2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maddon reached 400 wins with Cubs last night. Fastest to 400 with 1 team since Joe Torre did with Yankees in 90's. I don't think some of my brethren realize how good he actually is. 

I think he's a good manager. I'm just not sure in the last 2 years he has gotten or going forward will get the best out of this group.

Let me ask you this...how far do you think he has to take this team this year to earn an extension?

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think he's a good manager. I'm just not sure in the last 2 years he has gotten or going forward will get the best out of this group.

Let me ask you this...how far do you think he has to take this team this year to earn an extension?

I think he needs a WS appearance.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe a WS appearance or Title would get him a new contract (and I think deservedly) but I think Theo has already made that decision. No matter the result this year Theo will be hiring a new manager unless no one is available at all. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe a WS appearance or Title would get him a new contract (and I think deservedly) but I think Theo has already made that decision. No matter the result this year Theo will be hiring a new manager unless no one is available at all. 

I don't see any way they can't re-sign him if he at least gets to the WS. Other than that, I think he's a goner.

Interesting read on Maddon in today's Sun-Times

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't see any way they can't re-sign him if he at least gets to the WS. Other than that, I think he's a goner.

Interesting read on Maddon in today's Sun-Times

Agree all day and I want him back because he's got a pulse of the team better than anyone. When the gist of that article started circulating yesterday afternoon some (not all) Cubs fans finally (and painfully )realized the lineups are set before every series because that's how the players want it. Thought it was an equally strong move by Ben and Joe...ironically it was Ben that delivered the winning hit. 

Hopefully it will calm down the Cubs/lineup fans. People were critical of Almora not playing after Friday's 4 hit performance. Decision was already made and anyone who has watched Almora hit this year realized his 4 hit game matched his hit totals on the year...haha.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Reds talking about calling up Senzel this weekend.  I hope they do and I hope they start an outfield of Puig, Senzel, and Winker for 90% plus of the time.  I don't need to see any more of Schebler and Kemp (on the DL anyway)

I agree.  Time we get a heavy dose of Nick.  I trade Schebler and Kemp for a bag of peanuts.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nice to see Schwarber hit game winning 2 run dong last night to win game. He's raised his batting average 50 points in the last 7-10 days. Hopefully it's a sign of him being more consistent. 

Did I read the box correctly?  Schwarber in LF, Bryant the DH?

1 minute ago, rico said:

And speaking of the Cubs...what are they going to do with Russell?

Lots of factors in play on this one. No clue honestly. They have so many moving parts on this one. Contract, players association....and of course the pressure of having someone on roster who did these things. He'll start at AAA on Friday. From there I have no clue. You want to see a person get help and maybe turn them into a better person....but should that be on your own dime? Or causing distractions in the clubhouse because people ask everyday about it?

If it were up to me. I'd say fresh start somewhere else if they can find another team willing to trade for him. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

If the Cubs do put Russell on the big league team.....whose roster spot does he take?

Purely a guess. Mark Zagunis. Bigger question might be if Ian Happ gets called back up because he's doing much better after his stint at AAA....which player goes down for him? Just pure speculation on my part but I could see a trade coming soon where Theo packages any of these guys I just mentioned for bullpen help. Helps us in pen...and eliminates who goes down up, down up...Russell stuff all in one move. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Purely a guess. Mark Zagunis. Bigger question might be if Ian Happ gets called back up because he's doing much better after his stint at AAA....which player goes down for him? Just pure speculation on my part but I could see a trade coming soon where Theo packages any of these guys I just mentioned for bullpen help. Helps us in pen...and eliminates who goes down up, down up...Russell stuff all in one move. 

I actually wouldn't mind Addison on the Reds.  I think we could work out a deal.

After a horrible 2-7 start Cubs are 14-5 since. Start a stretch where we play 26 of next 27 days...but 17 of next 23 are at home. Real good chance to get 10-13 games above .500 by the end of May. Still need Rizzo, Bryant to heat up but there are signs of that happening. Baez, Contreras, and Heyward all hitting over .300

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

NL Central Division is 12 games over .500.  NL West is 7 games over .500.  All other divisions below .500.  Outside of the Marlins, the Reds have played an absolutely brutal schedule so far.  

I think the date was April 13th where the Reds started a stretch of 29 games with 22 of them being on the road.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Nice pitching last night from the Reds. Finally was able to watch a little.

Pitching has been pretty solid all year.  Mahle is the only starter not pitching well right now.  The hitting is simply atrocious.  I'm hoping Senzel does get the call tomorrow and can spark the offense.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Pitching has been pretty solid all year.  Mahle is the only starter not pitching well right now.  The hitting is simply atrocious.  I'm hoping Senzel does get the call tomorrow and can spark the offense.

Team ERA sits at 3.28.........team BA is a robust .210

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Team ERA sits at 3.28.........team BA is a robust .210

Read an article last night they are a gamblers dream for the under. Excellent pitching/horrible hitting. Reds are 20-6-1 this season so far when taking the under. Always a silver lining!

Archived