2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Late to the conversation, as is often the case. Putting aside the fact that one certain member's head may explode when he reads this, I'm copying an article dated in 2018 that takes an analytical approach in explaining/dissecting the ever growing use of relief pitchers. I thought this was also good because it touches on the topic of putting the ball in play vs not.

At any rate....it's Friday afternoon, and nothing wrong with lighting the fuse for another 10 pages of back and forth. 😀

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2018/Call-to-the-Bullpen

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Late to the conversation, as is often the case. Putting aside the fact that one certain member's head may explode when he reads this, I'm copying an article dated in 2018 that takes an analytical approach in explaining/dissecting the ever growing use of relief pitchers. I thought this was also good because it touches on the topic of putting the ball in play vs not.

At any rate....it's Friday afternoon, and nothing wrong with lighting the fuse for another 10 pages of back and forth. 😀

I know this is what sports has become but to me it is sad that when talking about sports we have to use graphs to explain it.

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know this is what sports has become but to me it is sad that when talking about sports we have to use graphs to explain it.

I understand, Scott. But you have to realize that managers and front office types have been using rudimentary analytics since the early days of baseball. All sports really.

It's just more advanced now, because it should, statistically, give your team an advantage, even if that advantage is ever so slight.

Pennants have been won or lost by 1 game. If I'm a manager, I'm going to use them to my advantage. My job might depend on it.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That Sir, is one great find...but where is the "eye test?"  LOL  Thanks for posting it.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Stats have been around before were even thought of...statistics have, more often than not, proven what a successful team is.  It has just been taken to another level.  Embrace today's game or watch highlights of the 1972 World Series...that is up to you.  But your arguments are falling on a lot of deaf ears.  And I am older than you.

Just now, rico said:

Stats have been around before were even thought of...statistics have, more often than not, proven what a successful team is.  It has just been taken to another level.  Embrace today's game or watch highlights of the 1972 World Series...that is up to you.  But your arguments are falling on a lot of deaf ears.  And I am older than you.

I know stats has been around and the basic stats are fine and use them but it is the advanced metrics I am talking about.  For me and it is just my opinion sports are about competition and entertainment and to me people are trying to make sports to sterile.  I am thinking in the future you will have to have an Economics degree to watch sports.  I had to deal with way to many graphs in my Managerial Economics class and it is bringing back bad memories. 

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Mention that 72 series to my Reds friends and I'd get a rousing "%@&g Gene Tenace." 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

St. Louis just swept them so the Cubs need to do it as well

Oh, I'd take one of those

Hendricks going tonight. He lasted all of 2 2/3 last game (against those damn pesky Reds) so he should be fresh.

Just hope he has his command...

Wonder if there's going to be a continuation of the bad blood between the two team tonight?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I'd take one of those

Hendricks going tonight. He lasted all of 2 2/3 last game (against those damn pesky Reds) so he should be fresh.

Just hope he has his command...

Wonder if there's going to be a continuation of the bad blood between the two team tonight?

You guys have bad blood with the Pirates as well?  You cubs fans should be rooting for those Pesky Reds this weekend since they are playing St. Louis.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You guys have bad blood with the Pirates as well?  You cubs fans should be rooting for those Pesky Reds this weekend since they are playing St. Louis.

Cubs called out Hurdle's BS a few years ago....and that was after Maddon let a few slide by because he and Hurdle have him lifelong friend. Given the mood of the Cubs...wouldn't shock me a bit to see brawl tonight or Saturday. Sunday they play at Williamsport so no fighting in front of the kids. Right??

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs called out Hurdle's BS a few years ago....and that was after Maddon let a few slide by because he and Hurdle have him lifelong friend. Given the mood of the Cubs...wouldn't shock me a bit to see brawl tonight or Saturday. Sunday they play at Williamsport so no fighting in front of the kids. Right??

I think most teams don't like the Pirates because they are a dirty team.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Teach them younguns chin music!

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Almora sent down to Iowa. Russell called up.

Had to do it after Bote error in 9th last night. Need infielder help. Almora was expendable for time being. Maddon put Heyward in for defense (with injury) in 9th but couldn't do it with Bote. Was it the difference? Probably not. Only park in the country where Harper's shot still hasn't landed is named Yellowstone. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

WTF happened here?  105 posts since this morning? 

s there something important I missed that I need to catch up on? 

Did babe Ruth raise from the grave and sign with The Red Sox?

Scott happened here...sorry no Ruth, Mantle, or Gehrig...just Scott, although there was a Wall Pipp reference if that makes you feel any better!!!!!

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

WTF happened here?  105 posts since this morning? 

s there something important I missed that I need to catch up on? 

Did babe Ruth raise from the grave and sign with The Red Sox?

I was thinking the same thing. I posted my normal diatribe about Cubs....went and golfed, stained a deck and I came back to 4 pages. Thought Maddon had been let go. Just normal off season I guess. 

Archived