Archie Miller's coaching philosophy...Is this current team smart enough for Archie's standards?

I will say, for all the criticism I’ve had, Brian Snow published an article today with some behind the scenes details I was not aware of that explain some of the limitations Archie had in building the roster.  Still, he needs to be doing a better job with the talented pieces he does have.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rico said:

Thank you, but I already knew that info.  But somewhere I am confused about the "building a program" thing.  B didn't do it at Michigan.  Izzy didn't do it at MSU.  Wright didn't do it at Nova.  Bennett didn't do it at UVA.

Now if you want to say instill their style then I am cool with that.  

Semantics. They didn't build brands, all were already established brands, but outside of Izzo, who also struggled early with a seamless transition, they built 'their' program and instilled 'their' culture, and that takes time. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would assume that Juwan and Romeo are both coachable. Others that are left not so much.

That is my point exactly.......So many of these posters are calling for more playing time for "this kid and that kid"...but some of these available players on the bench may not "pass Archie's inspection yet" or just not putting in their best effort in practice.  Sometimes,... just sometimes the most talented players on the team are not the ones earning the most minutes. On paper, that is how it is supposed to be.

In my opinion,.....Juwan, Romeo and Robert are the only players on this team that have both elite talent and are highly coachable!  (Deron Davis really should fit in the group with Juwan, Romeo and Robert, but his injury and conditioning has kept him at bay......really a non factor.)

Fitzner and McRobert are not anywhere near the talent level as those three, but I believe they both are smart, understand what Archie wants, highly coachable, but lack  the complete package that we need. ( One would think Clifton and Damezi should  be getting minutes, but for some reason they are not ready. They do look lost when they come out there.)

Then there is Devonte and Justin......both have potential to be elite level talent, ...especially Justin, but,....to me, seem difficult to coach.  They get a lot of minutes because of their needed skill set and athleticism. Unfortunately, they just don't seem to "get it". I feel their demeanor and street ball mentality can create a negative effect on this team. 

I know there are others who contribute, but these 8 players are the ones getting most of the playing time because they are meeting some need that Archie is wanting.  Obviously Archie knows what he wants and knows what he is seeing in practice with the entire team.  I will continue to support Archie and this team because I feel he is the right man for the job. He just doesn't have enough of the "right tools" in his tool box to fix the problem yet. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think you’re crazy for lots of reasons. 😁

no way can you do this, no coach does or would. Just look at the injuries and health issues this year. Consider potential transfer decisions. Consider that going in you just don’t know how guys will develop at the college level, who will really play well with whom, etc.

Then there’s competition for playing time and how that improves players individually and the team. Guys compete for playing time, that’s how it should be. 

I looked up all of the name programs.  While I could not find any with 11, nor did I find anyone else with 13.  They all had 12.  That said, Gonzaga is redshirting are playing with 10.  None of the other teams I looked up separated redshirts.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I will say, for all the criticism I’ve had, Brian Snow published an article today with some behind the scenes details I was not aware of that explain some of the limitations Archie had in building the roster.  Still, he needs to be doing a better job with the talented pieces he does have.

If True that he wasn’t allowed to walk away from the recruits then I too will extend him a bit of a pass  

haven’t gotten to read the whole article if anybody has more details from it would appreciate it

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If True that he wasn’t allowed to walk away from the recruits then I too will extend him a bit of a pass  

haven’t gotten to read the whole article if anybody has more details from it would appreciate it

Interesting turn of events.  Perfect time to let that info leak and get some pressure turned down.  

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wow, just wow....Is all I can say about this article below. Someone screenshot this premium article from Peegs today. It has been said that it was written by a reporter about what Archie Miller "walked into" his first day on the job at IU. This definitely explains some things that were totally out of his control. I'm sure Archie was pissed because of what was laid on his plate. Thanks Tom Crean!!😠

Screenshot_20190116-171009.thumb.png.4a8c257be6539c9255c4258d5a91d246.png

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I looked up all of the name programs.  While I could not find any with 11, nor did I find anyone else with 13.  They all had 12.  That said, Gonzaga is redshirting are playing with 10.  None of the other teams I looked up separated redshirts.

