2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Cards complete a comeback for the ages. Down 7-0, score 12 unanswered, and hold on to win 12-11. They couldn’t get that bum Lavarnway out for some reason. 

Can we talk about that bonehead play by Iglesias trying to get the guy at 2nd? Take the easy out at first and that big inning possibly doesn’t happen. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cards complete a comeback for the ages. Down 7-0, score 12 unanswered, and hold on to win 12-11. They couldn’t get that bum Lavarnway out for some reason. 

Can we talk about that bonehead play by Iglesias trying to get the guy at 2nd? Take the easy out at first and that big inning possibly doesn’t happen. 

Never ceases to amaze me how not making the right play leads to big innings in baseball. Reds appear to be finding their level...or least the team I thought they've been all along. Setting up good race for Cards, Brewers, and Cubs. Curious who the Reds will trade though. There are some good pieces.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I was so full of optimism entering the all-star break...it has been quickly jerked out from underneath me.  When does football season start?

Season isn't over yet but Reds need to turn it around quickly or they'll have a decision to make here by trade deadline. I never take joy in other teams losing. I will say this though. The White Sox were starting to puff their chests out a little and some of the media in Chicago was discussing their rebuild was ahead of schedule. Them losing 7 of 8 to start the 2nd half has me smiling inside.

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Never ceases to amaze me how not making the right play leads to big innings in baseball. Reds appear to be finding their level...or least the team I thought they've been all along. Setting up good race for Cards, Brewers, and Cubs. Curious who the Reds will trade though. There are some good pieces.

Well they are down a few players with their top 3 catchers out and 3 of their top relievers are gone right now plus Senzel has not played for 3 games

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well they are down a few players with their top 3 catchers out and 3 of their top relievers are gone right now plus Senzel has not played for 3 games

Everyone has injuries. Cardinals are missing their best offensive player, their closer, and Molina

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Everyone has injuries. Cardinals are missing their best offensive player, their closer, and Molina

Just stating why they have started to play bad since the break.  Also just heard the Reds just lost another pitcher today in Mahle.  At the break they were 4.5 games back but have went 2-6 since the break and to me it is coinensedence that was when the injury bug really happened.  Not saying they were going to win  the division or even make the playoffs but this stretch totally ruined the season.

There has been reports out there that teams are asking for Costillio who is one of the better young pitchers so they have to decide what to do.  Try to build around him or trade him for a huge haul of top prospects and start another rebuild.  The problems the Reds have faced since 2013 is that they did not go in total rebuild mode but tried to piece it together.  Not getting anything back of value for Chapman, Cueto or Bruce totally killed them.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just ask the Yankees. Incredible job Boone has done and should be MOTY.....

Agree all day. 20+ with all the injuries is pretty darn good. My Cubs missed a few guys for lengths earlier in the year. Somehow our injuries get overlooked?? Haha

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just stating why they have started to play bad since the break.  Also just heard the Reds just lost another pitcher today in Mahle.  At the break they were 4.5 games back but have went 2-6 since the break and to me it is coinensedence that was when the injury bug really happened.  Not saying they were going to win  the division or even make the playoffs but this stretch totally ruined the season.

There has been reports out there that teams are asking for Costillio who is one of the better young pitchers so they have to decide what to do.  Try to build around him or trade him for a huge haul of top prospects and start another rebuild.  The problems the Reds have faced since 2013 is that they did not go in total rebuild mode but tried to piece it together.  Not getting anything back of value for Chapman, Cueto or Bruce totally killed them.

If the Reds deal Luis, my fandom will be tested to the max.

11 hours ago, rico said:

If the Reds deal Luis, my fandom will be tested to the max.

I think we all discussed earlier in the season. If your the Reds though....trade and load up on prospects now right? More than likely division is in other teams hands for next 3-4 years. Take the opportunity like the Padres did. Trade guys for picks and prospects and be ready in 2022/2023 when Cubs window might be closing.

