Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I don’t disagree with everything you said. But my whole thing is that we have a team full of guys that are afraid of failure on offense. Juwan, Romeo and Devonte...and I’ll even throw in Clifton Moore are not afraid. That guy is not scared of anything. He’s looking to win on every possession. He wants it and you can tell.

I despise it when players pass up open shots. We need playmakers. Play to win, not to not lose. Devonte isn’t the greatest, but he at least TRIES to make plays, as opposed to seeing how quickly he can get the ball out of his hands. He’s always trying to make a pass for an assist, rather than pass just so he doesn’t have to do anything with it. Some of this goes to the level of it being a fault, but until a third guy wants to put his manhood on the table and at least try...then Devonte is our third best player. Everyone wants him to just pass the ball all the time. There is a shot clock in college basketball. Devonte took 6 shots in 32 minutes played. I think 3 of them were as the shot clock was running out. 1 was a missed open layup. I think the other 2 were somewhere around the free throw line or closer. If you’re playing 32 minutes, you should have 5 or 6 shot attempts. 

And this is why Clif, Damezi, and Jake need to see the floor.  I cannot say it enough.  Archie needs to make some adjustments.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I don’t disagree with everything you said. But my whole thing is that we have a team full of guys that are afraid of failure on offense. Juwan, Romeo and Devonte...and I’ll even throw in Clifton Moore are not afraid. That guy is not scared of anything. He’s looking to win on every possession. He wants it and you can tell.

I despise it when players pass up open shots. We need playmakers. Play to win, not to not lose. Devonte isn’t the greatest, but he at least TRIES to make plays, as opposed to seeing how quickly he can get the ball out of his hands. He’s always trying to make a pass for an assist, rather than pass just so he doesn’t have to do anything with it. Some of this goes to the level of it being a fault, but until a third guy wants to put his manhood on the table and at least try...then Devonte is our third best player. Everyone wants him to just pass the ball all the time. There is a shot clock in college basketball. Devonte took 6 shots in 32 minutes played. I think 3 of them were as the shot clock was running out. 1 was a missed open layup. I think the other 2 were somewhere around the free throw line or closer. If you’re playing 32 minutes, you should have 5 or 6 shot attempts. 

I'm with you on Devonte.  It's like if he missing any shots now, even good ones, he's getting beat up for it.  Like you, I at least appreciate him making the effort.  

He is the player that offers the most as the '3rd guy'.  That's why when he plays well, we virtually always win.  

24 minutes ago, rico said:

And this is why Clif, Damezi, and Jake need to see the floor.  I cannot say it enough.  Archie needs to make some adjustments.

I agree I want guys that are hungry. When CAM was announced as head coach my father in law not an IU fan but watches more college basketball than anyone not getting paid to do so and more than many of those so called experts  he told me that Miller will not last 5 years here because he us too stubborn to change. Makes good adjustments but unwilling to make wholesale changes when things go wrong. I cant say I agree or disagree but some sort of shakeup is neccessary in my humble opinion

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Both of my kids are in college and I am not married so I don't have much to occupy my time and IU is my passion.  I will still follow them and root for them because I feel if I leave when they are down I have no right to come back if they start winning big again.

I still follow and pull for them, I just do not watch as often anymore.

51 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unfortunately every team in America has guys that can do that but us. This is even more reason to offer Leal now. I dont care if we plan on using the scholly to land the number 1 player in the country. Sign the guy who wants to be here should be mr basketball lives in Bloomington and can shoot lights out

Hey, i said about an hour ago CAM should have been on the phone with Leal offering him a scholorship before he made it to the locker room to unleash hell.:coffee:

Often lurking, rarely posting. I grew up a Michigan State fan. Last night's game brought memories of the 1978/79 Spartans, and their loss to Northwestern that season. It dropped them to 5-4 in the conference, and in danger of missing the NCAA tournament. Jud was still new, in his third year, and people were questioning how long he might last. He was stubborn, and didn't want to make the necessary changes. A team meeting was called, and Magic and Special K essentially convinced Jud to let them play. To open the throttle and abandon some of what wasn't working. Almost overnight, they transformed into one of the best teams in NCAA history. 

