2019 MLB Discussion

rico

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sorry. I thought that the conversation was about the greatest catcher of all time, not who belongs in the HOF. 

As far as Yogi playing outfield. Someone mentioned Mayer. He played a lot of first base as well as DH later in his career 

LOL...no Munson is up for the Hall as well as Ted Simmons.  I had a link up above.  

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sorry. I thought that the conversation was about the greatest catcher of all time, not who belongs in the HOF. 

As far as Yogi playing outfield. Someone mentioned Mayer. He played a lot of first base as well as DH later in his career 

There's a lot of catchers throughout history that have played multiple positions. Criteria I've always used is what position did they appear at for the majority of their careers. Example: Craig Biggio is, IMO, a second baseman, despite having an all-star appearance at catcher. Jim Leyritz is a catcher, despite having played all over the diamond.

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

There's a lot of catchers throughout history that have played multiple positions. Criteria I've always used is what position did they appear at for the majority of their careers. Example: Craig Biggio is, IMO, a second baseman, despite having an all-star appearance at catcher. Jim Leyritz is a catcher, despite having played all over the diamond.

Brian Downing was one of my favs growing up.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

No Astros talk?

Stealing signs has been in baseball since they started playing. Not a proponent of cheating, but I think every team does it to some extent.

My favorite story on it is about former Yankee great and sign stealing legend Waite Hoyt coaching in an All Star game. They started going over signs and he finally says, "Ah, I'll  just give you whatever ones your team uses."

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Stealing signs has been in baseball since they started playing. Not a proponent of cheating, but I think every team does it to some extent.

My favorite story on it is about former Yankee great and sign stealing legend Waite Hoyt coaching in an All Star game. They started going over signs and he finally says, "Ah, I'll  just give you whatever ones your team uses."

In the '75 series walkie talkies were being used.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

In the '75 series walkie talkies were being used.

Maybe Bernie Carbo got a tip? Without Bernie, there is no Pudge waving it fair.

I got to talk to Bernie back when he was a Reds farmhand playing for the Indianapolis Indians. Nice guy. Glad he eventually turned his life around.

“I’ve heard what you all have heard which are allegations,” Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday at the annual General Manager Meetings. “This is not the first one that I’ve heard. And it’s not the first one you all have heard. But, like I said, the best course of action is not to speculate right now. We’re going to look into it, in cooperation with MLB, and we’ll find out. We’re going to find out whatever there is to find out.”

Read, "We need time to find a scapegoat."

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

“I’ve heard what you all have heard which are allegations,” Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday at the annual General Manager Meetings. “This is not the first one that I’ve heard. And it’s not the first one you all have heard. But, like I said, the best course of action is not to speculate right now. We’re going to look into it, in cooperation with MLB, and we’ll find out. We’re going to find out whatever there is to find out.”

Read, "We need time to find a scapegoat."

Yep. My guess is some equipment manager will now be thrust into the spotlight ala deflategate. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure some will talk about integrity of the game,etc....but cheating or trying to cheat has been going on in baseball since the beginning. I'm sure it's a big deal but not to me.

When the story first broke all I could do was laugh.  I thought "cheating"(stealing signs) was just part of the game.  At least it was when I played.

12 hours ago, rico said:

Who was better out there that wanted it?  Serious question.

Not sure about better, because although you can say Gabe is a "proven commodity" proven good or bad is up for debate. The Phils improved their personnel, and got a whole one game better this year.

Espada was the hot name for every other job, and I know some on the Giants' current staff were considered. And we know the Giants are on the rebuild. Just not sold on Kapler

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure about better, because although you can say Gabe is a "proven commodity" proven good or bad is up for debate. The Phils improved their personnel, and got a whole one game better this year.

Espada was the hot name for every other job, and I know some on the Giants' current staff were considered. And we know the Giants are on the rebuild. Just not sold on Kapler

Thanks for the honest reply.

I wonder how many guys were truly interested in the job?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Thanks for the honest reply.

I wonder how many guys were truly interested in the job?

That I don't know, but I always figured if I was already rebuilding, now would be the time to take a chance...Someone like Espada, if he wanted the job, would have probably been my choice.

Easy for me to say though, when I know 1/1000th of what the Giants GM knows, and my job's not riding on the outcome.

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That I don't know, but I always figured if I was already rebuilding, now would be the time to take a chance...Someone like Espada, if he wanted the job, would have probably been my choice.

Easy for me to say though, when I know 1/1000th of what the Giants GM knows, and my job's not riding on the outcome.

When the job became open and with what the Giants are doing I thought maybe Matt Williams would get the job.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

When the job became open and with what the Giants are doing I thought maybe Matt Williams would get the job.

I never even thought of Williams. With his history with the organization, I'm surprised he didn't get at least a look. Never saw him mentioned among the candidates.

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Little surprised that Verlander beat out Superman to win Cy Young Award 

I was too. Very close. Verlander got 17 first place votes and 13 seconds. Cole flipped that around. Only 2 that got first or second place votes.

Archived