Archie Miller's coaching philosophy...Is this current team smart enough for Archie's standards?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So , you are of the belief coaches don’t matter then, as that wasn’t Davis’ doing 

No I am of the belief that a good/great coach utilizes whoever he has.  Knight did it, and implemented a new system with recruits that weren't his in his and made it to FF in his second year.  Davis took over for Knight and in his second year we were playing for a championship.  Knight was a great coach, Davis is a good coach.  They implemented their systems and had them working in short order.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

So it is Crean's fault?  Not buying it.

Difference of opinion then.

Archie was left with few options when he took over and made the decision to re- recruit the kids that Crean brought in. How many of those kids do you honestly think would be wearing pinstripes had Archie been coach a year prior?

You can only work with what you have 

Just now, rico said:

No I am of the belief that a good/great coach utilizes whoever he has.  Knight did it, and implemented a new system with recruits that weren't his in his and made it to FF in his second year.  Davis took over for Knight and in his second year we were playing for a championship.  Knight was a great coach, Davis is a good coach.  They implemented their systems and had them working in short order.  

Really. Davis implemented his system 🤣

Davis was so over his head that he was fortunate to have a team that would have excelled if you were coach.

Tell me that you are not stuck on Knight and that everyone has to live up to him. 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Really. Davis implemented his system 🤣

Davis was so over his head that he was fortunate to have a team that would have excelled if you were coach.

Tell me that you are not stuck on Knight and that everyone has to live up to him. 

I am just saying that 2 coaches implemented their systems and had no problem having success in 2 years.  I would venture to say that Sampson's second year might have ended up with a FF appearance.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I am just saying that 2 coaches implemented their systems and had no problem having success in 2 years.  I would venture to say that Sampson's second year might have ended up with a FF appearance.

If you can’t see the complete roster differences between the ‘02 team and our current team, I don’t know what to tell you.  I typically respect your opinion Rico, but you’re way off base here.  That ‘02 team had WAY more overall talent than our current team.

The way our current roster is constructed is very poor.  If you do not have players who can shoot the ball, which is what basketball is predicated on, it makes winning way more difficult.  We don’t have anyone to stretch the floor currently, and teams will continue game planning for us just like Nebraska did.

Edit: Plus the ‘02 team had experience at key positions (Coverdale, Fife, Hornsby, Newton, etc) with a stud in Jeffries as a sophomore.

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Who said anything about Carolina’s offense. That was Crean ball to the core and didn’t hold up to teams that could turn a game into half court. 

Give me tough minded kids who don’t mind scrapping and value defense and ball possession every time 

Did you read the op?  It says CAM plays a Carolina transition offense.  

But yes I want those kids too.  I'm just trying to figure out what the hell our offense is really destined to be.  I don't see a Phoenix fast break or Carolina transition.   The pack line d, sure we have a much stiffer d and with an actual college 5 man player in the middle and not over worked and undersized juwan, the d would be even better.  

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

If you can’t see the complete roster differences between the ‘02 team and our current team, I don’t know what to tell you.  I typically respect your opinion Rico, but you’re way off base here.  That ‘02 team had WAY more overall talent than our current team.

The way our current roster is constructed is very poor.  If you do not have players who can shoot the ball, which is what basketball is predicated on, it makes winning way more difficult.  We don’t have anyone to stretch the floor currently, and teams will continue game planning for us just like Nebraska did.

How much of the team's construction falls on Archie?  

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I am just saying, Davis’ “system “ had little to no impact on the final 4 team. That was RMK’s team through and through.

Davis’ system was best 

defined by “give the ball to Bracey and let him shoot from 40 feet.”

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am just saying, Davis’ “system “ had little to no impact on the final 4 team. That was RMK’s team through and through.

Davis’ system was best 

defined by “give the ball to Bracey and let him shoot from 40 feet.”

And RMK's '73 team was Lou Watson's through and through?

Just now, rico said:

How much of the team's construction falls on Archie?  

I would say that 5 guys on our current roster falls on him.  One is currently leading us in ppg (Romeo), one had to medical redshirt (Hunter), one was our starting PG getting into a great rhythm and playing excellent basketball before a concussion (Phinisee), and two are still trying to learn the system (Forrester), with one being a GREAT outside shooter (Anderson).

I know you keep bringing up CAM “recruiting” the players we already had committed, but what else did you expect him to do?!  It was late in the recruiting process and the players who were uncommitted, most likely were never recruited by CAM while at Dayton.  We needed bodies, and it’s not like the guys who were signed were terrible, just probably not “his” style of player.  We could have potentially had McKinley Wright, but he didn’t want to wait.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Woulda shoulda coulda. Looking through the rear view mirror is unproductive.

Not saying that at all.  Wright jumped for Colorado, before Archie even had a chance to get in touch with him.  All I am saying is, McKinley is a player I like very much. If not IU.... glad he's at Colorado.  He's a joy to watch.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's a question.  Archie came from Dayton.  He did not have elite talent.  He certainly did not have anything remotely close to a Romeo level talent.  So, I'll ask thins.  Does Archie know how to build and manage a team around an elite player?

Damn fine question.  The jury is out.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here's a question.  Archie came from Dayton.  He did not have elite talent.  He certainly did not have anything remotely close to a Romeo level talent.  So, I'll ask thins.  Does Archie know how to build and manage a team around an elite player?

How could anyone know after what, 17-18 games? Wouldn’t it take Romeo staying around for more than a season so that he could actually “build around “ him?

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Meh.  All things considered, long term health of the program, state of recruiting, and so on, I'd rather have Rob Phinisee,  He's going to be a sharp stick in the eye of boiler fans.  I don't think Rob would be here if Wright was.

You are probably correct.  I grant you that.  Glad to have Rob. Could not have gone wrong, either way, IMHO.   Crazy world... the world of recruiting that is. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What's the difference in building a team around an elite player and building a team around your best player?  Every coach does the second every year right?  Doesn't matter if they are a OAD or a 3 star senior that developed into a monster.

Archived