2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just disagree with that mindset.  I want my starter to go at the minimum of 7 but would want them to finish the game if they are still pitching well.  Why take out a pitcher that you know is pitching great for a guy who you have no clue how they will pitch on that day.  I hate seeing rosters with 8 or 9 relivers and only having a bench of 4 players which limits what a coach can do.  With so many pitching changes that you need that many relivers hurts your other part of your team.

Is that you, Billy Martin? 😁

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Odd stat in Cubs blowout. Bryant became 12th player in MLB history to home runs in 3 consecutive innings. The thing I was happiest about though was Schwarber getting on base 4x. Dude needs to string a week to two weeks of solid, solid numbers.

He walked 3 times and scored 3 runs...

Ah well, I guess that's why Maddon got the job over me...😎

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Odd stat in Cubs blowout. Bryant became 12th player in MLB history to home runs in 3 consecutive innings. The thing I was happiest about though was Schwarber getting on base 4x. Dude needs to string a week to two weeks of solid, solid numbers.

Good for Kyle...on a side note with all the talent the Cubs have, Willson Contreras is one that gets over looked.  Dude is a player.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Good for Kyle...on a side note with all the talent the Cubs have, Willson Contreras is one that gets over looked.  Dude is a player.

Several have suggested Chili Davis approach last year as hitting coach had an impact on him and a few others. Players decided to go back to what was working before. Contreras is have a great year so far. Just want consistency. 

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He walked 3 times and scored 3 runs...

Ah well, I guess that's why Maddon got the job over me...😎

I just want him on base. Don't care where he bats. I don't like seeing one of my favorite Cubs ever get daily criticism....which has been deserved. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Several have suggested Chili Davis approach last year as hitting coach had an impact on him and a few others. Players decided to go back to what was working before. Contreras is have a great year so far. Just want consistency. 

??????

1 minute ago, rico said:

LOL, I didn't fully understand your last post regarding Chili.

Oh sorry. Chili wanted to change several hitters approaches. Several including KB, Rizzo and others toward the end of last year didn't hide their frustration with Chili Davis which is why he was let go right away. Contreras looked completely confused last year at the plate. This year he looks much better as he returned to his 2016/17 approach. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh sorry. Chili wanted to change several hitters approaches. Several including KB, Rizzo and others toward the end of last year didn't hide their frustration with Chili Davis which is why he was let go right away. Contreras looked completely confused last year at the plate. This year he looks much better as he returned to his 2016/17 approach. 

Thank you...I wondered what happened to Contreras last year.  Makes sense now.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I hadn't heard that, but when a hitting coach lasts less than a year, it's not good.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Is that you, Billy Martin? 😁

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Or Lou Piniella? Haha

LOL, Love the Yankee references!!

Speaking of the Yanks, they now have 1st place over the Rays. Yanks won a wild game last night as they won a rain delayed game scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win 4-3!

Go Yanks

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Speaking of the Yanks, they now have 1st place over the Rays. Yanks won a wild game last night as they won a rain delayed game scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win 4-3!

Go Yanks

Watch out for the Bosox...they are playing well right now too.

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Go Yanks

Well, to be honest, I was talking more about the Oakland As version of Billy that ran a young, promising pitching staff (Norris, Keough, Langford, McCatty, and Kingman) into the ground.

You know, in between his 6 or so Yankees gigs. 😉

1 hour ago, rico said:

Understood Bro, there are a lot of things about the game today that bother me as well.

To me there wasn't anything more exciting  than watching a playoff game that was 1-0 and the managers letting the pitchers actually work through some trouble.  Like I have said before my favorite game I think I watched was game 7 of the world series against Atlanta and Minnesota that finished 1-0 in 10 innings.  Jack Morris through a complete game 10 inning shutout and threw over 140 pitches and had to work out of many jams during the game.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me there wasn't anything more exciting  than watching a playoff game that was 1-0 and the managers letting the pitchers actually work through some trouble.  Like I have said before my favorite game I think I watched was game 7 of the world series against Atlanta and Minnesota that finished 1-0 in 10 innings.  Jack Morris through a complete game 10 inning shutout and threw over 140 pitches and had to work out of many jams during the game.

I'm guessing you don't like Cricket?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, here's one of Billy's finer moments compliments of his 1972 Topps baseball card (which I had at one time). Notice the finger on the bat...

Screenshot_20190518-094901_Chrome.jpg

SMH at a grown man that would do something like that on a product that will be primarily purchased by kids and/or fans that effectively pay his salary.

Archived