2019 MLB Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Amen.

Lately it appears the  league has made some adjustments to Castillo.  Early on even with a low strike rate he was getting batters out because they were swinging and missing a lot of pitches that was out of the strike zone  Now it appears that the batters are being more patient with him and not swinging at all the balls out of the strike zone and causing him to walk more batters.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

What's with the Expo fascination all of a sudden?

I just saw where the Nationals are going to be wearing Expo throwback jerseys for a game in July??

Well the Nats are the old Expos.

I think headed into the season most thought (I know I did) NL Central would be one of the toughest divisions in baseball. Still might play out that way because baseball is such a long season. I'm seeing a whole lot of inconsistent and average at best play. Season is half over after today for Cubs.

Strange time. I think it's very fair for Cubs players to say it's a long season and they are leading the division. I also think it's very fair for fans to say we saw a 95 win team last year give up a 5 game lead in September last year and lose in the wild card series (big disappointment)...with having the look of same results this year. I think my best plan is take a hiatus from twitter during Cubs games. Tilt mode is about 75% of our fans right now. Haha.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think headed into the season most thought (I know I did) NL Central would be one of the toughest divisions in baseball. Still might play out that way because baseball is such a long season. I'm seeing a whole lot of inconsistent and average at best play. Season is half over after today for Cubs.

Strange time. I think it's very fair for Cubs players to say it's a long season and they are leading the division. I also think it's very fair for fans to say we saw a 95 win team last year give up a 5 game lead in September last year and lose in the wild card series (big disappointment)...with having the look of same results this year. I think my best plan is take a hiatus from twitter during Cubs games. Tilt mode is about 75% of our fans right now. Haha.

I got to be honest here...I am starting to really get concerned about the Cubs.  I realize the division is tough...but they are not making hay outside of it.

Reds lose again so they have now lost 4 in a row.  I knew when they brought in Inglesias last night in a tie game in the 8th inning he was going to give up a run to lose the game.  I was wrong he gave up 4 runs and the Reds lost the game 5-1.  He is now 1-7 and if he does not come into a save situation he is just terrible and with the Reds not having a lot of save situations there is no need to have him on the team.

7 hours ago, rico said:

I got to be honest here...I am starting to really get concerned about the Cubs.  I realize the division is tough...but they are not making hay outside of it.

I was really pissed about an hour ago. Down 6-1 Braves. Just scored 7 in last two innings. Up 8-7. But to your point. Concern is rampant. Baseball seasons are long but we are 14-19 over our last 33 games. The NFL equivalent to 1-3 start. Crap has to stop. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was really pissed about an hour ago. Down 6-1 Braves. Just scored 7 in last two innings. Up 8-7. But to your point. Concern is rampant. Baseball seasons are long but we are 14-19 over our last 33 games. The NFL equivalent to 1-3 start. Crap has to stop. 

Are we going to see Kimbrell today?

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Are we going to see Kimbrell today?

Yes.  He got the save.  He got two easy outs, but then lost a little steam and gave up a double and a walk.  Freeman hit one sharply down the RF line, but Rizzo was playing him perfectly.  Kimbrell forgot to cover first, and Rizzo made a head first slide to tag the base and barely beat Freeman.  He's obviously not at full power.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The strategy is in place. 5 or 6 innings from starters. Use the bullpen an inning a piece and Kimbrel shuts it down. 1-0 Post Kimbrel. Season starts over. 

Another less than stellar outing by Chatwood. He can't say he hasn't had his chances.

I wonder if, when Hendricks gets back, there's been any talk about moving Quintana out of the rotation, and going with Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Darvish, and Alzolay?

Quitana's June ERA is 6.39. He's slated to go against Castillo on Saturday. If he continues his June swoon, I hope they pull him.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Another less than stellar outing by Chatwood. He can't say he hasn't had his chances.

I wonder if, when Hendricks gets back, there's been any talk about moving Quintana out of the rotation, and going with Lester, Hamels, Hendricks, Darvish, and Alzolay?

Quitana's June ERA is 6.39. He's slated to go against Castillo on Saturday. If he continues his June swoon, I hope they pull him.

I think any and everything is on the table. Until the players perform to expectations my guess is Theo/Jed are mulling over dozens of scenarios and how they playout each day. Chatwood and Montgomery certainly could be moved. Maybe a fresh start would be best. Hopefully Q will figure it out. His stuff was really good until last few starts. Cubs could even go to 6 man rotation to give Lester/Hamels, and Hendricks shoulder extra rest during dog days of summer. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think any and everything is on the table. Until the players perform to expectations my guess is Theo/Jed are mulling over dozens of scenarios and how they playout each day. Chatwood and Montgomery certainly could be moved. Maybe a fresh start would be best. Hopefully Q will figure it out. His stuff was really good until last few starts. Cubs could even go to 6 man rotation to give Lester/Hamels, and Hendricks shoulder extra rest during dog days of summer. 

Any way you slice it, I think it's time to end the Gonzales/Descalso experiment. The Cubs have guys down in Iowa that can exceed their contributions Zagunis? Garcia?  Happ? I know they have Ian working on his swing down there, but I'm sure he can top .187 and .175. plus he provides outfield flexibility.

I understand veterans and their (poor) numbers don't always define their overall contributions, but come on...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Any way you slice it, I think it's time to end the Gonzales/Descalso experiment. The Cubs have guys down in Iowa that can exceed their contributions Zagunis? Garcia?  Happ? I know they have Ian working on his swing down there, but I'm sure he can top .187 and .175. plus he provides outfield flexibility.

I understand veterans and their (poor) numbers don't always define their overall contributions, but come on...

I'm ready to see Garcia get his chance. Guy has 20+ dongs already and is pretty clean infielder. Theo and Joe for that matter have always been patient. Especially with vets but I agree there comes a time where production has to be the only factor. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Chatwood just isn't a starter.  Quintana and Darvish really suck.  Alzolay has been able to go 4 with excellent results, but in both outings he got into trouble in his 5th inning and got pulled.  Hendricks is supposed to be back after All-Star break.

Archived