Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Mostly i think people are bashing CAM for even playing DD.  He shouldn't even being played this year in all honestly.  And he might never get enough back to compete at this level.  The Achilles is a tough injury for man of his size to return from.

Beg to differ in one respect.  De'Ron was fully cleared to play from his surgery.  The problem being.... he has gotten banged up since then. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, milehiiu said:

Beg to differ in one respect.  De'Ron was fully cleared to play from his surgery.  The problem being.... he has gotten banged up since then. 

agree to disagree.  Being cleared to play and being 100% back to what you were before you were hurt is different.  Ask any wide reciever in football.  They may be able to play but how many of them lose a step because of it.  And they are not 6'10 and already not that quick as it is.

I am not knocking the kid but he doesn't look the same, even before he got banged up again.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Earlier in the season Davis was giving IU quality minutes. He should not have played the last two games, but he was playing well before this recent ankle (or whatever the injury is) injury. 

Correct. As I was typing much the same as you were posting this.  De'Ron was clearly ready to go post surgery, much to my, and others' surprise.  However, as I said, he's gotten banged up since then.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

agree to disagree.  Being cleared to play and being 100% back to what you were before you were hurt is different.  Ask any wide reciever in football.  They may be able to play but how many of them lose a step because of it.  And they are not 6'10 and already not that quick as it is.

I am not knocking the kid but he doesn't look the same, even before he got banged up again.

OK.  Let me rephrase in another way.  De'Ron was clearly able to play.  He demonstrated as much in early season games.  Reason, back then for limited minutes was Coach Miller was still trying to bring him along slowly. 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I'd like to expand a little more on De'Ron.  Saw some questionable comments about him for the Monday Night Massacre in Assembly Hall.

De'Ron is still hobbled by an ankle injury.  Observed around campus in a walking boot, prior to the game.

And.... and..... did no one notice, how taped up his legs were for the game ?  He gave it a go.  He should be applauded for that. Not derided.  At least he tried.  Geesh !

And another response.  Injuries to this team are not an excuse.  They are a fact. 

I did not think De'Ron would be back this year because of his injury. I really believe that he is/was a real key to this team because he is a true presence in the middle. Healthy he would be able to force double teams which would allow our two scorers to not be double teamed. De'Ron when healthy could rebound fairly well and set some mean picks for his fellow Hoosiers. I have the utmost respect for him because he is trying to do what he can. He is probably 50% of the player he was before those injuries. I have no doubts he will be back to normal once he overcomes what is ailing him. 

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We had an entire thread earlier this season asking people who doubted Davis over the summer to apologize, because he was playing so well in albeit limited minutes. 

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

These players should not have ounce of rear end left Archie better have chewed every last bit of it. Whatever it takes to light a fire. Plenty of season left but this is w defining time for team and coach 

There is a lot of truth to your statement.......However, as I posted earlier.....it may not be Archie' s voice these players need or want to hear right now......These players need to hear it in a "team only" meeting from each other, more importantly a leader like Morgan.

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

There is a lot of truth to your statement.......However, as I posted earlier.....it may not be Archie' s voice these players need or want to hear right now......These players need to hear it in a "team only" meeting from each other, more importantly a leader like Morgan.

Agreed. Do we have that person? I expect a great bounce back sat at Mackey

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Exactly.  And John Wooden, felt the same.  If they have learned and absorbed in practice, what we have taught them, there is no need to call time outs in end of game crunch time.  All that does is give the other coach an opportunity to instruct his players what they were not taught in practice.

Great observation Scott.  Not just one, but two of the greatest college basketball coaches in the history of the game, professed, it's not what is taught in a timeout.... but rather what is taught in practice.

Is it possible that what they taught in practice is not working, though?  Whatever gameplan that they came up with clearly was not working, so why do we continue to beat a dead horse and run the same stuff that the other team continues to make stops against?  It worked in practice, so it should work here, right?  The other team has a coach too that has studied us and has put together a game plan to stop us.  Therefore.... make an adjustment!

I'm not a basketball expert, but there is such a thing as momentum and calling a time-out can slow it.  We see it every time we play at home - we hit 3's, fans go nuts, bench goes nuts, the other coach calls a time-out and then suddenly 30 seconds later the fans are no longer going crazy, the players now have something else to think about that coach chewed them out about like not getting back on defense and it takes them a possession or two to get back into the flow of the game.  Granted, there are instances where there's nothing coach can do - if the shots aren't falling, they're not falling.  It's one thing if CAM's offense is putting everyone in the right spot to get the best shot possible, but I saw a lot of crappy shots go up last night.

I'm also no expert on leadership, but I know that when my teams don't do something that I instructed them, it's either my fault because I didn't communicate clearly enough or their fault for ignoring my instructions - and for that there will be repercussions - but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and watch it all fall apart because I'm too stubborn to either reinforce what I've already stated or thought hmm maybe there's a better way to do it that will play better to their strengths.  I've never won a national championship, though, so what do I know?

6 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

Is it possible that what they taught in practice is not working, though?  Whatever gameplan that they came up with clearly was not working, so why do we continue to beat a dead horse and run the same stuff that the other team continues to make stops against?  It worked in practice, so it should work here, right?  The other team has a coach too that has studied us and has put together a game plan to stop us.  Therefore.... make an adjustment!

