2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh I’m sure it’s way up there. Same with Red Sox I’m sure. 

I got a cousin that lives in Marathon, FLA...Cub fan and a native Hoosier.  He swallows up those tickets when the Cubs are in Miami or Tampa.

Got home from track for a quick break just in time to see Cubs pen woes. Cubs are 9 for 19 in save opportunities this season so far. 3rd worst in baseball. Imagine where we would be with an actual bullpen that's setup correctly. I know guys are injured but it needs to be addressed.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Got home from track for a quick break just in time to see Cubs pen woes. Cubs are 9 for 19 in save opportunities this season so far. 3rd worst in baseball. Imagine where we would be with an actual bullpen that's setup correctly. I know guys are injured but it needs to be addressed.

Correction 9-20 now. Blew it again after Cubs took lead. Unreal and disheartening for team.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Correction 9-20 now. Blew it again after Cubs took lead. Unreal and disheartening for team.

Cubs have lost 3 of 4 to Reds this year including 2 blown saves. I'm going to be nice here because I know some of my favorite posters on this site are Reds fans but no way this should happen. If the Cubs mantra of make every game count is true....make it. Bullpen has sucked all year. PS...Suarez is a Cubs killer.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs have lost 3 of 4 to Reds this year including 2 blown saves. I'm going to be nice here because I know some of my favorite posters on this site are Reds fans but no way this should happen. If the Cubs mantra of make every game count is true....make it. Bullpen has sucked all year. PS...Suarez is a Cubs killer.

I keep getting this sinking feeling that we're going to piss away another year of the core players prime.

There'll be some relievers on the market around the trade deadline (Sean Doolittle?) but we'll  have to give something up (Happ? Russell?) 

Or maybe it's time to offer Kimbrel big money for the rest of the year...

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not going to be nice.  :coffee:

Name:  gty_619132748_863457381.jpg Views: 128 Size:  184.3 KB

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I keep getting this sinking feeling that we're going to piss away another year of the core players prime.

There'll be some relievers on the market around the trade deadline (Sean Doolittle?) but we'll  have to give something up (Happ? Russell?) 

Or maybe it's time to offer Kimbrel big money for the rest of the year...

This article is a pretty good summary why the Cubs haven't gone after Kimbrel yet. Theo would have done it already if he thought it was worth losing picks, $,etc...

https://www.bleachernation.com/2019/05/21/cubs-will-be-in-on-free-agent-closer-craig-kimbrel-after-the-draft/

This part of the article was interesting...

"And, for the free agents, being uncoupled from compensation can only help their own bottom line, both because of the reduced “cost” to teams to sign them, and also potentially a little more competition for their services."

If the Cubs have an eye on someone they think they can get at #27 in the draft, and they're really high on them, I can understand (and I also understand that might not be the only compensation they have to give up). But if you think you can get him for a couple of years at the price the author stated, then maybe it would be worth it to try now. After the draft, I guarantee the Cubs won't be the only one looking for bullpen help.

If we can't get some help through free agency, I'd hate to pay a steep price like we did in 2016 for Aroldis Chapman. Not saying it wasn't worth it because we did win the WS, but Gleyber Torres is going to be an all-star for years to come.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This part of the article was interesting...

"And, for the free agents, being uncoupled from compensation can only help their own bottom line, both because of the reduced “cost” to teams to sign them, and also potentially a little more competition for their services."

If the Cubs have an eye on someone they think they can get at #27 in the draft, and they're really high on them, I can understand (and I also understand that might not be the only compensation they have to give up). But if you think you can get him for a couple of years at the price the author stated, then maybe it would be worth it to try now. After the draft, I guarantee the Cubs won't be the only one looking for bullpen help.

If we can't get some help through free agency, I'd hate to pay a steep price like we did in 2016 for Aroldis Chapman. Not saying it wasn't worth it because we did win the WS, but Gleyber Torres is going to be an all-star for years to come.

Tough balance for sure and I'm glad we have the best in the business managing the situation in Theo. Torres is a good to great player but that trade didn't bother me as much considering we have one of the best if not the best SS in baseball in Javy Baez. Torres was expendable to me unless he was going to convert to 2nd (wasn't going to 3rd because of Bryant).

Either way I think we'll get our bullpen addressed very soon. Strop coming back and likelihood of adding someone we could have a pretty good 7, 8, 9 inning guys here in about 2 weeks. 

Reds blew this one today and I still think we need to replace Winker in left field because he is still not getting any better.  He has hit 10 homeruns but only 17 RBI's and only batting .208 and today killed us by hitting into two double plays.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds blew this one today and I still think we need to replace Winker in left field because he is still not getting any better.  He has hit 10 homeruns but only 17 RBI's and only batting .208 and today killed us by hitting into two double plays.

The Cubs blew the game Friday, so we're even.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Good series for the Reds taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs. The 43 hits the Reds had in this series was the most they had at Wrigley since 1976

C'mon man.  Are you such a Reds fan that you can't even like the Schwarber photo?  That is totally awesome.

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

C'mon man.  Are you such a Reds fan that you can't even like the Schwarber photo?  That is totally awesome.

Well since he was playing against my team I did not really care but yes that is a cool picture.  Still glad he went 0-4 and struck out 3 times today.

OK Scott.  Imagine you will get paid $1 million dollars to like one, and only one, photo.  Your choices are:

• Kyle Schwarber decked out like he is in the above photo
  • Eugenio Suarez rocking a bunch of Purdue gear,.
  • Rob Phinisee wearing a Cardinal cap and a Yadier Molina jersey.
  • Matt Haarms wearing only a Reds cap and a Nick Senzel speedo.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

OK Scott.  Imagine you will get paid $1 million dollars to like one, and only one, photo.  Your choices are:

• Kyle Schwarber decked out like he is in the above photo
  • Eugenio Suarez rocking a bunch of Purdue gear,.
  • Rob Phinisee wearing a Cardinal cap and a Yadier Molina jersey.
  • Matt Haarms wearing only a Reds cap and a Nick Senzel speedo.

I said I like the Schwarber photo

Archived