has a bit of "Knight" sprinkled on it!

the biggest concerning thing about last night to me is that it was at home.  same match-up on the road, and i wouldn't be shocked.  there's just not much excuse for that kind of performance at home.  seems scary that we might have some deep issues with drama, attitude, jealousy, chemistry, etc.  the slow starts are maddening to me.  we got off to a bad start as people other than Juwan and Romeo took the first 3 shots.  once we got down 9-0 we got them shots and quickly it went to 9-5.  sorry Mr. Smith.  it's really hard to see McRoberts and Fitzner on the floor right now.  

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Way to much to even start a rant about. 26-9 Ayden said let's watch Rocky IV. I said the outcome will be much better than this I guarantee.  

Checked in on game couple times long enough to see we had no idea how to beat the 1 3 1 and to see Mcbob Ollie the ball off his foot out of bounds. Called it a night. AS of 1/15/19 we are a very bad team.

I know exactly how to beat the zone.....hit shots from the outside!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am 48 years old and have been an IU fan my whole life and that will never change.  I will watch every game I can and I still root for them like I did when they were good.

I am 40.  I have kids who are not as into the games yet and honestly, Indiana is not the hook it was when I started to really get into the games myself...I mean, we won the National Title when I was in the second grade, little did I know at the time that it would be the last one I would see up to today.  My kids keep hearing, "Wait until next year...."  I have been hoping that for 20 years.  We have an uptick here and there but we have just been consistently mediocre for pretty much 2 decades now.  I cannot spend 2 hours away from the kids several times a week watching something that far too often ends up being a drag.

I listened to the beginning of the game on the way home from work last night.  It was over basically from the opening tip off.  More power to people who can wait around having their heart broke for 90 years like Cubs fans, but that is not me.  I have become a much more casual fan and I am not alone.  Attendance at the games shows that as well.  The past 20 years have not been kind to this program.  Not at all.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Now that we are in full swing of big ten schedule, the athleticism has picked up. With his back McRoberts is also a defensive liability. On top of that, he might as well not even head to the offensive end of the floor. He provides zero threat. Damezi could atleast keep his defender pulled out of the lane for Romeo to drive or Juwan to operate. 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Damezi still needs to improve on defense, however at this point I would trade some offense(3 pointers) for defense.  Not saying play Damezi a ton of minutes, but sprinkle in 8 to 10 minutes and let Damezi have 3 or 4 shots off the bench.  If they are falling extend his minutes some. 

Damezi needs to improve on defense before he can play?? Have you watched our current team?? That can literally be said about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!! Play him....nothing to lose now!!

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I know exactly how to beat the zone.....hit shots from the outside!!!!!!!

Unfortunately every team in America has guys that can do that but us. This is even more reason to offer Leal now. I dont care if we plan on using the scholly to land the number 1 player in the country. Sign the guy who wants to be here should be mr basketball lives in Bloomington and can shoot lights out

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am 40.  I have kids who are not as into the games yet and honestly, Indiana is not the hook it was when I started to really get into the games myself...I mean, we won the National Title when I was in the second grade, little did I know at the time that it would be the last one I would see up to today.  My kids keep hearing, "Wait until next year...."  I have been hoping that for 20 years.  We have an uptick here and there but we have just been consistently mediocre for pretty much 2 decades now.  I cannot spend 2 hours away from the kids several times a week watching something that far too often ends up being a drag.

I listened to the beginning of the game on the way home from work last night.  It was over basically from the opening tip off.  More power to people who can wait around having their heart broke for 90 years like Cubs fans, but that is not me.  I have become a much more casual fan and I am not alone.  Attendance at the games shows that as well.  The past 20 years have not been kind to this program.  Not at all.

Both of my kids are in college and I am not married so I don't have much to occupy my time and IU is my passion.  I will still follow them and root for them because I feel if I leave when they are down I have no right to come back if they start winning big again.

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

I guess you can put me in there if you wish. Devonte is what he is. a guy who's never seen a shot he didn't like and today he is the same player he was the day he step foot on campus. Turnovers are a whole lot more than throwing the ball away, its also bad shots at really bad times. This is where I think Archie has changed this season, last year he pulled guys making bad shots, this year no. I think that has to do with giving Romeo the freedom to make mistakes taking bad shots.

I don’t disagree with everything you said. But my whole thing is that we have a team full of guys that are afraid of failure on offense. Juwan, Romeo and Devonte...and I’ll even throw in Clifton Moore are not afraid. That guy is not scared of anything. He’s looking to win on every possession. He wants it and you can tell.

I despise it when players pass up open shots. We need playmakers. Play to win, not to not lose. Devonte isn’t the greatest, but he at least TRIES to make plays, as opposed to seeing how quickly he can get the ball out of his hands. He’s always trying to make a pass for an assist, rather than pass just so he doesn’t have to do anything with it. Some of this goes to the level of it being a fault, but until a third guy wants to put his manhood on the table and at least try...then Devonte is our third best player. Everyone wants him to just pass the ball all the time. There is a shot clock in college basketball. Devonte took 6 shots in 32 minutes played. I think 3 of them were as the shot clock was running out. 1 was a missed open layup. I think the other 2 were somewhere around the free throw line or closer. If you’re playing 32 minutes, you should have 5 or 6 shot attempts. 

Archived