I'm not a basketball expert, but there is such a thing as momentum and calling a time-out can slow it.  We see it every time we play at home - we hit 3's, fans go nuts, bench goes nuts, the other coach calls a time-out and then suddenly 30 seconds later the fans are no longer going crazy, the players now have something else to think about that coach chewed them out about like not getting back on defense and it takes them a possession or two to get back into the flow of the game.  Granted, there are instances where there's nothing coach can do - if the shots aren't falling, they're not falling.  It's one thing if CAM's offense is putting everyone in the right spot to get the best shot possible, but I saw a lot of crappy shots go up last night.

I'm also no expert on leadership, but I know that when my teams don't do something that I instructed them, it's either my fault because I didn't communicate clearly enough or their fault for ignoring my instructions - and for that there will be repercussions - but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and watch it all fall apart because I'm too stubborn to either reinforce what I've already stated or thought hmm maybe there's a better way to do it that will play better to their strengths.  I've never won a national championship, though, so what do I know?

Point being.  If your team has the ball at end of game.... there should be no need for a timeout.  They should know what to do, whether ahead or behind, if you have trained them properly.

It's up to the opposing coach to call a T.O. if he feels he has been deficient in teaching his troops in how to close out a game.  I used the word, troops for a reason. In the military, you train your troops what to do when it is left up to them, to know what to do.  And trust they will get the job done. Because of their training. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Point being.  If your team has the ball at end of game.... there should be no need for a timeout.  They should know what to do, whether ahead or behind. 

It's up to the opposing coach to call a T.O. if he feels he has been deficient in teaching his troops in how to close out a game.  I used the word, troops for a reason. In the military, you train your troops what to do when it is left up to them, to know what to do.  And trust they will get the job done. Because of their training. 

We may be on different pages here - I'm saying there's no point in saving your timeouts for the end of the game, which seems to be what CAM is doing.  I agree with you that you shouldn't need to have multiple timeouts at the end of the game.  I'm saying quit saving them for the end of the game when case in point last night being, there was nothing to compete for at the end of the game - it was already over.  Use them when things are getting out of hand so we have something to play for at the end.

I’ve been hearing a lot about slow start lack of energy last night and there was. What I don’t understand is these player can play. All of them. They were good they love this game. They got recruited because they could play. They how do you as a competitive athlete show up like they did last night. That’s on them! Not any coach

4 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

We may be on different pages here - I'm saying there's no point in saving your timeouts for the end of the game, which seems to be what CAM is doing.  I agree with you that you shouldn't need to have multiple timeouts at the end of the game.  I'm saying quit saving them for the end of the game when case in point last night being, there was nothing to compete for at the end of the game - it was already over.  Use them when things are getting out of hand so we have something to play for at the end.

No problem in the use it or lose it to close out a first half.  Completely different story at end of game. So what, if you have TO's left at end of game ?  Using a TO at end of game only gives the other coach a chance to regroup.

Another thing... at end of game.  Up by three.... why not foul ? 

Count me in with the thinkingnthat Davis would have been better served sitting out the whole year.  He may have played solid in limited minutes, but doesn’t the fact he was seeing limited minutes in all those games clearly show holding him out longer if not the year may have been better.  That injury is not like an ACL and as has been stated is crazy hard for a player his size to come back from.  To me stating he was playing limited minutes actually makes the case he as back too soon.  Seems crazy to use that as a reason he was clear and ok to play, seems counter to your point.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

These players should not have ounce of rear end left Archie better have chewed every last bit of it. Whatever it takes to light a fire. Plenty of season left but this is w defining time for team and coach 

Oh Im sure he did today.  This is a man who's had to sit around for a F'ing year with a 9-9 record in this F'ing league.  This man isn't here to F around this week.  He's F'ing tired of losing to Purdue.  If we don't play up their on Saturday our guys won't believe the next 4 F'ing days.  Archie had to sit around for a F'ing year with a 9-9 record in this F'ing league and our guys had better not put him in that F'ing position again.  Or they're gonna pay for it like they can't F'ing believe.  They'd better get their head out of their ass.

15 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Count me in with the thinkingnthat Davis would have been better served sitting out the whole year.  He may have played solid in limited minutes, but doesn’t the fact he was seeing limited minutes in all those games clearly show holding him out longer if not the year may have been better.  That injury is not like an ACL and as has been stated is crazy hard for a player his size to come back from.  To me stating he was playing limited minutes actually makes the case he as back too soon.  Seems crazy to use that as a reason he was clear and ok to play, seems counter to your point.

Clearly, to me at least, De'Ron was ready to come back.  As cronicalled by our great friend TDH, in this video :

De'Ron Davis Making Progress for Indiana 

I believe the reason Coach was easing him into the line up was due to conditioning issues, not injury issues. 

Let's not conflate injuries to De'Ron that happened after he came back from the surgery.

Folks it is time Hoosier Fans to face facts ! Archie is doing. a great coaching job in my opinion ! Archie. Started 3 Sophs , 1 freshman , and 1 Senior ! Nebraska started 3 Seniors , 1 Junior , and had another Senior off the Bench !  The 4 Upperclassmen  who started for Nebraska scored 46 of Nebraska ' s 66 points !!! Experience usually beats youth !!!!!!!!!

Archived