Archie

I’ve been reading some negative post about the coaching.  I think we need to give Archie time. I like that he is recruiting very well in the State of Indiana., something Crean stopped doing. I believe in my heart that give Archie two more years and we will have the team that Indiana fans are begging for. I think all we want is a team that brings it every game! We want to win! What makes us frustrated, is we have a tendency to go flat for long periods of time. We have the same problem in the Football program. I can’t remember in either sport when we won a must win game! That comes from, in my opinion poor recruiting. Both Archie and Tom Allen are recruiting better. So let’s give them time. It took Michigan basketball three years for them to turn that Program around. 

Giving somebody time doesn’t mean they are above criticism. Just because somebody criticizes doesn’t mean they are calling for him to be fired. 

But he needs to do better. These 10 minute stretches where we don’t play offense or defense have got to end. Regardless of talent well coached teams don’t do that. 

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I completely believe he’s the man for the job. I could be wrong but that’s my gut. I never had that feeling and had to become convinced of that with Crean.

i just believe Archie has the substance to continue to grow as a coach and get to where we need to be.

I agree. One thing I think Archie has at his disposal that Crean may not have allowed himself to do...take advice from others. Allows for continued development/growth as you have alluded to.

i want a full recruiting cycle to pass and then judge based on body of work for the 4 years and trajectory moving forward. Also, criticism is totally legit along the way up to end of fourth year...just don't think the keep/fire question needs to be really considered until 4 years minimum. 

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

From what i been hearing its not the coaching, but a few players,and well maybe a Dad.

Something I've noticed that seems to be a pattern is romeo not getting many or any touches early.  During this time there are a couple other guys taking poor shots or wild runners. Makes me think they are trying to do what romeo can but aren't talented enough to finish the way romeo does.  

It just seems the team chemistry is not right at this time. 

i wanted Archie at IU, and was pleased when he was hired.  The Dayton teams he had moved the ball on O, and were tough on D.  So that tells you he either forgot how to coach....or the players are not fitting into his system?  Personally, i think we are a typical soft Crean team....Juwan is the only "i am going to eat your lunch" guy.  It just seems like Archie is trying to teach a fish to climb a tree

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something I've noticed that seems to be a pattern is romeo not getting many or any touches early.  During this time there are a couple other guys taking poor shots or wild runners. Makes me think they are trying to do what romeo can but aren't talented enough to finish the way romeo does.  

It just seems the team chemistry is not right at this time. 

Team chemistry is definitely not right,thats obvious

hoosierJax , I got to say that Dad thing with Justin Smith bothers me. If Dad is barking on a post you know he is in the ear of his son. His son has great potential, he needs to let the coach bring that out. That kind of thing can fester into serious issues among teammates! Justin needs to handle his Dad. I had a son that played D1 baseball. I wasn’t happy how he was being treated by his coach. After trying to tell my son what he should tell the coach an what he needed to do. My son said Dad I got this you need to let me alone I can handle my own situation here. He did, stayed four years got a good education and made life long friends an tremendous respect from his fellow teammates . Couldn’t be more proud of him! 

27 minutes ago, hoosierhoosier said:

i wanted Archie at IU, and was pleased when he was hired.  The Dayton teams he had moved the ball on O, and were tough on D.  So that tells you he either forgot how to coach....or the players are not fitting into his system?  Personally, i think we are a typical soft Crean team....Juwan is the only "i am going to eat your lunch" guy.  It just seems like Archie is trying to teach a fish to climb a tree

Or, coaching in the Big Ten is a whole different ballgame compared to coaching in the A10.

34 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I've got some guesses if that's the case, but can you say which ones you're hearing or more in general?

