2019 MLB Discussion

rico

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You think so? 4 straight playoffs, 1 title,etc....you think George would run Joe out? I mean Theo is all but doing that already without giving him an extension. 

I think Maddon would have been out after last year if Steinbrenner was the owner. Especially in light of the talent the Cubs have.

Steinbrenner once said, "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

And I don't think he meant division championships and wild card berths.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Maddon would have been out after last year if Steinbrenner was the owner. Especially in light of the talent the Cubs have.

Steinbrenner once said, "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

And I don't think he meant division championships and wild card berths.

Understand. Always amazing to me they went from 82-94 without making the playoffs. 12 seasons. Hard to fathom given the franchise and resources. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. Always amazing to me they went from 82-94 without making the playoffs. 12 seasons. Hard to fathom given the franchise and resources. 

To be honest, the Ricketts are the first competent owners the Cubs have had in my lifetime. William Wrigley was by all accounts a nice man, but not a good owner. Look up "The College of Coaches" experiment sometime. The Tribune Co. wasn't much better. They didn't have the money to do much beyond sustain the Cubs. Neither ownership group embraced building a good minor league system or having patience with young players (see Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio...to the Cardinals, no less!), or investing in the ballpark/neighborhood. The Greg Maddux exit after the 92 season is all anyone needs to look at to understand the Tribune Co's idiocy.

I like the current ownership. They've invested in Wrigley Field, and tried to build a good minor league and scouting system (the Cardinals' recipe for success for a long, long time). 

I also like the Epstein/Hoyer combination. Be interesting to see what they do in the near future if the Cubs continue to struggle.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To be honest, the Ricketts are the first competent owners the Cubs have had in my lifetime. William Wrigley was by all accounts a nice man, but not a good owner. Look up "The College of Coaches" experiment sometime. The Tribune Co. wasn't much better. They didn't have the money to do much beyond sustain the Cubs. Neither ownership group embraced building a good minor league system or having patience with young players (see Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio...to the Cardinals, no less!), or investing in the ballpark/neighborhood. The Greg Maddux exit after the 92 season is all anyone needs to look at to understand the Tribune Co's idiocy.

I like the current ownership. They've invested in Wrigley Field, and tried to build a good minor league and scouting system (the Cardinals' recipe for success for a long, long time). 

I also like the Epstein/Hoyer combination. Be interesting to see what they do in the near future if the Cubs continue to struggle.

I'll never forget when Theo took over. He made the comment he couldn't believe players contracts were actually printed out and in manila folders in a filing cabinet. Just sitting there in a random office. Ricketts have been a godsend. 

Cubs gain a split with the loathsome Mets. Baez bailed us out with an 8th inning 3 run homer. If anyone wants to see what a hanging breaking ball looks like, watch that replay...it just spun up there and said, "Hit me!"

Cole Hamels has been one of Theo's best acquisitions. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds lose 2nd in a row after winning 6 in a row.  Their starting pitching the last 3 games was not good at all with no pitcher going past 5 innings.

Ugh...and I was starting to get really excited.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No such thing as must wins in June but Baez shot to save us today was as close as it gets. Maybe shot in the arm we need to get some energy going again. 4 vs Atlanta and 3 vs Reds this week.

And the Braves are playing some good baseball.

Hopefully, Jon Lester is back on track with yesterday's performance.

That said, Tyler Flowers was out of line yesterday. If Contreras has a beef with the umpire, Flowers needs to stay out of it. I thought Willson's reaction after parking one was justified.

But I wonder if the Braves pitching staff will look for some retribution today 

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hopefully, Jon Lester is back on track with yesterday's performance.

That said, Tyler Flowers was out of line yesterday. If Contreras has a beef with the umpire, Flowers needs to stay out of it. I thought Willson's reaction after parking one was justified.