It's true that a number of schools leave one scholly on the table, you're advocating taking 2 away. so we're a team that has had at least 5 scholarship players injured or unable to play just this season, and you want to reduce the scholarship offers? Reasonable minds can always disagree, but you didn't address any of my comments. Teams recruit to try to ensure they've got a full team, in light of injuries/illness, unknown development, chemistry, to grow the team by competition, etc. 

44 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow, just wow....Is all I can say about this article below. Someone screenshot this premium article from Peegs today. It has been said that it was written by a reporter about what Archie Miller "walked into" his first day on the job at IU. This definitely explains some things that were totally out of his control. I'm sure Archie was pissed because of what was laid on his plate. Thanks Tom Crean!!😠

Screenshot_20190116-171009.thumb.png.4a8c257be6539c9255c4258d5a91d246.png

Could explain why Coach Miller did not go hard after McKinley Wright. And let his Dayton commit drift off to Colorado.   Good friend of mine and I were talking about this earlier today.

Oh, by the way.  For those that don't follow college basketball in the Rocky Mountain West. And I understand. However,  presently, McKinley Wright is on the shelf.  Afflicted with the same issue Juwan suffered through.... shoulder popped out.  Shoulder back in place. And should return once the inflammation goes down. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Could explain why Coach Miller did not go hard after McKinley Wright. And let his Dayton commit drift off to Colorado.   Good friend of mine and I were talking about this earlier today.

Oh, by the way.  For those that don't follow college basketball in the Rocky Mountain West. And I understand. However,  presently, McKinley Wright is on the shelf.  Afflicted with the same issue Juwan suffered through.... shoulder popped out.  Shoulder back in place. And should return once the inflammation goes down. 

That is why I have been so perplexed. We are not seeing the true Archie Miller coached IU team at this point...his hands have been somewhat tied. 

Better times ahead......

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I found the remaining two pages of the of the article I posted earlier about how Archie's hands were tied when he was hired.  This really explains alot of how "pigeon holed" Archie was because of Crean's mess.

Read and see what you think ......Screenshot_20190116-212523.thumb.png.f23ffe15c1fa414c130e180b64023ed2.png

Screenshot_20190116-213430.thumb.png.a223e6a732614676baa86eb9345a1ddd.png

Pathetic.

Where’s Marnie when we need her?

I agree that better times are ahead, but that article smells like propaganda from someone within the athletic department.  

I believe there is enough talent on this team to win now.  But, it's not the fact that we lost to Nebraska that's bothersome, it's the way we lost.  This is not the same team we had in November.  And, in a regression like we've seen, some of the responsibility has to fall on the coaching staff.  

Thank you for those posting these snipits, as it sheds a light on the whole picture.  As fans we really never know what’s really going on.  I think CAM is trying to build the program the right way, and I think he will get it done.  As much as people don’t want to hear it, It’s just going to take time.  

People get on CAM for recruiting Creans players, but the above shows why he truly had no choice.  The one sentence that really stands out to me is “.....cleaning out dead weight.”  To me, this truly shows that there are players on this team that either shouldn’t have been offered a scholarship by IU or just don’t fit CAM’s system.  To those who want to say, “adjust the system then”, how far do you adjust it from what got you here?  How long before it’s not even the system you want to run, and then have to reteach your system once you have your players?  I think you establish your system to build a foundation and then make tweaks within it.  You don’t reinvent the wheel imo.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Here Mile....read these 2 remaining pages from the earlier article that I forgot to include....Now what do you think?Screenshot_20190116-212523.thumb.png.08282e640ddad3fb1e5db8c292d5802a.png

Screenshot_20190116-213430.thumb.png.08b010414a26eb782e9b95b70060fb29.png

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think you’re crazy for lots of reasons. 😁

no way can you do this, no coach does or would. Just look at the injuries and health issues this year. Consider potential transfer decisions. Consider that going in you just don’t know how guys will develop at the college level, who will really play well with whom, etc.

