2019 MLB Discussion

rico

I've asked plenty and still can't get an answer so I'll try here for the baseball fans. I understand contingencies and having a scheduled day off in cold weather cities....but why in warm climates do they have a scheduled day off? Cubs start season and boom day off....I'd rather have that day off in August or Sept. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've asked plenty and still can't get an answer so I'll try here for the baseball fans. I understand contingencies and having a scheduled day off in cold weather cities....but why in warm climates do they have a scheduled day off? Cubs start season and boom day off....I'd rather have that day off in August or Sept. 

The way that MLB schedules has always been a complete mystery to me other than it borders on lunacy.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, Seeking6 said:

I think they wanted to spread the opening series out a little. Better coverage.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Generally not a good formula. Haha. I give myself 40 games every season to let things sort themselves out. 

Well it looks as though the starters aren't keeping up their end of the deal either.

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Odds Yelitch makes it 5 games in a row with a dinger tonight.  Considering it's the Reds in GABP, I'll put it at 93 percent.

I put it at 0%....but Yelich still had the big hit of the game.  BTW, smallest crowd ever at GABP last night...40 degree weather has a way of bringing people out.

Watching the Reds last night and I hate seeing managers pulling starters so early in the game.  The reds pitcher had pitched 5 innings and gave up one run and the manager took him out and the very next inning the reliever gave up 3 runs.  He had only 82 pitches and should have been able to go out a at least pitched one more inning.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watching the Reds last night and I hate seeing managers pulling starters so early in the game.  The reds pitcher had pitched 5 innings and gave up one run and the manager took him out and the very next inning the reliever gave up 3 runs.  He had only 82 pitches and should have been able to go out a at least pitched one more inning.

Crazy ain't it?  But we got to pay attention to that pitch count.  LOL

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Crazy ain't it?  But we got to pay attention to that pitch count.  LOL

To me they want to coddle today's pitchers but to me it is not working and that we have way more arm problems today than we did when the pitchers pitched a lot of innings.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me they want to coddle today's pitchers but to me it is not working and that we have way more arm problems today than we did when the pitchers pitched a lot of innings.

Unfortunately it is at all levels. My son only threw 4 innings yesterday gave up 1 hit no runs and 52 pitches but coach told him he was gonna go 4. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with the coddling, but not so sure about the arm problems.  Mark Fidrych, Fernando Valenzuela, Don Gullett...just to name some big names from the past.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I agree with the coddling, but not so sure about the arm problems.  Mark Fidrych, Fernando Valenzuela, Don Gullett...just to name some big names from the past.

I guess we just here about a lot of them today but it sure seems like there are way more injuries.  Now it is about throwing as hard as you can for as long as you can then come out.

Reds t got shut out for the second time this week with a 1-0 loss to Milwaukee.  They are now 1-4 and have scored a total of 11 runs with 5 in the opening day win.  Well I guess it looks like my baseball season will not last to long with another bad year for the Reds.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds t got shut out for the second time this week with a 1-0 loss to Milwaukee.  They are now 1-4 and have scored a total of 11 runs with 5 in the opening day win.  Well I guess it looks like my baseball season will not last to long with another bad year for the Reds.

Not sure why I allowed myself to get sucked into believing this year would be different.  

Archived