2019 MLB Discussion

rico

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Great discussion by the way.  I love having debates like this.  

I do too, and you make some good points...but I just think WAR is a flawed statistic. 

I do agree with Ruth at #1, but Ted Williams at #14!?!?

And look at DiMaggio

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Using that logic, Sandberg played 16 years to Morgan's 22, so 6 more years at Sandberg's average WAR doesn't make it the "far better" than first acclaimed.

LOL.  Yeah, that would make it closer.  But, to be fair, Morgan's first 2 years, he played a combined 18 games.  So, let's call it 20 years.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too, and you make some good points...but I just think WAR is a flawed statistic. 

I do agree with Ruth at #1, but Ted Williams at #14!?!?

And look at DiMaggio

Williams as a hitter would rank higher, but as an overall player, #14 is understandable (especially when pitchers take some of those positions).  

DiMaggio is hurt by a short career, much like Koufax.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Williams as a hitter would rank higher, but as an overall player, #14 is understandable (especially when pitchers take some of those positions).  

DiMaggio is hurt by a short career, much like Koufax.

I would imagine if they figured in the almost 5 years he lost to military service he'd be higher as well...the way I'm figuring, around Willie Mays territory.

7 hours ago, rico said:

And the Cubs trade for a catcher......Contreras is hurt

So who is the odd man out when Contreras comes back (strained arch...not going to be out long from what I read)? I think I mentioned one trade in the Whitfield scenario included Caratini going to the Royals. Is this possibly the precursor?

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So who is the odd man out when Contreras comes back (strained arch...not going to be out long from what I read)? I think I mentioned one trade in the Whitfield scenario included Caratini going to the Royals. Is this possibly the precursor?

Couple few scenarios with this move and not sure which one to think is the reason. No secret we've been wanting to deal Monty for a loooong time. Maybe with Contreras injury/trip to IL this was just the right time.

What happens though when he comes back? More OF time for WC? Keep 3 catchers? Maybe WC injury is more severe than he or Cubs think? 

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couple few scenarios with this move and not sure which one to think is the reason. No secret we've been wanting to deal Monty for a loooong time. Maybe with Contreras injury/trip to IL this was just the right time.

What happens though when he comes back? More OF time for WC? Keep 3 catchers? Maybe WC injury is more severe than he or Cubs think? 

Contreras himself said he wanted to play yesterday, and could have. I think this is Theo's way of getting him his mid-season all-star break (since he really didn't get one, being on the AS team). Get him a little rest before the dog days of summer.

That said, I think carrying 3 catchers is nuts, especially when you're carrying 13 pitchers. 16 roster spots taken up by 2 positions, with 7 others slated for the field? I know both Contreras and Caratini have some flexibility in where they play, but I'd think 2 catchers with Schwarber as an emergency back up would be plenty.

Package up Happ (who's been hot lately), Caratini, and Russell for Merrifield. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Contreras himself said he wanted to play yesterday, and could have. I think this is his mid-season all-star break (since he really didn't get one, being in the AS team). Get him a little rest before the dog days of summer.

That said, I think carrying 3 catchers is nuts, especially when you're carrying 13 pitchers. 16 roster spots taken up by 2 positions, with 7 others slated for the field? I know both Contreras and Caratini have some flexibility in where they play, but I'd think 2 catchers with Schwarber as an emergency back up would be plenty.

Package up Happ (who's been hot lately), Caratini, and Russell for Whitfield. 

Yep. Probably just the first move in a series of moves by Theo over next 2 weeks. The fact the Royals and Cubs made this deal and are talking tells me the WM trade interest is real. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Probably just the first move in a series of moves by Theo over next 2 weeks. The fact the Royals and Cubs made this deal and are talking tells me the WM trade interest is real. 

Geez...Whitfield...lol...old age allows me to combine first and last names.

Heartbreak for me last night. The Yankees began a 4 game series with the Rays. Game was close. Edwin Encarnacion hits a 2 run HR, walking the parrot around the bases, as he gave the Yankees a 2 run lead in the bottom of the 8th 4-2. Enter Chapman where 2 men on base and with 2 outs, a 3 ball 2 strike count, d'Arnaud of the Rays jacks a 3 run shot and the Yanks lost 5-4, arrrggh.

d'Arnaud had a 3 home run night and accounted for all 5 of Tampas' runs. BTW, d'Arnaud was 0 for 5 against Chapman.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Decent yes....but at end of day record wise worse team in division and the Cubs are 3-7 on the season vs that team. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

Maybe the Reds just aren't as bad as you think they are and that the Cubs are just not as good as you think they are.  The Cubs defense is pretty bad and your relief pitching is not that good as well.  I also think with Maddon changing the lineup all the time and playing guys at different places hurts the defense.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I also think with Maddon changing the lineup all the time and playing guys at different places hurts the defense.

While I do think the Cubs have as much talent on the field as any team in baseball, I'll also say they're underachieving.

And I agree with your statement about the defense. Let me also say that I'm a bigger proponent of a set batting order than Joe Maddon seems to be.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I do think the Cubs have as much talent on the field as any team in baseball, I'll also say they're underachieving.

And I agree with your statement about the defense. Let me also say that I'm a bigger proponent of a set batting order than Joe Maddon seems to be.

I know Schwarber gets on base but I don't like him in the leadoff position as well.  To me when you have no speed at the top of the lineup it clogs the base paths up.  You won't see him go 1st to 3rd on a single or score from first on a double.  When you have no speed and you just rely on the homerun like most of baseball does it will lead to inconsistent offense.

Archived