2019 MLB Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said if all of this stuff was suppose to help  pitchers from getting injured it is not working.

Arms are more precious because velocity is up and there is much torque on the ligaments than ever before. I know you want to believe that pitchers in the 60s, 70s, and 80s were the greatest ever, but pitchers today are bigger and stronger than ever before. This absolutely makes a difference. You have to be able to throw harder with more movement on your pitchers to get hitters out in this day in age and physically guys just can't do it for 130 pitches a game.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said if all of this stuff was suppose to help  pitchers from getting injured it is not working.

It is working like others have said. The old guys just sucked it up and played made a great living and the next young stud was on there heals so they pitch through injury. Dont tell anyone just suck it up and throw. Now days both sides have tone of money on the line.  You have soreness or stiffness you skip a start. Back in the day if the arm was still attached you threw

Just now, rico said:

I have no problem with what Maddon or Bell did last night.  In Joe's case the Cubs' pen pissed away a 5 run lead in 2 innings and got the L.  In Bell's case the Reds' pen pitched 4 innings of 1 run, 1 hit ball and got the win.  

I knew Gray couldn't complete the game or go more than 1 more inning last night but talking more about the whole year in general.  Gray's problem especially last night was he just not efficient with his pitches last night.  What I hate is when pitchers get ahead 0-2 and then start nibbling the corners and next thing you know it is 2-2 count.  I am not saying just throw the ball right down the middle but at least make it look like a strike coming out of your hand.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well there are two fan bases on here that is constantly complaining how their bullpen keeps blowing leads.  I feel it is harder on the bullpen to have to cover 3 and 4 innings consistently over 162 game season.

You have forgotten about the Nasty Boys?  Have the lead after 6 and trot out Charlton, Dibble, and Myers to cover the last 3 innings.  That was 30 years ago...

Just now, rico said:

You have forgotten about the Nasty Boys?  Have the lead after 6 and trot out Charlton, Dibble, and Myers to cover the last 3 innings.  That was 30 years ago...

They did not always all pitch on the same day and the bullpen did not always pitch the last 3 innings.  Remember the 90 playoff run and Rio pitched 8 innings a couple of games and the clinching game in the World Series he went 8 2/3 and I was upset when they took him out in the 9th.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well there are two fan bases on here that is constantly complaining how their bullpen keeps blowing leads.  I feel it is harder on the bullpen to have to cover 3 and 4 innings consistently over 162 game season.

Let me get this straight. You dont know have 7 to 9 guys can be expected to carry load of 3 to 4 innings for 162 games but you expect 5 guys to carry 7 or 8 innings for 162 games

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They did not always all pitch on the same day and the bullpen did not always pitch the last 3 innings.  Remember the 90 playoff run and Rio pitched 8 innings a couple of games and the clinching game in the World Series he went 8 2/3 and I was upset when they took him out in the 9th.

And how did Jose's HoF career pan out?

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It is working like others have said. The old guys just sucked it up and played made a great living and the next young stud was on there heals so they pitch through injury. Dont tell anyone just suck it up and throw. Now days both sides have tone of money on the line.  You have soreness or stiffness you skip a start. Back in the day if the arm was still attached you threw

Right?

I guarantee if Nolan Ryan was making $25/mil a year he's not throwing a 150 pitches an outing. 

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Right?

I guarantee if Nolan Ryan was making $25/mil a year he's not throwing a 150 pitches an outing. 

Yet, Nolan never really had major arm issues pitching hard and all of those innings.  I just don't agree that pitchers have to throw 97-100 on every pitch to get hitters out.  When you put that much effort on every pitch then yes you will get worn out earlier in a game and can't go deep.  it is better if you can get outs on 2-3 pitches in at bat instead of having to throw 7-8 pitches to get an batter out.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet, Nolan never really had major arm issues pitching hard and all of those innings.  I just don't agree that pitchers have to throw 97-100 on every pitch to get hitters out.  When you put that much effort on every pitch then yes you will get worn out earlier in a game and can't go deep.  it is better if you can get outs on 2-3 pitches in at bat instead of having to throw 7-8 pitches to get an batter out.

It does not take much less effort if Amy to throw a 97 MPH fastball as a 80 Mph curve or slider. In fact much more torgue and supplication on the elbow.

Chris Sale is quickest to 2000 K's and he has nasty stuff not just a 98 MPH fastball. 

12 of the 17 guys to record 3000 K's pitched in your good old days and before. So trying got strike every batter out is not a new thing

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You're missing the point. You have throw with that velocity and torque to put movement on your pitchers to get hitters out these days, especially in the long ball era. Hitters are going to eat up pitchers who only throw 88-90, especially third time through the order. I know you're going to use Maddux as an example and he's a one of a kind talent.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

You're missing the point. You have throw with that velocity and torque to put movement on your pitchers to get hitters out these days, especially in the long ball era. Hitters are going to eat up pitchers who only throw 88-90, especially third time through the order. I know you're going to use Maddux as an example and he's a one of a kind talent.

How about Glavine

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Why cant you both. The Hall is full of them and it will continue to be

Not saying you can't have both but he made it sound that Rio's career was not as good because it ended early.  Just like Koufax who was brilliant for 6 and 7 years and I would rather have that than a pitcher who was around long time but was never great.  it just seems like it is more about having your pitchers for longevity over actually being a great pitcher.  For me I wouldn't consider a pitcher great if he will only give you 5-6 innings a start.  I also don't know why an owner would give long term high dollar contract to starting pitchers if you are only going to give me 5 innings.  it is like the RB in football where they are becoming more and more devalued and they are not willing to give them long term contracts.

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Again, a HoF pitcher. There's guys like Hendricks and Kershaw who has lost velocity that can get it done, but on average you need pitchers with swing and miss type pitches to consistently get hitters out. 

Just don't agree with that but it is what it is

Maybe Scott is Crash Davis...

"Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. It's more democratic."

Except I can't see him making the "Well, I believe in the soul" speech to Annie...

Archived