2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet, Nolan never really had major arm issues pitching hard and all of those innings.  I just don't agree that pitchers have to throw 97-100 on every pitch to get hitters out.  When you put that much effort on every pitch then yes you will get worn out earlier in a game and can't go deep.  it is better if you can get outs on 2-3 pitches in at bat instead of having to throw 7-8 pitches to get an batter out.

Why is that better. Ideally yes. As a coach my motto has always been put the ball in play and good things will happen. Bloopers errors seeing eye singles etc.. as a pitcher let me control the outcome not someone else 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just don't agree with that but it is what it is

Baseball is different today than it was 30 and 40 years ago, especially the approach to hitting. You can't deny that. With most starters being able to touch 94 and 95 and they really good ones that can hit 97+, you just aren't going to hit the ball all over the field consistently. It's harder to manufacture runs especially when it's tougher to put the ball in play. That's why the home run ball has become so prevalent. The one way to combat dominate pitching is with power hitting. And how do you combat power hitting? With more swing and miss type pitches. 

23 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder what Scott is gonna think when teams go to a 6 man starting rotation?  LOL

Probably a day where they will try to use 3 pitchers pitching 3 innings each instead of having starting pitchers.  I guess I am wrong since I am not conforming to what the masses think is the right way to play.  Instead of just conforming because that is what others think I will stand behind my beliefs because I think they are right.  Just because people are told certain things are right doesn't mean everyone has to agree with that philosophy. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Probably a day where they will try to use 3 pitchers pitching 3 innings each instead of having starting pitchers.  I guess I am wrong since I am not conforming to what the masses think is the right way to play.  Instead of just conforming because that is what others think I will stand behind my beliefs because I think they are right.  Just because people are told certain things are right doesn't mean everyone has to agree with that philosophy. 

If you conformed to what the masses think is right...what would we do for entertainment around here?  LOL

16 minutes ago, rico said:

If you conformed to what the masses think is right...what would we do for entertainment around here?  LOL

My list of Certainties in life. 

Death

Taxes

OJ was guilty

Scott will be arguing on HSN lol

Life on here would be a lot less entertaining for sure.  Keep up the good fight

On 8/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, IUFLA said:

I think you guys are in great shape. Great pitching (2nd in AL ERA). Not overly impressed with the Tribe's offense, but good pitching can win you a ton of games...get the offense hot at the right time and who knows...

Plus, you have the best manager in the AL (my opinion...and in the NL I'd go with Bochy). 

That has become a bit of a storyline on suspect run support...I do like how they're set up rotation wise and don't want to say too much with this opportunity+challenge they're staring at against the Yanks …Lol

I expect a Playoff like atmosphere due to everything both teams are playing for, and hope it brings the best out of both this weekend. 

35 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So the Yankees started a 4 game series last night with the Indians. Starter, Chad Green have up 7 runs while only getting 1

out in the first inning!!! Ended up as beat down loss 19-5!

Now you see why I'm not too optimistic about their WS chances. Thanks Cashman for not addressing a pressing need.

The Tribe is playing good baseball right now. But their offense usually isn't that good.

The Yanks have scored more runs than any team, and have given up less than all but 5 AL teams. And that's without Luis Severino.

I'd say your guys have just as good of a shot as any team in the AL. That offense is no joke.

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

That has become a bit of a storyline on suspect run support...I do like how they're set up rotation wise and don't want to say too much with this opportunity+challenge they're staring at against the Yanks …Lol

I expect a Playoff like atmosphere due to everything both teams are playing for, and hope it brings the best out of both this weekend. 

And the Indians stand to get Carrasco and Kluber back...that's almost unfair...

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Back to Baseball as a fellow Reds fan what do you think we need next year to actually compete for the playoffs.  If you just look at each position right now they look pretty good but they still have a lot of games where they don't produce.  Do you just stay with all of you young OF and let them grow or do you bring in a more proven bat.  I hope they bring Inglesias back and have him at SS and Galvis at 2B.  that would make a very good infield and hopefully the changes Votto has made to his stance and not choking up will continue to help him next year.  To me the glaring need is for some bullpen help and need at least one more reliable LH reliever.  Also they will have 3 very good starters but the 4th and 5th slot could be upgraded.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe the Cubs can take a lesson from the Tribe.  It wasn't all that long ago the Indians were down and out.

