2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inching closer and closer to automated strike zone. Cubs/Phillies game today. Yes. I'm a homer but also a pretty objective homer (how's that for an oxymoron). Anyway...when Cubs are batting it's shoelaces to armpits. When Cubs are pitching it's essentially the belt only. Wouldn't surprise me if Maddon gets run today. Schwarber just had an at bat where the 3 strikes called against him were all out of the K Zone box. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm inching closer and closer to automated strike zone. Cubs/Phillies game today. Yes. I'm a homer but also a pretty objective homer (how's that for an oxymoron). Anyway...when Cubs are batting it's shoelaces to armpits. When Cubs are pitching it's essentially the belt only. Wouldn't surprise me if Maddon gets run today. Schwarber just had an at bat where the 3 strikes called against him were all out of the K Zone box. 

Schwarber strikes back!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Well if they start having computers or robots being officials I will stop watching sports.  The games for at least right now are played by humans then let  humans officiate as well.  To me trying to make the game perfect is taking a lot of excitement away from sports.  To me I hate replay in baseball because it took out some entertainment because you no longer see managers and umpires arguing.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It was nice to see a manger let a hot starting pitcher pitch well into a game.  Iowa's coach allowed his starter to go 8 innings and 110 pitches but major league managers have to take their starters out after 5 or 6 innings.

If it bothers you that much then don't follow the games.  Geez, let it go.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For the second time this season, the Twins hit 8 home runs in a game today. 

Wondering that this has to be some kind of record 

Keep an eye on it.  Some of these "obscurities" don't get noticed until the next day...or at least the Elias Sports Bureau says so.

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It looks like it is the first time ever, unless Toronto or Cincinnati have done it. They're the only 2 teams to hit more than 8 in a game. I don't have more time to look into it more, but it could be found pretty easily I'm sure.

Edit: I was still half asleep when I was looking through the list. Texas did it in 2005.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/team_record_most_home_runs_in_a_game.shtml

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was looking around at home run records in a game by one team, and while 8 is good, in the AL the record is 10 by the Blue Jay's in 1987. The NL record is 9 by the Reds in 1999. Texas hit 8 in a game twice in the same year (2005).

One other note, the most HRs in an inning is 5. The Twinks, the only team in the AL to do it, did it in 1966.

Surprisingly, it's happened in the NL 4 times. Giants (1939), Phillies (1949), Giants (1961), and Brewers (2006).

And in every NL instance, it was against the same team...The Reds!

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well if they start having computers or robots being officials I will stop watching sports.  The games for at least right now are played by humans then let  humans officiate as well.  To me trying to make the game perfect is taking a lot of excitement away from sports.  To me I hate replay in baseball because it took out some entertainment because you no longer see managers and umpires arguing.

While I'm probably as "old school" as you are in most instances concerning sports, I think having a 3D modeling computer call balls and strikes is the right thing to do.

As I said in an earlier thread, I've seen some egregious examples of crappy umpiring from behind the plate. Eric Gregg in game 5 of the 1997 NLCS comes to mind. Liven Hernandez was getting calls a good 6 inches off the plate. The Braves hitters couldn't have reached them with a boat oar.

Heck, Ron Luciano even admitted that umps "have it in" for some players who they've had a beef with. 

I do think showing the strike zone during the game has been beneficial.  Makes the umps be at least half honest about it. Why not make it 100% honest?

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I'm probably as "old school" as you are in most instances concerning sports, I think having a 3D modeling computer call balls and strikes is the right thing to do.

As I said in an earlier thread, I've seen some egregious examples of crappy umpiring from behind the plate. Eric Gregg in game 5 of the 1997 NLCS comes to mind. Liven Hernandez was getting calls a good 6 inches off the plate. The Braves hitters couldn't have reached them with a boat oar.

Heck, Ron Luciano even admitted that umps "have it in" for some players who they've had a beef with. 

I do think showing the strike zone during the game has been beneficial.  Makes the umps be at least half honest about it. Why not make it 100% honest?

I'm struggling as I'm sure many are. Human error is one thing in sports. It sucks but I can deal. What I can't deal with is a strike zone that changes inning to inning, batter to batter, and game to game and one conclusion to draw from a moving target is either bias or just incompetence. If it's one of those two things I'm all for correcting it with technology. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was looking around at home run records in a game by one team, and while 8 is good, in the AL the record is 10 by the Blue Jay's in 1987. The NL record is 9 by the Reds in 1999. Texas hit 8 in a game twice in the same year (2005).

One other note, the most HRs in an inning is 5. The Twinks, the only team in the AL to do it, did it in 1966.

Surprisingly, it's happened in the NL 4 times. Giants (1939), Phillies (1949), Giants (1961), and Brewers (2006).

And in every NL instance, it was against the same team...The Reds!

And that goes to show how bad the Reds' pitching has been historically.  Ugh.

Interesting stat regarding Tampa. Pretty unreal. I don't know the local market in terms of people there want but there has to be other markets in the country who would support a team. 

The #Rays finished last in attendance 6 years in a row - with a winning record. The only other teams since WW2 to do that 5+ years in a row: the '46-51 Browns, '55-59 Senators & 1998-2004 Expos.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting stat regarding Tampa. Pretty unreal. I don't know the local market in terms of people there want but there has to be other markets in the country who would support a team. 

The #Rays finished last in attendance 6 years in a row - with a winning record. The only other teams since WW2 to do that 5+ years in a row: the '46-51 Browns, '55-59 Senators & 1998-2004 Expos.

Their stadium is atrocious and unfortunately people in Florida don’t really care about pro baseball. Or they’re transplants and fans of other teams. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I love stuff like this. 

A team that always played 2nd fiddle to the Cardinals, the original version of the Senators (now the Twinks), and a team that moved to Washington. No wonder they all moved.

Apropos I suppose.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I love stuff like this. 

A team that always played 2nd fiddle to the Cardinals, the original version of the Senators (now the Twinks), and a team that moved to Washington. Apropos I suppose.

Maybe Charlotte or Nashville would be choices. Quick google search suggest no corporate sponsorship for team, location of stadium (across the bridge), and lack of discretionary income for local residents (Tampa is next to last, Miami is last....both have horrible attendance). Not sure the solution but I know whatever they have in Tampa isn't working. MLB will probably be forced to step in I would guess.

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Their stadium is atrocious and unfortunately people in Florida don’t really care about pro baseball. Or they’re transplants and fans of other teams. 

You touched on something there.  I wonder what their attendance is when they play the Yankees as compared to when they play anybody else?

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

So you can only watch games with people who root for the exact same teams you like? Lol

it was a joke.  My best friend growing up was Purdue fan and all of his family went to Purdue.  The first job I got out of college my boss was a Purdue fan and I went with him to many of the Wooden Tradition games in Bankers life.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe Charlotte or Nashville would be choices. Quick google search suggest no corporate sponsorship for team, location of stadium (across the bridge), and lack of discretionary income for local residents (Tampa is next to last, Miami is last....both have horrible attendance). Not sure the solution but I know whatever they have in Tampa isn't working. MLB will probably be forced to step in I would guess.

From earlier this year...

https://www.jacobtwalters.com/the-blog/the-rays-attendance-woes

Archived