2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Today in Reds history in 1919 the Reds lost to the Dodgers 3-1 but the thing as that the game took 55 minutes to play.  In today's baseball you get through 2 or 3 innings in that time frame.  I think today's Cubs game took over 4.5 hours to play a 9 inning game.

On the positive side of things, the people that had to sit through the Cubs game today are still alive.  :coffee:

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Today in Reds history in 1919 the Reds lost to the Dodgers 3-1 but the thing as that the game took 55 minutes to play.  In today's baseball you get through 2 or 3 innings in that time frame.  I think today's Cubs game took over 4.5 hours to play a 9 inning game.

Averaged a batter every 50 seconds. 

Last time Cubs lost 4 straight 1 run games was April 23-26 1972. Otherwise I have nothing else. This team has failed on so many levels....players, bench and front office. Literally disgusting to see a team I believe has the talent to win it look this poor. 

We'll see on the rumors but if I was Maddon I would take the San Diego gig in a heartbeat. Machado, Tatis, Paddack and best farm system in baseball. Basically since the Padres did this correctly they will be entering the Cubs 2015 season next year. Will be a team on the rise very quickly.

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Last time Cubs lost 4 straight 1 run games was April 23-26 1972. Otherwise I have nothing else. This team has failed on so many levels....players, bench and front office. Literally disgusting to see a team I believe has the talent to win it look this poor. 

We'll see on the rumors but if I was Maddon I would take the San Diego gig in a heartbeat. Machado, Tatis, Paddack and best farm system in baseball. Basically since the Padres did this correctly they will be entering the Cubs 2015 season next year. Will be a team on the rise very quickly.

I don't know how the Maddon situation is gonna play out but I was talking to my buddy at halftime of the ND/UGA game.  He feels the Cubs should deal Bryant.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know how the Maddon situation is gonna play out but I was talking to my buddy at halftime of the ND/UGA game.  He feels the Cubs should deal Bryant.

It's been discussed among several Cubs fans I'm sure. On it's face it sounds stupid to trade the best 3rd baseman the Cubs have ever had. He's going to be a perennial All Star and honestly when healthy he's our best base runner. With that said Theo isn't afraid to pull the trigger on anything and if you think there's a chance the Cubs won't be able to resign him to long term deal you have to have the conversations. 

I for one just want to trade for Merrifield, sign Costellanos and back the brinks truck up for Cole. Do those 3 things and try for another run next year with same group. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's been discussed among several Cubs fans I'm sure. On it's face it sounds stupid to trade the best 3rd baseman the Cubs have ever had. He's going to be a perennial All Star and honestly when healthy he's our best base runner. With that said Theo isn't afraid to pull the trigger on anything and if you think there's a chance the Cubs won't be able to resign him to long term deal you have to have the conversations. 

I for one just want to trade for Merrifield, sign Costellanos and back the brinks truck up for Cole. Do those 3 things and try for another run next year with same group. 

I think the Cubs need to work on their starting rotation, Cole would be a big piece but they need more.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not that confident about Cole.  He's 35 and he's had lots of injury problems the last 2 years.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree with most of what you said. I don't think it's the right time to trade Bryant...yet. He's arbitration eligible this year, but not a FA until 2022. Too soon to do any trading yet.

And I'm not sold on giving up the world for Whit Merrifield. If we can get him for a reasonable price, sure. But I'm not going to sell the farm for him. If they'd take Russell and Happ? Sure thing. I think those are 2 pieces that need to be moved. 

Let's see what it'll take to sign Castellanos. The Ricketts have been tight with the purse strings lately, so who knows how much they'll spend. I'm sure they won't go over the luxury tax. And if we get Hamels off the books and want Garrit Cole, we're going to need some extra cash.

