2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, rico said:

Guy is dealing it for sure.  And Winker hit #6 last night.

He is starting to prove me wrong which I hope he really does.  It ha been awhile where the Reds are being carried by pitching and if they can ever get the hitting back to normal then the reds should be in good shape.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is starting to prove me wrong which I hope he really does.  It ha been awhile where the Reds are being carried by pitching and if they can ever get the hitting back to normal then the reds should be in good shape.

As I alluded to earlier in this thread Jesse's sample size has been very small at the big league level.  He was having a good year last season before going down with injury.  The Reds have to play him and see what he has got.

The pitching is something else after the off season "over-haul".  Castillo and Mahle look to be the future.  And yes, Cincy has historically sucked at developing young pitching.

They have kept my interest thus far...hopefully they continue to do so.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

As I alluded to earlier in this thread Jesse's sample size has been very small at the big league level.  He was having a good year last season before going down with injury.  The Reds have to play him and see what he has got.

The pitching is something else after the off season "over-haul".  Castillo and Mahle look to be the future.  And yes, Cincy has historically sucked at developing young pitching.

They have kept my interest thus far...hopefully they continue to do so.

Gray has been very good as well if they could just give him some run support.  They have rated the Reds farm system as one of the best but if you look at the stats of the farm sytem they don't look very impressive.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Gray has been very good as well if they could just give him some run support.  They have rated the Reds farm system as one of the best but if you look at the stats of the farm sytem they don't look very impressive.

Gray has looked fine for sure.  And yes, the farm system is highly regarded but the stats don't say that...but it is early.

I was joking with some friends last night. Told them I guess Maddon can manage again? Where all those comments about him not being able to coach still. Funny how a coach looks good when players hit, pitch and don't make errors. 

After 2-7 start Cubs up 12-10. Very nice recovery. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was joking with some friends last night. Told them I guess Maddon can manage again? Where all those comments about him not being able to coach still. Funny how a coach looks good when players hit, pitch and don't make errors. 

After 2-7 start Cubs up 12-10. Very nice recovery. 

I still think he is on the hot seat.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I still think he is on the hot seat.

He always will be to some. Nature of the city and sport. To me he's one of the best in the business. Forget his results as Cubs manager. With what he had money wise at Tampa to have those results within same division of Red Sox/Yankees he should have made first ballot just for what he did there.

Long season though. We need to get our bullpen squared away and I'm afraid the odd man out is going to be Schwarber. I love the guy forever but he's just not producing consistently which is partly because he isn't playing every day. Chicken or egg thing. Not sure what the answer is.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He always will be to some. Nature of the city and sport. To me he's one of the best in the business. Forget his results as Cubs manager. With what he had money wise at Tampa to have those results within same division of Red Sox/Yankees he should have made first ballot just for what he did there.

Long season though. We need to get our bullpen squared away and I'm afraid the odd man out is going to be Schwarber. I love the guy forever but he's just not producing consistently which is partly because he isn't playing every day. Chicken or egg thing. Not sure what the answer is.

As I said a while back, the Reds fired Sparky Anderson 2 years removed from back to back WS titles.

Kyle is in a tough spot for sure.  I would be sad if the Cubs moved him.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cub fan here, too. I agree, love Kyle but he's never going to win a Gold Glove at any position, and this is 2 years in a row he's struggled at the plate.

I think the AL (DH) is a better fit for him. I was kinda hoping this past winter the Cubs would offer him to Cleveland as part of a package for Cory Kluber.

And I also think Maddon is on the hot seat as long as the Cubs don't at least make the WS and Joe Girardi is unemployed 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cub fan here, too. I agree, love Kyle but he's never going to win a Gold Glove at any position, and this is 2 years in a row he's struggled at the plate.

I think the AL (DH) is a better fit for him. I was kinda hoping this past winter the Cubs would offer him to Cleveland as part of a package for Cory Kluber.

And I also think Maddon is on the hot seat as long as the Cubs don't at least make the WS and Joe Girardi is unemployed 

I think KS is very underrated as a LF. He's shown (when he plays) his ability to make all the plays and he had the most assists as a left fielder in all of baseball. Problem to me is just the plate. Hard part for me is energized an entire team in 15, batted what .430 in World Series in 2016....but ever since he just can't produce consistently and I'm not sure why. Maybe not enough playing time.

We need a closer and right now Bote is playing so well he needs to be in lineup each day. That leaves either Schwarber, Addison when he returns or perhaps Chatwood (big perhaps) as our only players we could trade....but each of those 3 have limited trade value. So what to do?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Find it amazing that a team that goes 109 years without winning is already wanting the manger who brought you a world series to be fired.

Trust me. It's a daily grind that wears me down. Problem is most lifelong Cubs fans are probably lifelong Bears fans. We don't want a repeat of 85 Bears where we were the best team in the league for a window for 3-4 years and win only 1 title. Some Cubs fans are already thinking the same. Window is open...need to get at least another title. Fair or unfair. 

Archived