I was at the game on Monday,row 30 and I could see some reaction from players...giving up on plays,turning and shaking  their heads like they were disgusted ,one was during a time out in the huddle,some run back to the bench during a timeout others just kinda walk back....then I talked to a guy this morning that had been in and around Assembled Hall and he was telling me things that I was not surprised to here...not going to call out names but if one pays attention you can pick up what's being put down...I'm not Dr.Phil but once I started looking I could notice things that just don't seem right ...and the Nebraska game showed that..but it's not to late to right the ship...but you don't want to shoot holes in the ship your riding

I am happy with the recruiting CAM has achieved

I am happy with our improved defense

I am unhappy with our offense

I am unhappy with line-up/substitution usage

I am unhappy with player development

Overall i am not happy currently with CAM and IU basketball.  He may be one hell of a recruiter and can sell ice to Eskimo's but i am not happy with how we are playing, player development, and overall team/game management.  Do i think we need to remove him and get someone else?  No, i think he needs more time.  I don't know how the rest of the season is going to go, but if it continues the way it is, we are looking at underachieving.  I hate losing and i hate losing even more when the team on the floor looks to be less bothered by it than I am.

I am not sure where this article came from, but I found on Twitter... if true, it helps to understand that this is a rebuild for Archie, and that Crean was very disinterested and not managing the roster well. ( we could make a decent argument that Crean became disinterested after years of probable abuse by fans?) But this is what is circulating around out there, I apologize for it not being sourced, but I am  at work and this should show you my priorities lol.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mike_idle/status/1085591023433207808/photo/3

32 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I am not sure where this article came from, but I found on Twitter... if true, it helps to understand that this is a rebuild for Archie, and that Crean was very disinterested and not managing the roster well. ( we could make a decent argument that Crean became disinterested after years of probable abuse by fans?) But this is what is circulating around out there, I apologize for it not being sourced, but I am  at work and this should show you my priorities lol.

People aren't going to like this, but this is partly why I really think the 2020-21 season is where Archie is really going to have this program competing. It's inline with what Beilein, Bennet and Wright all did at their schools, and it would be the first almost fully (minus a couple 2018 kids) Archie team. This thought is also assuming Langford is 1 and done.

Look at the potential roster...

Phinisee Jr.

Hunter RS So.

Smith Sr.

Durham Sr.

Forrester Jr

TJD So.

Brooks (hopefully) So.

Franklin So.

Add a strong 2020 class (hello Ethan Morton and a couple others) and that is a heck of a roster. Experienced, talented, long and athletic and some attitude. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

People aren't going to like this, but this is partly why I really think the 2020-21 season is where Archie is really going to have this program competing. It's inline with what Beilein, Bennet and Wright all did at their schools, and it would be the first almost fully (minus a couple 2018 kids) Archie team. This thought is also assuming Langford is 1 and done.

Look at the potential roster...

Phinisee Jr.

Hunter RS So.

Smith Sr.

Durham Sr.

Forrester Jr

TJD So.

Brooks (hopefully) So.

Franklin So.

Add a strong 2020 class (hello Ethan Morton and a couple others) and that is a heck of a roster. Experienced, talented, long and athletic and some attitude. 

Does Smith want to be a 4 year player?

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

I have no doubt that Crean was dis interested. I believe he stay longer then he thought. I think he thought he would be fired sooner because his last two classes had no shooters. For a coach that lived by the three to not recruit shooters tells the story. 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Players buy in or players do not play.

This x 1,000,000.  Archie knows who the whiny a$$es are but yet he still plays them.  If they want to be a cancer or pout because they aren’t playing or scoring as much as they think they should, then bury them on the bench.  I go to every home game and I see exactly what a poster mentioned earlier:  Guys disinterested, not paying attention in the huddle during timeouts, eye rolling, etc.  By not addressing these distractions, Archie is making the problem worse.  Outside of recruiting, Archie has not impressed me in any other area.  Hopefully he will at some point but I am beginning to doubt it...the silver lining to it all may be that Fred will be asked to go too when the time comes....

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

I have no doubt that Crean was dis interested. I believe he stay longer then he thought. I think he thought he would be fired sooner because his last two classes had no shooters. For a coach that lived by the three to not recruit shooters tells the story. 

I’ve heard he was looking for an exit route while still employed. Who knew the job market for coaches who can’t get past the sweet sixteen without Dwayne Wade would be so thin. 

Archived