2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

As of the end of 2018, out of all active players, Votto ranks 1st in on base percentage, 2nd in OPS and 4th in batting average. He lead the NL in walks in 2011 and 2012.

Sounds like focusing on average and getting on base has been his MO all along.

But, but, but....he is only a slap singe hitter!

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For the record, he's also 14th among active players in RBIs and 17th in HRs, so not like he's a slouch in those areas either.

I am talking about last year and the start of this year where all of his key stats are down in HR's and RBI's. Baseball like every other sport is going to analytics which takes away a lot of key aspects of the game.  Today it is about HR's and walks as well as strikeouts and it has taken away the use of speed in your lineup and trying to hit the other way.  I don't mind if he worries about getting on base if no one is on base or is leading off an inning but when there are runners in scoring position I want him worrying about driving in runs because he is our best player.

Also with paying him like the top players I want him to be more than a single hitter who also walks a lot.  To me when you pay him like one of the top players I want him to be driving in runs and batting in the middle of the lineup and not batting leadoff or 2nd.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not really talking about home runs but he seems like he is more worried about his OBP than in actually driving in runs.  Also I hate that they are putting him in the leadoff spot because to me you need to have more speed at the top of your lineup.

Agree all day. Admittedly I don't pay much attention to Reds. Was there a reason of not trading him years ago? Or did he just want to stay put? Assuming he has a trade clause.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. Admittedly I don't pay much attention to Reds. Was there a reason of not trading him years ago? Or did he just want to stay put? Assuming he has a trade clause.

He has a no trade clause in that ridiculous contract and has turned down any time it has been brought up about trading him.

Actually to me the main problem the Reds have is that when they Traded their top players they did not get any real top prospects to rebuild their team.  They got nothing for Cueto and Chapman and when you trade players like that you should at least get one top of the line prospect if not more.  They also got nothing for Jay Bruce but that is more understandable because he was coming off some mediocre years.  Now this year they went out and tried to make a big splash but now they have to many corner outfielders who really haven't produced anything.  They need a true centerfielder who can actually hit and get on base and play great defense.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe just me. I'll gladly take 8 Tony Gwynn's in my lineup. Historically teams that lead the league in HR's don't win it all. Quite the opposite.

Unfortunately, neither did any of Tony's teams.

I am  Twins fan, and can relate. Rod Carew was one of the greatest contact hitters of all time. Never made it to the World Series

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The most unbelievable thing happened today.  Joey Votto had his first ever pop out to a first baseman.  In over 6800 career plate appearances, he had never popped out to the first baseman.  How is that even possible!?

And Votto does something last night against the Padres he has never done before...lead off the game with a HR.

And Roark accomplished something in the 4th you rarely see.....a 3 pitch inning.

I love listening to the Cubs radio broadcast.  Those fellas do some trivia.  I was listening today.....on this date in 1939 was Ted Williams' debut.  It happened against the Yankees.  Was the only time that Ted and Gehrig played a game against each other.  Now this is the part I didn't get the answer for because I was on the phone.  That particular game featured 12 HoFers , that is amazing but the way the question was worded made me think that all 12 were not playing in the game.  I am gonna lose sleep thinking on that one.

Oh and for Scott, they brought up one about the Reds.  Joey Votto is 4th on the Reds all-time HR list.  Who are the 3 ahead of him?  Bench, Frank Robinson, and Perez.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I love listening to the Cubs radio broadcast.  Those fellas do some trivia.  I was listening today.....on this date in 1939 was Ted Williams' debut.  It happened against the Yankees.  Was the only time that Ted and Gehrig played a game against each other.  Now this is the part I didn't get the answer for because I was on the phone.  That particular game featured 12 HoFers , that is amazing but the way the question was worded made me think that all 12 were not playing in the game.  I am gonna lose sleep thinking on that one.

Oh and for Scott, they brought up one about the Reds.  Joey Votto is 4th on the Reds all-time HR list.  Who are the 3 ahead of him?  Bench, Frank Robinson, and Perez.

Wonder if that included managers? Williams, Gehrig, DiMaggio, McCarthy...I think Jimmie Foxx was with Boston then.....

Man, that's a good one.

My favorite trivia question is: October 3,1951,Polo Grounds, New York. Giants down 4-2. 2 runners on. Bobby Thompson at the plate.

Most people know what happened next.

The question is, who was on deck?

1 hour ago, rico said:

I could have sworn Pokey Reese had more homers than Votto.  :coffee:

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wonder if that included managers? Williams, Gehrig, DiMaggio, McCarthy...I think Jimmie Foxx was with Boston then.....

Man, that's a good one.

My favorite trivia question is: October 3,1951,Polo Grounds, New York. Giants down 4-2. 2 runners on. Bobby Thompson at the plate.

Most people know what happened next.

The question is, who was on deck?

Willie Mays

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I would say managers were included.  So I do believe Cronin was the manager of the Bosox.  I also imagine Ruth had something to do with the Yanks at that time.  Other than the guys you named...Bill Dickey comes to mind.  But after that I draw a blank.  Not looking this one up...and I am pissed at my Sister for calling me when such an important trivia question was being discussed.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

5 of the 8 position players in the Reds lineup tonight have batting averages below the Mendoza line.  

An interesting side note is all 5 of those players are former Dodgers.  LA has Cincy's GM on speed dial under the label 'Sucker'.  

Archived