The final piece to me is letting go of Joe Maddon. I think he's a good manager for a team with a lot of young players, like the Cubs were in 2015, but not good at motivating older veterans. He's not a bullpen magician, and I can't tell you how tired I am of the endless lineup juggling. Time for Joe to go. I understand the gentle hand he seems to constantly use, but once in a while there needs to be some plain talk and accountability. 

That's my rant, and I'm sticking to it...unless they fire Maddon and end up in 5th next year...

I think a lot hinges on if the Cubs keep Castellanos.  Assuming they do.  Their outfield is set.  Castellanos RF, Heyward CF, Scwarber LF.  Bryant 3B, Baez SS, Rizzo 1B...I give Hoerner the 2B job.  Of course Contreras at C.  Nice line-up but still missing the typical lead-off man, no biggie.  IMO, Lester and Hammels are done but Hendricks, Yu, and Q are very servicable starters.  I would say get a TOR starter via trade or FA and slide Chatwood into the #5 guy.  The bullpen needs work but that is easy to fix.

I liquidate the utility guys on the bench that have shown they can produce at the big league level.  I shop Russell, Bote, Happ, Garcia, Almora, and Carantini around.  They could get Whit with a package of those guys.

They also need to work with Schwarber at playing some 1B.

Just some of my thoughts as an independent observer.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think a lot hinges on if the Cubs keep Castellanos.  Assuming they do.  Their outfield is set.  Castellanos RF, Heyward CF, Scwarber LF.  Bryant 3B, Baez SS, Rizzo 1B...I give Hoerner the 2B job.  Of course Contreras at C.  Nice line-up but still missing the typical lead-off man, no biggie.  IMO, Lester and Hammels are done but Hendricks, Yu, and Q are very servicable starters.  I would say get a TOR starter via trade or FA and slide Chatwood into the #5 guy.  The bullpen needs work but that is easy to fix.

I liquidate the utility guys on the bench that have shown they can produce at the big league level.  I shop Russell, Bote, Happ, Garcia, Almora, and Carantini around.  They could get Whit with a package of those guys.

They also need to work with Schwarber at playing some 1B.

Just some of my thoughts as an independent observer.

All good observations.  Having Schwarber learn some 1B a good idea.  Caratini a good piece though.  He's a switch hitter who can play 1B and catcher with no problems.  He is also a good hitter for a catcher and is developing some HR power.

6 minutes ago, slojoe said:

All good observations.  Having Schwarber learn some 1B a good idea.  Caratini a good piece though.  He's a switch hitter who can play 1B and catcher with no problems.  He is also a good hitter for a catcher and is developing some HR power.

As a Reds fan I would love to acquire Caratini...

I don't see Theo keeping Maddon in Chicago. I think he thought about getting rid of him for this season. I believe there will be a new manager and at least one big trade this offseason and my belief is it will be Bryant heading out of town...just my gut feeling. If I were a betting man I would say Giardi will be managing the Cubbies next season. They need to do something....this thing hasn't worked the past two seasons. Time to shake things up and get everyone out of their comfort zone...and they better sign Castellanos!

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I don't see Theo keeping Maddon in Chicago. I think he thought about getting rid of him for this season. I believe there will be a new manager and at least one big trade this offseason and my belief is it will be Bryant heading out of town...just my gut feeling. If I were a betting man I would say Giardi will be managing the Cubbies next season. They need to do something....this thing hasn't worked the past two seasons. Time to shake things up and get everyone out of their comfort zone...and they better sign Castellanos!

I think this is as much on Theo as anyone, but I don't expect his ego to be able to admit that.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think this is as much on Theo as anyone, but I don't expect his ego to be able to admit that.

You'll have to explain that statement to me.

When the Cubs needed a bat, Epstein went and got Castellanos. When they needed a closer, he got what was thought to be the best available closer. The GM is responsible for supplying the talent, and the manager is tasked with putting together the lineup, managing the pitching staff, and motivating the team. I know where I see the failure in the execution of those tasks...

33 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think Girardi is a downgrade from Maddon. 

Archived