This was Addison Russell's day yesterday summed up. Not sure which way Maddon will go with him.

Addison Russell today has not advanced on a wild pitch, gotten doubled off 2nd on a liner to LF the next pitch, lost a pop-up “double” in the sun that led to a run, didn’t score from 3rd on a groundball that the shortstop had to backhand, & tossed his bat in the stands on a K.

10 hours ago, rico said:

I hear ya Bro, and fwiw I am paying close attention to how the Reds handle Puig.

What do you think they should do with him? Coming up on 30, only signed through this year. 

Couple of things I don't know. How does he like Cincinnati, and what's he been like in the clubhouse? If both of those are good, if I were the Reds management, maybe at least see if he wants to talk about an extension. If not, you gotta explore getting something for him by the deadline.

The Reds can't break the bank on him...

This article has the number at 4 years, $75 million

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What do you think they should do with him? Coming up on 30, only signed through this year. 

Couple of things I don't know. How does he like Cincinnati, and what's he been like in the clubhouse? If both of those are good, if I were the Reds management, maybe at least see if he wants to talk about an extension. If not, you gotta explore getting something for him by the deadline.

The Reds can't break the bank on him...

I'm sure the offers and interest will be there. I think Puig is best with a veteran manager. Maybe a team like Giants or Indians who are in wildcard hunt.

Puig has been a great locker room guy for the Reds.  Done everything asked of him.  Plays his tail off, and the fans have embraced him.  Would like to see the Reds find a way to keep him, but understand if they can;t. 

Castillo is a different story.  He's the anchor to the rotation, and could be for many more years.  You cannot trade him at this point.  

As a Yankee fan, it's a special day in Cooperstown. The only player to be unanimously voted to the baseball HOF, Mariano Rivera will be inducted today. Man I wish he was still playing! Also fellow Yankee Mike, the Moose, Mussina, will also be inducted!

Did I mention the Yankees are 31 games over .500? Good times....

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As a Yankee fan, it's a special day in Cooperstown. The only player to be unanimously voted to the baseball HOF, Mariano Rivera will be inducted today. Man I wish he was still playing! Also fellow Yankee Mike, the Moose, Mussina, will also be inducted!

Did I mention the Yankees are 31 games over .500? Good times....

Purely for conversation. What is it that Boone is doing or has done that is so different from Girardi? Really impressed by the job he's done given all the injuries. Obviously Maddon isn't guaranteed anything after this year and Girardi's name is certainly going to be brought up. What did you like not like about him?

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Purely for conversation. What is it that Boone is doing or has done that is so different from Girardi? Really impressed by the job he's done given all the injuries. Obviously Maddon isn't guaranteed anything after this year and Girardi's name is certainly going to be brought up. What did you like not like about him?

I really didn't have anything bad about him. But from what I've read on Yankee boards, he managed strictly by the book and had it with him all the time. He never strayed from it. I also read where he was not a "players" manager and not easily accessible.

but as I have mentioned, I thought he was alright. I was more of a Joe Torre guy myself.

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I really didn't have anything bad about him. But from what I've read on Yankee boards, he managed strictly by the book and had it with him all the time. He never strayed from it. I also read where he was not a "players" manager and not easily accessible.

but as I have mentioned, I thought he was alright. I was more of a Joe Torre guy myself.

Thanks. Pretty much everything I've read and understood about him as well. I like Girardi but the Cubs locker room is built for a more friendly approach. Not sure which way is best. Hard to argue with results.

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Puig has been a great locker room guy for the Reds.  Done everything asked of him.  Plays his tail off, and the fans have embraced him.  Would like to see the Reds find a way to keep him, but understand if they can;t. 

Castillo is a different story.  He's the anchor to the rotation, and could be for many more years.  You cannot trade him at this point.  

My sentiments exactly.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Cubs have enough outfielders already or I'd be interested in him in a heartbeat. I love guys like Puig.

Archived