This Hoosier team is built similar. Romeo/Juwan = Magic/Kelser (lite). Jud = Archie. The supporting cast. It's hard to compare the two teams, as one is an iconic story already written. As mentioned earlier on this thread, I think the ceiling is still high for this team. If you look at MSU after losing to Northwestern in 1979, vs. IU today, it's not a far-fetched comparison. It'll be up to CAM to allow the changes to be made. 

5 minutes ago, SconsinHoosier said:

Often lurking, rarely posting. I grew up a Michigan State fan. Last night's game brought memories of the 1978/79 Spartans, and their loss to Northwestern that season. It dropped them to 5-4 in the conference, and in danger of missing the NCAA tournament. Jud was still new, in his third year, and people were questioning how long he might last. He was stubborn, and didn't want to make the necessary changes. A team meeting was called, and Magic and Special K essentially convinced Jud to let them play. To open the throttle and abandon some of what wasn't working. Almost overnight, they transformed into one of the best teams in NCAA history. 

This Hoosier team is built similar. Romeo/Juwan = Magic/Kelser (lite). Jud = Archie. The supporting cast. It's hard to compare the two teams, as one is an iconic story already written. As mentioned earlier on this thread, I think the ceiling is still high for this team. If you look at MSU after losing to Northwestern in 1979, vs. IU today, it's not a far-fetched comparison. It'll be up to CAM to allow the changes to be made. 

You left out a key component on Sparty...........Jay Vincent=?

11 minutes ago, SconsinHoosier said:

Our 81 championship team was about the same going 7-5 in the non conference season.  He finally let Isiah lose and went on a great run to the championship but I don't see this IU team having the same personal as these teams we mentioned.

16 minutes ago, SconsinHoosier said:

I think one of the things CAM prob struggles balancing is implementing his style into a group of guys that don’t fit it. Does he abandon for a year, which will stunt future growth to try to be more efficient this year? Or do you stay the course knowing that you have more guys coming that fit your style? If you abandon, IMO, it stunts your growth moving forward. I say stay the course. Damezi needs to improve on D, and DG, EF, RP and RL need to man up and hit shots that they are fully capable of hitting. It all comes down to making perimeter shots. And we have guys at least CAPABLE of shooting it better. Maybe not at an elite rate, but capable to keep the D honest. I can understand encouraging them to push it more when there’s an opening, but I wouldn’t agree that CAM isn’t for that anyway. Sometimes you have to be able to trust your guys to make good decisions. And most of ours can’t do that. 

1 hour ago, Huntnfreak said:

Damezi needs to improve on defense before he can play?? Have you watched our current team?? That can literally be said about EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!! Play him....nothing to lose now!!

Yes I have watched on tv and in person multiple times this season.  Who ahead of him at the Shooting Guard or Small Forward spot is worse at defense than Demezi is, go on enlighten me.  I'll wait, here are a few to name: Romeo(better defender), Durham(better defender), Green(better defender but not by much IMO), McRoberts(better defender)? Of course they all could improve on defense, every single college athlete could. 

Now if we are talking offense with those 4 I mentioned, Demezi is better offensively than McRoberts.

6 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Nebraska at IU: The Report Card. We pull it all together and attempt to process what happened as the Hoosiers somehow have to right the ship before heading to Purdue on Saturday.

I see you are handing out "D"s now........LOL   Good stuff.  Nice write up.

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

After seeing Archie's body language and demeanor on the sideline last night, I found myself seriously questioning if he's the right guy for this program. And I hadn't felt that way until now.

I want Archie to show and chew on his players.....That is what was been missing from the last several coaches at IU. It also tells me that he is passionate, intense and focused on detail. You have to remember that Archie is seeing/coaching this game through the eyes of a former point guard....If feel the point guard is arguably one of the most important, if not, the most important players on the team. No excuses from me, but I will keep repeating this same statement over and over, until Archie has a full team of "Miller recruited" players, there will be growing pains. It really hurts right now!

