2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Puig has been a great locker room guy for the Reds.  Done everything asked of him.  Plays his tail off, and the fans have embraced him.  Would like to see the Reds find a way to keep him, but understand if they can;t. 

Castillo is a different story.  He's the anchor to the rotation, and could be for many more years.  You cannot trade him at this point.  

I agree with the Castillo point.

I'm pretty sure at this point the Reds know whether they think they have a shot at signing Puig to an extension. Looking at This chart I don't think 18 million is out of the question for him, and the 4 years would be a smart move (never been a fan of anything over 5 but I know the market says differently).

If they can't sign him, I'd be looking for a team that can give up a package around a 2nd tier kid in their system. I don't think you can get a top 100 prospect for him at this point.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm pretty sure at this point the Reds know whether they think they have a shot at signing him to an extension. Looking at This chart I don't think 18 million is out of the question for him, and the 4 years would be a smart move (never been a fan of anything over 5 but I know the market says differently).

If they can't sign him, I'd be looking for a team that can give up a package around a 2nd tier kid in their system. I don't think you can get a top 100 prospect for him at this point.

You don't think Castillo merits a top 100 prospect?  He's a top 10 pitcher in all of MLB.   A pitching hungry team battling for the playoffs would absolutely offer a top prospect.  My point is that the Reds should not be accepting prospects.  They have the real thing in Castillo, and should built around him.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You don't think Castillo merits a top 100 prospect?  He's a top 10 pitcher in all of MLB.   A pitching hungry team battling for the playoffs would absolutely offer a top prospect.  My point is that the Reds should not be accepting prospects.  They have the real thing in Castillo, and should built around him.

Wasn't talking about Castillo. Talking about Puig. I didn't make that very clear. Corrected it.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm pretty sure at this point the Reds know whether they think they have a shot at signing Puig to an extension. Looking at This chart I don't think 18 million is out of the question for him, and the 4 years would be a smart move (never been a fan of anything over 5 but I know the market says differently).

Puig should get a major return...but I am biased.

Cubs and Nicholas Castellanos talks sound like they are picking up. This would be ideal for Cubs. Move Heyward to CF, Castellanos to RF....and Castellanos also plays obviously 3B so on off days for Bryant. 

My guess is Ian Happ will be the one they ask for. He's been tearing it up at AAA and maybe hit the point where he was tradeable again. Hopefully this happens. Brings a position of need, a guy who can hit lefties (Dodgers pitching/Brewers pitching) and a veteran. 

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs and Nicholas Castellanos talks sound like they are picking up. This would be ideal for Cubs. Move Heyward to CF, Castellanos to RF....and Castellanos also plays obviously 3B so on off days for Bryant. 

My guess is Ian Happ will be the one they ask for. He's been tearing it up at AAA and maybe hit the point where he was tradeable again. Hopefully this happens. Brings a position of need, a guy who can hit lefties (Dodgers pitching/Brewers pitching) and a veteran. 

Unheralded and a very solid player.  Addison and Happ?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Unheralded and a very solid player.  Addison and Happ?

Just Happ. Castellanos is free agent after next season. Don't need to give up more than guy like Happ. Russell is going to be a tough one to value. Former All Star and has years ahead of him. I don't think Cubs are just going to give him away.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just Happ. Castellanos is free agent after next season. Don't need to give up more than guy like Happ. Russell is going to be a tough one to value. Former All Star and has years ahead of him. I don't think Cubs are just going to give him away.

I see that he is a Boras client...not good.

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This was Addison Russell's day yesterday summed up. Not sure which way Maddon will go with him.

Addison Russell today has not advanced on a wild pitch, gotten doubled off 2nd on a liner to LF the next pitch, lost a pop-up “double” in the sun that led to a run, didn’t score from 3rd on a groundball that the shortstop had to backhand, & tossed his bat in the stands on a K.

They should cut him loose. Was a mistake bringing him back after all of the off-field issues anyway. 

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cards take 3 of 4 from the Reds. I wasn’t confident they’d win today going against Castillo and with a getaway day lineup in there. But I’ll gladly take it. Now the hard part of the schedule begins. 

Castillo pitched Saturday, DeSclafani pitched Sunday.

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They should cut him loose. Was a mistake bringing him back after all of the off-field issues anyway. 

Hard to cut a former All Star loose. Has to be a willing trade party out there somewhere. If the options are cut him loose for nothing or help him get his head straight with the Cubs I'll take the latter.

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cards take 3 of 4 from the Reds. I wasn’t confident they’d win today going against Castillo and with a getaway day lineup in there. But I’ll gladly take it. Now the hard part of the schedule begins. 

Castillo pitched Saturday the only game the Reds won in the series because Disco pitched on Sunday. Never mind I saw where this was already posted

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hard to cut a former All Star loose. Has to be a willing trade party out there somewhere. If the options are cut him loose for nothing or help him get his head straight with the Cubs I'll take the latter.

What is Russell's contract status?

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we've done well since the break against sub .500 teams, let's see how we do against the hottest team (the Giants have won 16 of 20) in baseball and our 2 closest pursuers.

I get a rare treat tonight...the Cubs on TV.  Beer is ready.

Archived