But I wonder if the Braves pitching staff will look for some retribution today 

They can bring it all day long and I thank them for it. That was a different team last night. Might be just the spark needed after Javy's bomb on Sunday. Agree with you as well. Flowers didn't need to enter the conversation at all. Alzolay gets the call tonight for his first start. Hopefully we come out with the same edge again. 

It looked like the Yankees were going to cruise in their game against the Blue Jays last night. Leading 10-2 going in the 8th inning, relief pitcher Jonathan Holder came in and promptly served up a home run to the first batter he faced making the score 10-3. No big deal right? But it got worse. The next 3 batters got on base, then whamo! A grand slam and now it's 10-7! And all of this happened without recording an out! Thought I was book's to have a coronary! Needless to say the fans were brutal as the Boos were loud and clear.

I read this morning where Holder got sent down. If there is one thing I feel where the Yankees are weak at, it's there pitching. No Severino, no Betances. Plus an old CC, unpredictable Tanaka, and JA (homer) Happ, I don't feel confident that is a World Series winning staff. It's nice to have the big bats, but the Steinbrenner boys have to realize they need to spend big bucks to get a top end pitcher. Plus they do have good players to use as trade bait.

14 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It looked like the Yankees were going to cruise in their game against the Blue Jays last night. Leading 10-2 going in the 8th inning, relief pitcher Jonathan Holder came in and promptly served up a home run to the first batter he faced making the score 10-3. No big deal right? But it got worse. The next 3 batters got on base, then whamo! A grand slam and now it's 10-7! And all of this happened without recording an out! Thought I was book's to have a coronary! Needless to say the fans were brutal as the Boos were loud and clear.

I read this morning where Holder got sent down. If there is one thing I feel where the Yankees are weak at, it's there pitching. No Severino, no Betances. Plus an old CC, unpredictable Tanaka, and JA (homer) Happ, I don't feel confident that is a World Series winning staff. It's nice to have the big bats, but the Steinbrenner boys have to realize they need to spend big bucks to get a top end pitcher. Plus they do have good players to use as trade bait.

We spoke of him a few pages back but if it's pitching the Yankees need and bullpen help why not make an offer for Bumgarner and Will Smith? 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hmmm...Twinks, Braves, and Dodgers (wouldn't that be a kicker?) aren't on that list. 

And 2 of those might be in the market for a winner that has beaucoup post-season experience.

I would say he would ok anything.  It is a salary ploy.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say he would ok anything.  It is a salary ploy.

True, but the Braves have the 3rd best farm system, and the Twinks have the 8th best. The Giants are going to want some young talent in return.

I don't know if Bumgarner and the Giants have a "gentleman's agreement" on this, but the smart baseball move, as far as I'm concerned, is to look for a team that is in the same situation the Cubs were faced with in 2016. Needing one piece that they felt would push them over the top.

And getting a premium return for him.

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True, but the Braves have the 3rd best farm system, and the Twinks have the 8th best. The Giants are going to want some young talent in return.

I don't know if Bumgarner and the Giants have a "gentleman's agreement" on this, but the smart baseball move, as far as I'm concerned, is to look for a team that is in the same situation the Cubs were faced with in 2016. Needing one piece that they felt would push them over the top.

And getting a premium return for him.

Yep, the Giants have fallen.  Need big time return.

26 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

the Well the yanks go for the HR record for the number of consecutive games hitting  a homerun by a team. Right now they are tied with the '02 Texas Rangers.

Stay Tuned....

Well that didn't take long as lead off hitter, DJ LeMahieu, belts a homer to give the Yanks the team home run record. And it didn't stop there as Judge also knocked one out in the 1st inning and Gleyber Torres belted one out in the 2nd.

Fireworks are starting early!!!

Go Yanks

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well that didn't take long as lead off hitter, DJ LeMahieu, belts a homer to give the Yanks the team home run record. And it didn't stop there as Judge also knocked one out in the 1st inning and Gleyber Torres belted one out in the 2nd.

Fireworks are starting early!!!

Go Yanks

Just heard that on the Cubs game.

Archived