It wasn't that long ago the Cubs took advantage of the Indians pitching staff injuries and had more fortune than anyone in MBL haha   So to also reply to IUFLA it would feel more than fair to me :D 

This was the comment I just referred to replying to IUFLA - I copy -pasted it ...out of chronological order now, of course

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe the Cubs can take a lesson from the Tribe.  It wasn't all that long ago the Indians were down and out.

Getting late in the season to get hot like that, and with the uninspired play I saw in the Phillies series, I'm skeptical.

But, you never know.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Back to Baseball as a fellow Reds fan what do you think we need next year to actually compete for the playoffs.  If you just look at each position right now they look pretty good but they still have a lot of games where they don't produce.  Do you just stay with all of you young OF and let them grow or do you bring in a more proven bat.  I hope they bring Inglesias back and have him at SS and Galvis at 2B.  that would make a very good infield and hopefully the changes Votto has made to his stance and not choking up will continue to help him next year.  To me the glaring need is for some bullpen help and need at least one more reliable LH reliever.  Also they will have 3 very good starters but the 4th and 5th slot could be upgraded.

The OF is set.  As are the corner IF.  The middle infield is a question mark and I agree in trying to keep Iglesias and Galvis.  I think they need a catcher, but I don't know who.  SP is an interesting one...I want to see more of Wood this season and go from there.  And I really have no idea what is down on the farm.  

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Depending on how confident the Reds are in Aquino, may need another corner outfield bat. Need another middle inning reliever as well. Reds will at least offer Wood a qualifying offer as they get a compensatory pick if he doesn't accept. A rotation of Castillo, Bauer, Gray, Wood, and Desclafani is pretty good. No Wood you would be adding Mahle who I still think has potential. 

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Depending on how confident the Reds are in Aquino, may need another corner outfield bat. Need another middle inning reliever as well. Reds will at least offer Wood a qualifying offer as they get a compensatory pick if he doesn't accept. A rotation of Castillo, Bauer, Gray, Wood, and Desclafani is pretty good. No Wood you would be adding Mahle who I still think has potential. 

I would like to see Wood back as well but to me Disco is to inconsistent for me but when he is on he is pretty good.  The last 3 games he has given up 8 runs in the first inning so he has to get that straighten out.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

The OF is set.  As are the corner IF.  The middle infield is a question mark and I agree in trying to keep Iglesias and Galvis.  I think they need a catcher, but I don't know who.  SP is an interesting one...I want to see more of Wood this season and go from there.  And I really have no idea what is down on the farm.  

don't think much is down on the farm especially in the higher ranks of the system.  Also I don't know how I forgot the catching situation but it definitely needs upgraded.  To me Barnhart is a perfect backup catcher because of his defense but his bat is not good enough to be a starter.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would like to see Wood back as well but to me Disco is to inconsistent for me but when he is on he is pretty good.  The last 3 games he has given up 8 runs in the first inning so he has to get that straighten out.

Disco as a 5th starter is more than enough, although I may prefer Mahle as he is more suited to eat innings. Could possibly see Mahle out of the bullpen as well. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

don't think much is down on the farm especially in the higher ranks of the system.  Also I don't know how I forgot the catching situation but it definitely needs upgraded.  To me Barnhart is a perfect backup catcher because of his defense but his bat is not good enough to be a starter.

Platoon of Barnhart and Casali has been enough. Barnhart is too good of a defensive catcher to part ways from, you need him behind the plate. Tyler Stephenson is 2 years away and has some pop. I think the Reds can make do with Barnhart/Casali for another year until Stehpenson is ready.

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Platoon of Barnhart and Casali has been enough. Barnhart is too good of a defensive catcher to part ways from, you need him behind the plate. Tyler Stephenson is 2 years away and has some pop. I think the Reds can make do with Barnhart/Casali for another year until Stehpenson is ready.

How is Tromp down at AAA?  He is catcher, right?

Archived