2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My angst for the Mets still runs deep but from a different era. Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez, Carter, Backman, HoJo, Mookie, Darling, Orosco.....I'd love to know Cubs winning % vs them during that run but it can't be over .250

I actually kept a close eye on them during those years...know a guy that was in their system.

1 minute ago, rico said:

That's fine...what did they give up to get him?

Probably to much but I would take it for a championship and they sure gave up more than the Yankees gave the Reds for him.  also I am not talking about the top of the line relievers but a good veteran lefty that can come in a get some god lefties out.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably to much but I would take it for a championship and they sure gave up more than the Yankees gave the Reds for him.  also I am not talking about the top of the line relievers but a good veteran lefty that can come in a get some god lefties out.

Understood...I just don't like doing it.  

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

4 minor leaguers, but Gleyber Torres was the big one. Currently .283/16/40 with the Yankees, and an all-star candidate.

Well the Reds got 4 minor leaguers for chapman from the Yankees and only one ever made it tot he major league but is no longer part of the Reds organization(Rookie Davis).

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

4 minor leaguers, but Gleyber Torres was the big one. Currently .283/16/40 with the Yankees, and an all-star candidate.

Product of Theo being so good at his job. They had Baez/Russell ahead of him so the deal made sense to me. Went for the title and got it. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Product of Theo being so good at his job. They had Baez/Russell ahead of him so the deal made sense to me. Went for the title and got it. 

I don't have an issue with the trade...Catch 22. No Chapman, possibly no WS Championship. Trade Russell rather than Torres? Well, Torres wasn't ready then, and Russell had some big hits in the WS run. So no.

Would the Yankees trade Torres even up for Russell now? No way.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't have an issue with the trade...Catch 22. No Chapman, possibly no WS Championship. Trade Russell rather than Torres? Well, Torres wasn't ready then, and Russell had some big hits in the WS run. So no.

Would the Yankees trade Torres even up for Russell now? No way.

It's funny how those work sometimes. Like right now with Quintana and Eloy deal. When Theo did that he was getting a dominant left handed innings eater with controlled contract for 4 seasons for a very talented but unproven hitter. We'll see how it shakes out. Jimenez is very good but so was Jorge Soler and Jermaine Dye at these stages. Unlike some of my brethren I don't want to say who wins a deal for a few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Makes total geographic sense 

I know that is "tongue in cheek"...I think the Rays should just move, but not to Montreal.  Lots of other cities to choose from here in the States.  Charlotte?  Vegas?  I dunno.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Encouraging outing from Adbert Alzolay last night. The Cubs can always use more arms.

This Tampa-Montreal thing. If they do this, just change their name to Snowbirds.

Alzolay's stuff is very, very good. Will be shocked if he isn't on the mound again in 5 days in some capacity with Hendricks probably missing another start. Alzolay would have been up last year but was hurt. Either way....another great arm for Cubs and obviously shows that Theo didn't stop drafting players. Add all of that plus a win and Reds beat Brewers...pretty good night.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Alzolay's stuff is very, very good. Will be shocked if he isn't on the mound again in 5 days in some capacity with Hendricks probably missing another start. Alzolay would have been up last year but was hurt. Either way....another great arm for Cubs and obviously shows that Theo didn't stop drafting players. Add all of that plus a win and Reds beat Brewers...pretty good night.

Think he bumps Chatwood back into the pen? Tyler wasn't terrible, and his control was ok, but he wasn't great either.

Looking at the boxscore and play by play though, I have to wonder, if Maddon knew he was going to run  Adbert out there to start the top of 5th inning, why did he let Chatwood bat (leadoff...walked) in the bottom of the 4th? Am I missing something? 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Think he bumps Chatwood back into the pen? Tyler wasn't terrible, and his control was ok, but he wasn't great either.

Looking at the boxscore and play by play though, I have to wonder, if Maddon knew he was going to run  Adbert out there to start the top of 5th inning, why did he let Chatwood bat (leadoff...walked) in the bottom of the 4th? Am I missing something? 

My guess is just the obvious. Didn't want to burn a pinch hitter or player in the 4th plus Tommy is actually pretty good at the plate for a pitcher.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My guess is just the obvious. Didn't want to burn a pinch hitter or player in the 4th plus Tommy is actually pretty good at the plate for a pitcher.

I guess in this day of 13 man pitching staffs, it has to be managed differently. 

Still, I'd never let a pitcher hit if I knew he was coming out in the top half of the inning (unless it was Babe Ruth). Not only am I sure I have a better hitter on the bench, I wouldn't want a pitcher running the bases unnecessarily.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll throw this Rocky Bridges quote in...

"There are three things that the average man thinks he can do better than anyone else. Build a fire, run a hotel and manage a baseball team."

😁

It's a classic! I'll also add run a bar to that list too!

Archived