Then there’s competition for playing time and how that improves players individually and the team. Guys compete for playing time, that’s how it should be. 

Our string of injuries this season has been absurd  And, there is no way that 360 D1 programs are going to go out and start filling every scholly because of what happened to Indiana this season.  In the long run, I think scholarship players 12-13 are going to be more of a distraction than a benefit, unless they (and the other players) know and understand up front that their purpose is to prop up the team GPA, or something like that.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Thank you for those posting these snipits, as it sheds a light on the whole picture.  As fans we really never know what’s really going on.  I think CAM is trying to build the program the right way, and I think he will get it done.  As much as people don’t want to hear it, It’s just going to take time.  

People get on CAM for recruiting Creans players, but the above shows why he truly had no choice.  The one sentence that really stands out to me is “.....cleaning out dead weight.”  To me, this truly shows that there are players on this team that either shouldn’t have been offered a scholarship by IU or just don’t fit CAM’s system.  To those who want to say, “adjust the system then”, how far to you adjust it from what got you here?  How long before it’s not even the system you want to run, and then have to reteach your system once you have your players?  I think you establish your system to build a foundation and then make tweaks within it.  You don’t reinvent the wheel imo.

Very true! I can't wait until every player on this team is recruited by Archie ....then it will be truly his team.

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here Mile....read these 2 remaining pages from the earlier article that I forgot to include....Now what do you think?Screenshot_20190116-212523.thumb.png.08282e640ddad3fb1e5db8c292d5802a.png

Screenshot_20190116-213430.thumb.png.08b010414a26eb782e9b95b70060fb29.png

I'm still confused as to how the APR issues would disallow Archie to pursue McKinley Wright or other potential recruits he wanted to bring in over the three that ended up coming in Moore, Smith and Durham. They still hadn't enrolled yet right so it wouldn't affect the APR? Not saying he would have been able to reel in much more due to the quick turnaround, but just doesn't make sense to me. 

Now if Glass told him, "hey you gotta not rock the boat and not clean house" then I guess that's another thing. The article does allude to this potential with no "Spring Creaning" I guess?

Regardless, I'm on record as giving Archie the full 4 year recruiting cycle to get things figured out before anything serious in my mind. I still believe we've got a good one in Archie. He just seems to have the it factor others have mentioned. 

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying what the story is selling

Morgan is not dead weight

Davis had a catastrophic injury.  Not fair at all to label him dead weight.

If Green (a Crean recruit) is dead weight, then why is he playing 25-30 minutes a game and Anderson (an Archie recruit) is not playing at all?

If Durham (a Crean recruit) is dead weight, then why is he playing 25-30 minutes a game and Anderson (an Archie recruit) is not playing at all?

If Moore (a Crean recruit) is dead weight, then what label do we attach to Fitzner (an Archie recruit)?

If Thompson is dead weight, then what label do we attach to Forrester (an Archie recruit)?

McRoberts is a walk-on, so any expectations that he be a productive rotation player are the fault of the people that expect that, not the fault of Tom Crean.

Jerome Hunter's injury is no one's fault.

I've mentioned everyone Crean left but Smith.  Justin is a decent player.  He may or may not be starter material on a good Big Ten team.  But, if anything, Jerome Hunter's injury has been the main factor in Justin having to play more minutes than he may be ready for.

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Our string of injuries this season has been absurd  And, there is no way that 360 D1 programs are going to go out and start filling every scholly because of what happened to Indiana this season.  In the long run, I think scholarship players 12-13 are going to be more of a distraction than a benefit, unless they (and the other players) know and understand up front that their purpose is to prop up the team GPA, or something like that.

360 d1 coaches disagree

Archived