Purdue Pregame Thread

When: Saturday, 1/19 at 2pm ET on Fox

Vegas: Purdue -7

ESPN: #35 Indiana vs #14 Purdue. 24% chance of IU victory with an expected margin of Purdue +7

KenPom: #32 Indiana vs #13 Purdue. 27% chance of IU victory with an expected score of Purdue 76, IU 69

IU Scouting Report

image.png.1ee7c3dd042b16fea235b93d40891d84.png

image.png.5d0170d7f229728b59554e158dd718cb.png

Purdue Scouting Report

image.png.e997b952dd7554fa43486b44c5c6f466.png

image.png.1ea14cbfdce940daee71b27c485d93d8.png

Contrasting strengths here. Purdue is a much better offensive team by the numbers. They do a great job of not turning the ball over and crashing the offensive glass, meanwhile we are among the lowest in both of those categories. We are toward the bottom in free throw shooting, they are right in the middle at 71%.We excel at 2p shots, they are better from 3p range.

Defensively we have been much better. Purdue is among the worst teams at field goal percentage allowed, while we are among the best. The problem is that Purdue's biggest weakness is giving up the three, and we don't shoot it well enough to take advantage. We have not been good about keeping opponents off the offensive glass, and as one of their key strengths, look for Purdue to take advantage of this. Purdue is also better at turning the other team over, so how we handle the Mackey crowd will go a long way in determining if we have a shot here. Both teams are good about not sending their opponent to the line.

To win, we will need to have a great afternoon shooting the three. We will also need to keep Purdue from getting second chance opportunities while protecting the three point line, not always easy to do with long rebounds. Protecting the ball, as always, will be paramount.

We all know about Carsen Edwards. He is averaging 25 ppg, shooting 43% from the field and 38% from 3. Ryan Cline is averaging 13 ppg and shooting it at 41% from 3. Those are their two big offensive threats that we will need to contain. If they get off from three, it is going to be a long afternoon. No one else averages double figures, and Purdue is not a well-rounded team. They do have size, as Matt Haarms is averaging 59% from the field while Trevion Williams is shooting it at 57%. Trevion Williams is the bigger threat here, as we don't really have someone that can match up with him size-wise. That being said, Grady Eifert is their only player averaging 5 rebounds per game.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone hear their crowd last night on tv?  You would have thought they were playing IU.  It's going to take a monumental turnaround to win this game.  

Pride.  I'm preaching PRIDE all week long if I'm CAM.  Who's going to shut Edwards down?  The blueprint is set.  Force him into shooting a thousand shots on 25%.  Shut down the rest of the team which is completely comprised of role players.  They are far more one dimensional than we are 2 dimensional offensively.  They will frustrate the heck out of us defensively if we are slow to move the ball and indecisive.  

Attack attack attack.  I don't think they could stop this team athletically.  

Big game for us. I hope we show up from the tip, will dictate the rest of the Purdue game but also may give a sneak peak for our toughness for the rest of the way this year too. Show up big on Saturday? That shows so much grit against your in state rival on the road in the face of adversity...especially when this season is at a crossroads. Don't show up Saturday? Well, not good in short...

If there are serious chemistry issues and by watching the games it seems like it is a good possibility then I am concerned we may get embarrassed Saturday at Mackey. Think Scott margin maybe right. I sure hope not because if we can't get fired up for Purdue  it's going to be very frustrating for some.

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Rival games are always tough to call.  Even if we're really bad and have played like crap and on a losing streak, we could get up for the game and play above our station.  Then again, we could come out flat like we always do and start off 20 down

Outside of maybe Phinisee and McBob, I doubt any of the players give a damn about this rivalry.  Which is a shame, because you know Purdue is going to bring it.  Will be surprised to see anything other than a total beatdown on Saturday.

This is a winnable game.  Purdue is a fairly inconsequential team this year.  We know it, they know it, everyone knows it.  

But after the last three games, I see IU getting blown out.  Other than Romeo and Juwan, I can't see these guys suddenly having the mental toughness or composure to play with all the irrational vitriol in the crowd.  You need to play stable basketball and we just don't have that.

It would take a monumental turnaround to be even competitive here.  

Unlike investing, in sports past performance is a darn good (not perfect) indicator of future success.  There is nothing to suggest IU has the mental toughness or effort or, in some cases, will give enough of a crap to win this game.  

I think some people are channeling their inner Lou Holtz for goodness sakes its the flipping Toiletmakers not the Harlem Globetrotters, the same team we all made fun of as NIT bound at best.  Playing on the moon they are not 20 points better than us. Our players will respond and it will be a close game 1 way or the other. I would absolutely shocked dismayed and utterly disappointed if this is a blowout by them. 

Archived