2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Maybe Steuben can address. Why do I feel like the Twins are still considered a small market team? Minneapolis is huge, plenty of Fortune 500 companies....all 4 sports, host Super Bowls, Final 4's...in a lot of ways similar to Indy but why is it I consider them small?? Really pulling for them in the AL....plus the Yankees. I know, I know it's hypocritical but loved Mattingly growing up. Guess I'll always cheer for them a little.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe Steuben can address. Why do I feel like the Twins are still considered a small market team? Minneapolis is huge, plenty of Fortune 500 companies....all 4 sports, host Super Bowls, Final 4's...in a lot of ways similar to Indy but why is it I consider them small?? Really pulling for them in the AL....plus the Yankees. I know, I know it's hypocritical but loved Mattingly growing up. Guess I'll always cheer for them a little.

I will let Steubby address it but I did find this.......

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_markets.shtml

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I want to dislike the Yankees but both boys like them and for the most part they are a young likable team. I like Boone a lot as a manager. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think a lot of 'market size' is dependent on TV revenue.  I'm not exactly sure how that is determined, but I assume that the number of potential viewers based on TV sets has something to do with that.  Interestingly enough, Minneapolis is actually behind Tampa in that regard, and absolutely no one considers Tampa a large market team (see link below).

https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

The Twin Cities is just the tip of the fan base for the Twins. Any home game in Minneapolis will typically draw fans from the Upper Peninsula, the Dakotas, Iowa, even as far west as Montana. The geographical demographics are definitely not small market.

Where the franchise gets the reputation is from a history of ownership with tight wallets. The Twins have always had a reputation of building teams on the cheap. They typically have a strong minor league feeder system only to trade away the talent when it develops and demands more money.

Periodically they have built a team both competitive on the field and representative of a major league payroll... the 1991 World Series champions with Hrbek, Puckett, Morris, etc being the last, best example. Unfortunately, the ownership allowed that team to break up and they floundered for the better of the last 25 or so years. Lots of criticism came Management’s way over the perception that Joe Maurer’s career as a Twin was wasted due to ownership cheapness in not bringing enough talent to surround him.

The Twins have finally brought in a GM whose vision of building a franchise is more similar to a Theo Epstein. They are developing, and keeping their young talent, at least so far. Guys like Buxton and Kepler came up through the organization and are being paid to stay around. They are strategically spending on free agents and have done a better job identifying players with something left or something to prove. Cruz and Odorizzi are great examples. They are in the position to be buyers here instead of the perennial practice of gutting the team at the end of July.

The Twins will never be the Yankees, Cubs, Cardinals or Dodgers in regards to a national following. They probably won’t be as competitive as they are this season every year because economic reality will hit and some of these guys will cash in. I am optimistic though that the leadership in place has a plan and will find enough talent to make a run every few years. They have a manager that the players love— Molitor was a great player and has a great baseball mind, but he was just too rigid.

In all, other than the Indians, I think the Twins are positioned for success more than every other team in their division.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

After the Reds, I like players more than teams.  The only MLB team I truly dislike is the Cardinals.  My son could play for St. Louis and I still would not root for them.  

Now that is some "Tuff Love."

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Actually.. Brewers missed an extra point. Damn Cody Parkey. 

Lol...I remember turning on a Cubs game back in the 70s...3rd inning it was 17-6 Phillies...Cubs came back and eventually lost, 23-22...

Someone quipped on TV the next day (Coppack or Don Hein maybe) "The Cubs missed an extra point." 

Cubs lose another close one in extras. The Giants are the hottest team in MLB right now.

I'm glad Yaztremski's grandson is doing well for them. I always liked Yaz as a player, although Bouton called him out for "dogging it" in "Ball Four" when  things weren't going well for the Bosox.

Hopefully Lester can salvage a getaway day afternoon game.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cubs lose another close one in extras. The Giants are the hottest team in MLB right now.

I'm glad Yaztremski's grandson is doing well for them. I always liked Yaz as a player, although Bouton called him out for "dogging it" in "Ball Four" when  things weren't going well for the Bosox.

Hopefully Lester can salvage a getaway day afternoon game.

Need one today for sure. Just catching the Giants at a bad time for us. 17-3 over last 20. After today 9 games in a row vs Brewers and Cardinals.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Need one today for sure. Just catching the Giants at a bad time for us. 17-3 over last 20. After today 9 games in a row vs Brewers and Cardinals.

Pretty shocking the Cardinals are only a half game back. Not upset about it of course but still pretty shocking. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Pretty shocking the Cardinals are only a half game back. Not upset about it of course but still pretty shocking. 

Equally shocking the Cubs aren't 8 games up. Bullpen problems, timely hitting, injuries, missing Zobrist....it's always something so far this year with Cubs. I hope all can get resolved before end of September comes. If not. Early exit again.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Equally shocking the Cubs aren't 8 games up. Bullpen problems, timely hitting, injuries, missing Zobrist....it's always something so far this year with Cubs. I hope all can get resolved before end of September comes. If not. Early exit again.

With the Cubs road record, I'm not hopeful. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

With the Cubs road record, I'm not hopeful. 

That's the absolute part of this thing that ticks me off. There isn't a better supported team on the road in baseball. Haven't won a road series since mid May? Worst road team in NL and just barely ahead of KC Royals and Baltimore Orioles. Don't need to tell you obviously....but let that sink in. Haha

Archived