2019 MLB Discussion

rico

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Spam?  Hell, he had the guy out there and jerked him out too soon...that be Mills.  Somewhere I think @IU Scott is chuckling.

Mills was more than gassed. He gave us everything he had. He hasn't thrown 82 pitches all year long. Eventually you have to ask your bullpen to do a job. Their pen did ours didn't. Both teams stranded runners but end of the day...one hit by Molina was the difference.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Mills was more than gassed. He gave us everything he had. He hasn't thrown 82 pitches all year long. Eventually you have to ask your bullpen to do a job. Their pen did ours didn't. Both teams stranded runners but end of the day...one hit by Molina was the difference.

Well, so be it...should have stuck with Mills.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Did he start in the minors and if he did he should have been able to stay in the game.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did he start in the minors and if he did he should have been able to stay in the game.

I know you guys don't watch the Cubs but Mills has pitched 2, 3, and 1 innings in his last 3 outings since the 9th of September. We got everything he had today. Cubs offense went dormant again. That's the reason for the L today. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know you guys don't watch the Cubs but Mills has pitched 2, 3, and 1 innings in his last 3 outings since the 9th of September. We got everything he had today. Cubs offense went dormant again. That's the reason for the L today. 

I will give ya the offense thing.  Give up 2 runs you win.  Looking bad for the Cubbies.

In the Reds game tonight the Met's manager is just trying to think to much.  Mets scored 2 runs in the top of the 8th to go up 5-0 so they decided to take Degrom who had a 3 hit shutout and only 83 pitches.  Brought n a right hander who got the first 2 batters in 5 pitches but gave up a bloop single.  He brought in a lefty to face Votto only to walk him.  He then came back out to bring in a righty to  face Suarez and all of this while leading by 5 runs.  So in th e8th inning he uses 3 pitchers to face 5 batters.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In the Reds game tonight the Met's manager is just trying to think to much.  Mets scored 2 runs in the top of the 8th to go up 5-0 so they decided to take Degrom who had a 3 hit shutout and only 83 pitches.  Brought n a right hander who got the first 2 batters in 5 pitches but gave up a bloop single.  He brought in a lefty to face Votto only to walk him.  He then came back out to bring in a righty to  face Suarez and all of this while leading by 5 runs.  So in th e8th inning he uses 3 pitchers to face 5 batters.

Just a guess but maybe their manager was trying to preserve his arm for 2 more starts this week and only 3 games back in wild card with only 9 games to go. 

I just got back from the Cubs v. Cards in Chicago.  I don't think Mills was expected to go more than 4 or 5 innings.  He's been mostly in relief this month.  When he started in his earlier call up, he was good for about 4 innings before he had problems.  He was a last minute sub for Hammels. 

The walks hurt the Cubs in the 6th as they walked the bases loaded and then Molina delivered a 2-run single. 

Cubs only struck out 3x today.  But just couldn't generate runs.  Double plays hurt a lot.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a guess but maybe their manager was trying to preserve his arm for 2 more starts this week and only 3 games back in wild card with only 9 games to go. 

I would say that is a pretty safe guess.

I was looking at the Mets schedule and it is pretty favorable.  2 more @ Cincy, then 4 @ home vs. Miami, then close out at home with 3 against the Braves.  Atlanta might not be playing for anything those last 3.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I would say that is a pretty safe guess.

I was looking at the Mets schedule and it is pretty favorable.  2 more @ Cincy, then 4 @ home vs. Miami, then close out at home with 3 against the Braves.  Atlanta might not be playing for anything those last 3.

It's the way it looked to me. Start Tuesday and Saturday or Sunday if needed. No reason at all to throwing an additional 20 pitches yesterday up big. 

While in the middle of playoff race saw a video for the first time last night. Freddy Galvis of the Reds did a pretty cool thing this past week. Found a 5 year old was having his birthday and kids favorite player was Freddy.  Invited him on field for catch, grounders, plenty of photos,etc....

I bring this up for 2 things. One is this. Baseball HAS to do more stuff like this because as a sport we are falling so far behind. Secondly....if we extend netting around entire field do moments like this go away because kid can't onto the field? 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Today in Reds history in 1919 the Reds lost to the Dodgers 3-1 but the thing as that the game took 55 minutes to play.  In today's baseball you get through 2 or 3 innings in that time frame.  I think today's Cubs game took over 4.5 hours to play a 9 inning game.

You're a little high on that time estimate. Game started at about 4:15 and ended roughly 20-30 mins ago (7:37 as of typing this).

Source: Am typing this from GABP.

Archived