2019 MLB Discussion

rico

8 hours ago, rico said:

I will be cheering them on for you then.

Gracias...it was a valiant effort, but we got Strop-a-doped...again

Geez, how many times does a guy have to give up the lead before Joe tries somebody else in that spot?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Geez, how many times does a guy have to give up the lead before Joe tries somebody else in that spot?

Who do you suggest? 

I think Joe's tried about any and everyone at this point all season long. Problem....for the most part the players just aren't doing it. Tough loss. Fly across the country to start a 9 game road trip and blow an 8th inning lead.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Who do you suggest? 

I think Joe's tried about any and everyone at this point all season long. Problem....for the most part the players just aren't doing it. Tough loss. Fly across the country to start a 9 game road trip and blow an 8th inning lead.

I know they had sent Carl Edwards down to get back to where he was before his injury, but the way he was going I'd say he'd be the 8th inning guy. You have Ryan, Kintzler, and Cishek who have all pitched reasonably well. They've all been better than Pedro.

I get the fact that the Cubs are looking for bullpen help, but geez...it's disheartening to see them carry a 2 run lead into the 8th and lose.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Strop's 8th inning line...

10 IP 7 ER 6.30 ERA BA .282

Cishek

16 IP 8 ER 4.50 ERA BA .233

Kintzler

13.2 IP 2 ER 1.32 ERA .244 BA

Ryan

9 IP 6 ER 6.00 ERA .333 BA

I love baseball-reference.com

Kintzler I would be fine with but he's always been better at 7th inning role...or maybe it just feels that way. Strop has been a really good Cub but like Edwards if he can't find his stuff he needs to step aside. Losses like this one are the reason we don't have 7-8 game lead in the division already. Just deflating and disheartening to lose one like this.

Top 10 Trade Deadline Deals of All-Time

Thought this was interesting. But how in the world can this one (even though it exposes the ineptitude of Cubs management in the early 60s) not be #1?

4. Cardinals acquire Lou Brock

• Details: Cardinals trade Ernie Broglio, Doug Clemens and Bobby Shantz to Cubs for Brock, Jack Spring and Paul Toth
  • Date: June 15, 1964
  • Before trade: Eighth place in National League (7 GB of PHI)
  • Cardinals' final finish:Won National League by one game, won World Series
  •  

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll add one more thing. Descalso has 9 hits since May 1st. Rizzo has 9 hits in last 4-5 games. Why does he have a roster spot? Same with Chatwood. Can't remember the last time he pitched. Unless there are contractual reasons I'd keep calling guys up from Iowa for those 2 roster spots and see if any of the pitchers can help.

People bring up Happ. Writing is on the wall for him quite awhile. He's been ready to be called up and hasn't. Pretty obvious to me the front office doesn't plan on calling him up. Which means he'll be up on the roster by the weekend....haha

13 minutes ago, rico said:

You fellas watch the Cubs more than I do as I usually listen to them on the radio(WRSW out of Warsaw).  But watching that game last night I felt like Amora is a defensive liability in CF.

I didn't watch the game (530am gym session twice per week) so I can't comment specifically on last night's game. Almora is actually one of the best we have so he must have had made some poor plays. With that said he is providing no consistency at the plate which is why I think this Castellanos trade should happen. Put him in right...move Heyward to CF. Gives us another bat in the lineup and you have more interchangeable lineups (which should make Cubs fans really happy....sarcasm) with Castellanos being able to play to play RF and 3B. 

After last night I'd like to see the Cubs inquire about Shane Greene too. Might as well take another pitcher before the Dodgers make the move and get both.

Reds win despite their manager trying to reinvent the game last night.  Reds were up 4-1 in the 8th but gave up a grand slam to go behind 5-4.  Suarez hit a 2 run HR in the 9th to win the game and that was his second two run homer of the game.  In the 7th they had Lorenzen in pitching but took him out but put him in right field and took out Puig which has been our hottest hitter.  I thought they did that because Lorenzen is a very good hitter and athlete.  The problem was when his spot came up to bat in the 8th inning they pinch hit for him so it did not make sense to me to keep him in the game if you are just going to pinch hit for him later.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I didn't watch the game (530am gym session twice per week) so I can't comment specifically on last night's game. Almora is actually one of the best we have so he must have had made some poor plays. With that said he is providing no consistency at the plate which is why I think this Castellanos trade should happen. Put him in right...move Heyward to CF. Gives us another bat in the lineup and you have more interchangeable lineups (which should make Cubs fans really happy....sarcasm) with Castellanos being able to play to play RF and 3B. 

After last night I'd like to see the Cubs inquire about Shane Greene too. Might as well take another pitcher before the Dodgers make the move and get both.

I felt Almora misplayed 3 balls that were hit to him.  

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds win despite their manager trying to reinvent the game last night.  Reds were up 4-1 in the 8th but gave up a grand slam to go behind 5-4.  Suarez hit a 2 run HR in the 9th to win the game and that was his second two run homer of the game.  In the 7th they had Lorenzen in pitching but took him out but put him in right field and took out Puig which has been our hottest hitter.  I thought they did that because Lorenzen is a very good hitter and athlete.  The problem was when his spot came up to bat in the 8th inning they pinch hit for him so it did not make sense to me to keep him in the game if you are just going to pinch hit for him later.

That Lorenzen move made no sense...thank God Geno!

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He got it so mixed up when Puig's turn came back up which was actually the pitchers spot and had to use their last position player as a pinch hitter

Somebody on one of the Reds sites called Bell the next coming of Bob Boone...has fallen in love with the double switch.  And Lorenzen's abilities add to Bell's desire to do it.

28 minutes ago, rico said:

Somebody on one of the Reds sites called Bell the next coming of Bob Boone...has fallen in love with the double switch.  And Lorenzen's abilities add to Bell's desire to do it.

The thing is that bell has not let Lorenzen bat that much this year and to me he is better than some of  our bench guys.

Another thing about bell I blame him for the failures of the bullpen we have seen the last few weeks.  To me it goes back to how he was handling the starters earlier in the year when he was talking them out to early in games when they were pitching well.  He was taking them out when they had given up only a run or two in the 5th and 6th innings and just over worked the bullpen and now e are paying for it.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that bell has not let Lorenzen bat that much this year and to me he is better than some of  our bench guys.

3 hits in 11 ABs this year...while having played in 62 games.  WTF?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Small sample sizes but the dude hit .290 last year...he needs more AB's.  

I think he hit 4 homeruns last year as well.  With how different he handle Lorenzen than the former coach and how different he has used Jarrod Hughes in the pen has been baffling to me.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think he hit 4 homeruns last year as well.  With how different he handle Lorenzen than the former coach and how different he has used Jarrod Hughes in the pen has been baffling to me.

Yep, 4 dingers last year.  And Hughes might find his way to the closer role.

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My 12 year old grandson has hit 4 dingers this summer in All Star games! No solo shots either, they were 3 run or 2 run dingers!!!

I'm a proud Papaw......

Nice, is he a Red Sox fan?  LOL

Archived