2019 MLB Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Strange. You can never just compliment. Yu's stuff has been good to very good in most of his starts recently. Cubs did what they should do vs the Reds or anyone in baseball. Win a home series. Nothing more nothing less. 

Well if I am not mistaken this was Darvich first win in Wrigley unless I miss another one because the last time the Reds faced him they kept talking about how he never won there.  Also a 4.50 ERA is not great and he is usually a 5 inning pitcher so the Reds should win a game when we have the better pitcher pitching.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I have officially given up on the Reds.  Took a little longer than it has the last few years, but I am there.  Basketball season cannot get here soon enough.

If I'm a Reds fan there is some pieces there and encouraged the front office actually did something this past off season. The old saying water usually finds it's level. 7.5 out with 10 games coming up vs teams with better records. I think I mentioned last month that if the Cubs didn't have their collective heads up their backside this would have happened earlier. 

Either way. Will be curious if Reds throw in the towel if they go 3-7 vs Cards, Brewers, Rockies and fall to 10 out before trade deadline. 

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have officially given up on the Reds.  Took a little longer than it has the last few years, but I am there.  Basketball season cannot get here soon enough.

NSF my friend, football season is next up.  Sadly, I understand where you are coming from.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if I am not mistaken this was Darvich first win in Wrigley unless I miss another one because the last time the Reds faced him they kept talking about how he never won there.  Also a 4.50 ERA is not great and he is usually a 5 inning pitcher so the Reds should win a game when we have the better pitcher pitching.

And Mario Soto says hello.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

True, but it's long been established that Darvish has superior "stuff." I've seen him be dominating (like today...83 pitches, 60 strikes, 2 hits, 0 BB, 7 Ks) and I've seen him be "mediocre."

I actually wondered today why Maddon pulled him. I know he's had arm issues this year. Maybe on a pitch count.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True, but it's long been established that Darvish has superior "stuff." I've seen him be dominating (like today...83 pitches, 60 strikes, 2 hits, 0 BB, 7 Ks) and I've seen him be "mediocre."

I actually wondered today why Maddon pulled him. I know he's had arm issues this year. Maybe on a pitch count.

I imagine it was the heat...his pitch count was 83.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Dang....but I understand.

What a different world. Ayden got a Cubs autograph on his glove and says Dad I want to save this will you buy me a new one? This weekend we will go glove shopping.

I do wish I had that. I had so many Pete Rose and Johnny Bench and Other early 80's Reds autograph.  At the time is was just something cool. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

What a different world. Ayden got a Cubs autograph on his glove and says Dad I want to save this will you buy me a new one? This weekend we will go glove shopping.

I do wish I had that. I had so many Pete Rose and Johnny Bench and Other early 80's Reds autograph.  At the time is was just something cool. 

I did the same thing bro.

I remember getting the only foul ball I have ever gotten when I was around 12 years old.  I said I would never lose this and keep it forever but we needed a ball to use and some how lost the ball.  It was back in the early 80's at River front stadium and the /giants Johnny Lamaster hit the foul ball.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember getting the only foul ball I have ever gotten when I was around 12 years old.  I said I would never lose this and keep it forever but we needed a ball to use and some how lost the ball.  It was back in the early 80's at River front stadium and the /giants Johnny Lamaster hit the foul ball.

I did that myself with a foul ball hit by Dave Parker...my God what was I thinking.

9 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I got a Soto autograph on my baseball glove when I was like 9 years old.  Met him in the parking garage under Riverfront Stadium

Davey Lopes was my first glove. Got it signed (I think) by him. I threw it to one of the Dodgers and I couldn't see him actually sign it but it returned with his name on it. Was a Lopes fan until Ryne Sandberg came along. All I wanted to do was play 2B in the majors. Haha. Somehow when I left for IU and my Dad's new wife moved in it was lost. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Davey Lopes was my first glove. Got it signed (I think) by him. I threw it to one of the Dodgers and I couldn't see him actually sign it but it returned with his name on it. Was a Lopes fan until Ryne Sandberg came along. All I wanted to do was play 2B in the majors. Haha. Somehow when I left for IU and my Dad's new wife moved in it was lost. 

Baseball like no other sport IMO tends to lend itself to more stories like ours. 

My whole life I have been to well over a 100 MLB games 0 balls. Ayden has been to about 10 and has 17 balls. 

My 3 favorite players when I was growing up were Bench, Eric Davis and JR. saw each play numerous times never did I see any hit a homerun live. 

Aydens 3 favorited are Aaron Judge, Kyle Schwarber and Votto he has see each hut a homerun and has gotten a ball from each. For him those are memories that will last forever.

Side note I was in bathroom changing Aydens poopy diaper when JR hit a homerun I came out in time to see him rounding 3rd and heading home.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I did that myself with a foul ball hit by Dave Parker...my God what was I thinking.

I went with 3 of my Red fan friends to a couple of games in Riverfront against the Pirates in I think it was 1973 or 74. Parker hit one into the 3rd deck in batting practice. Not many went there. None of us had ever even heard of him before.

As for the games, I remember Ed Kirkpatrick hit a HR each of the 2 nights (after that, my best friend always called him "Ed @#$#&- Kirkpatrick") and the Reds lost both games.

Long trip back to Martinsville with those 3.

Archived