2019 MLB Discussion

rico

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

One does not have to look much further than that to see what is wrong with our society.  He makes more per at bat than a teacher does for a year.

The really scary part is when he's done collecting his last check in Philly.....Bobby Bonilla will still have 4 more years of payments from Mets. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The really scary part is when he's done collecting his last check in Philly.....Bobby Bonilla will still have 4 more years of payments from Mets. 

The man responsible for this.....Bernie Madoff. Mets owner Fred WIlpon was one of the bigger fish hoodwinked by Madoff.  The reason he deferred the payments was his belief that placing the money with Madoff would return at least 8% a year, and thus the extended payoff to Bonilla would be profitable. 

Umm...yeah....oops. 

Per CBS Sports, My Twins had the 2nd highest offseason grade of any baseball franchise, earning an A. Only the Phillies, at A+ were graded higher. The Cards also got an A

Doesn't mean anything until progress shows on the field, but still nice that what is considered a "small market" franchise was willing to spend $$ in an attempt to upgrade their roster. 

Hope springs eternal this time of year. Here's to hoping the Twins can give the Indians a run for their money.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per CBS Sports, My Twins had the 2nd highest offseason grade of any baseball franchise, earning an A. Only the Phillies, at A+ were graded higher. The Cards also got an A

Doesn't mean anything until progress shows on the field, but still nice that what is considered a "small market" franchise was willing to spend $$ in an attempt to upgrade their roster. 

Hope springs eternal this time of year. Here's to hoping the Twins can give the Indians a run for their money.

How did you become a Twins fan?

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How did you become a Twins fan?

First game I ever attended was up at the old Metropolitan Stadium in the Twin Cities. I was maybe 6 or 7. Saw Killebrew, Olivia, Versailles beat Luis Tiant and the Res Sox. 

Hooked ever since. Still have a Homer Hankie from the heyday of late 80’s- early 90’s.

The Jack Morris pitching performance in the 7th game vs the Braves in 91 goes down in my book as one of the best ever—along with Bob Gibson in 68

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Jack Morris pitching performance in the 7th game vs the Braves in 91 goes down in my book as one of the best ever—along with Bob Gibson in 68

I doubt you'll get much disagreement there.  Something that you may never see again. 

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First game I ever attended was up at the old Metropolitan Stadium in the Twin Cities. I was maybe 6 or 7. Saw Killebrew, Olivia, Versailles beat Luis Tiant and the Res Sox. 

You jarred my memory there.  Growing up I would go with my grandparents to Minnesota on fishing trips.  They always made it a point to catch a Twins game.  I don't know the year it would have been but I remember seeing that great outfield combination of Larry Hisle, Lyman Bostock, and Dan Ford...but my eyes were really glued to Rod Carew.  To this day, I got a place in my heart for the "Twinkies".

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Jack Morris pitching performance in the 7th game vs the Braves in 91 goes down in my book as one of the best ever—along with Bob Gibson in 68

I wish I could have enjoyed that Jack Morris performance.  Looking back it was amazing, but being 15 and rooting for the Braves.....

On 3/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, KoB2011 said:

Mike Trout got paaaaaaaaaaid. 

And the Halos have mortgaged their future, I don't think this will end well for them. 

Barring major injury, Mike Trout will retire as the greatest that ever played the game.

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Barring major injury, Mike Trout will retire as the greatest that ever played the game.

I will take Girffey every and any day of the week. I know it is all subjective but IMO the best I have ever seen play. On a side note I traveled to Chicago 2 times to see Griffey play when he was with the Mariners and both times he was injured. I saw him play probably 20 times while a Red but never saw him hit a home run. When Ayden was just a few months old we went to a Reds game and of course Ayd had a dirty diaper and just as my wife and I walked into the bathroom to change hit the crowd erupts and as I look at the big screen I see JR rounding first after hitting a bomb. To make matters even worse by the time we got back to our seats my best friend that went with us informed me that Griffey made an amazing catch while we were gone. 

Jr and Peyton Manning go down in history as my all time 2 favorite athletes. 

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will take Girffey every and any day of the week. I know it is all subjective but IMO the best I have ever seen play. On a side note I traveled to Chicago 2 times to see Griffey play when he was with the Mariners and both times he was injured. I saw him play probably 20 times while a Red but never saw him hit a home run. When Ayden was just a few months old we went to a Reds game and of course Ayd had a dirty diaper and just as my wife and I walked into the bathroom to change hit the crowd erupts and as I look at the big screen I see JR rounding first after hitting a bomb. To make matters even worse by the time we got back to our seats my best friend that went with us informed me that Griffey made an amazing catch while we were gone. 

Jr and Peyton Manning go down in history as my all time 2 favorite athletes. 

Obvious bias there.  LOL.

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Possible.  Not a guarantee though.  Griffey in the mid 90s is hard to compete with.  Obvious talent, and he made it look so easy, so fluid.  This will be controversial, but pre-roid Barry Bonds is up there too.   It's easy to forget that Griffey and Bonds were once fairly comparable players. 

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Possible.  Not a guarantee though.  Griffey in the mid 90s is hard to compete with.  Obvious talent, and he made it look so easy, so fluid.  This will be controversial, but pre-roid Barry Bonds is up there too.   It's easy to forget that Griffey and Bonds were once fairly comparable players. 

With one big difference...the young Bonds was a threat on the basepaths.

Archived