Folks it is time Hoosier Fans to face facts ! Archie is doing. a great coaching job in my opinion ! Archie. Started 3 Sophs , 1 freshman , and 1 Senior ! Nebraska started 3 Seniors , 1 Junior , and had another Senior off the Bench !  The 4 Upperclassmen  who started for Nebraska scored 39 of Nebraska's points and the Senior off the bench added 7 points ! That's 46 of Nebraska's 66 points !!  IU just lacks team Veterans ! 

One of my biggest gripes with CAM that dates back to last year is his use of timeouts.  He took one timeout the entire game when we got down 9-0.  Crean did the same thing - they hoard timeouts in the event that the game is close at the end.  Timeouts can be used to stop momentum, not just for drawing up plays.  Other coaches do it all the time - Miles did it as soon as we got within 6, and I don't recall it being a huge momentum swing in our favor when the timeout was called.  And guess what?  Nebraska got it turned around because he called the timeout before things got out of hand.  Nebraska ended the game with one timeout remaining and they were in control most of the game, meanwhile IU had 3 remaining.  Either CAM thinks he knows something about timeout use that every other coach in America doesn't or he simply doesn't have any answers for the team. 

4 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Folks it is time Hoosier Fans to face facts ! Archie is doing. a great coaching job in my opinion ! Archie. Started 3 Sophs , 1 freshman , and 1 Senior ! Nebsska started 3 Seniors , 1 Junior , and had another Senior off the Bench !  The 4 Upperclassmen  who started for Nebraska scored 

Again please explain what he is doing great

3 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

One of my biggest gripes with CAM that dates back to last year is his use of timeouts.  He took one timeout the entire game when we got down 9-0.  Crean did the same thing - they hoard timeouts in the event that the game is close at the end.  Timeouts can be used to stop momentum, not just for drawing up plays.  Other coaches do it all the time - Miles did it as soon as we got within 6, and I don't recall it being a huge momentum swing in our favor when the timeout was called.  And guess what?  Nebraska got it turned around because he called the timeout before things got out of hand.  Nebraska ended the game with one timeout remaining and they were in control most of the game, meanwhile IU had 3 remaining.  Either CAM thinks he knows something about timeout use that every other coach in America doesn't or he simply doesn't have any answers for the team. 

Even RMK very rarely call timeouts to stop momentum because he said players need to play through it and do what they were taught in practice.

I want to see more Demezi. At this point we play a lot of 4 on 5 on the offensive end and in all honesty he cant be any worse of defense than what I see of us at times. Plus he will be needed next year. I am very happy for all the McRoberts has done for us but it is time to move on. On offense we might as well put a chair out there. We are getting nothing at all out of MCroberts, Fitzner etc.. Give me more Moore and Anderson.

Hate to say it but does anyone else realize that we praised archie last year for not adjusting. It was understood that he needed to establish his system even if it wasn't his guys. Now this year he still is not adjusting to fully support the talent that he has. Shooters two years in a row seem to have taken a step back. Several players keep passing up on open shots to the point that defenders dont even worry about covering them outside of 15', etc...

While I do think it is far to early to say if Archie will be the right guy there are deffinetly some red flags as to his willingness to adapt to the players he has.

Nebraska is a good team, they have shown that throughout the season and the advanced metrics support that they are not a bad loss. Is there over reaction right now, absolutely. Was there over reaction to the fact that we were squeaking out wins to other teams earlier in the year, absolutely. Are we as good as we want to be no. Are we as bad as we are making ourselves out to be today, no. 

16 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I know defense is important but how well can Archie continue to recruit if we start losing with an offense as bad as this one? All the teams that do well in the tournament can score points. Why can’t our guys get open?

This.   I have said since day one that defense and shooting at the rim is not going to win a championship. I hope Coach Miller changes his philosophy in the coming years.

Archived