Purdue Post Game Thread

20 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

A lot of us think that is what he is doing.  I like the recruits he has gotten so far and I like his style of play. I think that it will be successful in the medium and long run.

I think I've said this elsewhere,  and I hope he proves me wrong,  but his defensive philosophy still seems suspect to me because it gives up too many good looks from "3",  and his offensive philosophy doesn't stress the 3 enough, nor does it stress the "mid-range"  which actually may be more important. If you can hit a 10-foot pullup jumper in the lane, suddenly  the defense can't guard anything.  Look at what Watson did to us against Nebraska. Of  course I've never coached at the high school or college level,  so  I could be crazy. Hope I am.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What is bad is that we have needed others to step up and today Smith especially early and Durham had good games.  If we could have gotten a normal game from Romeo we would have been in this game.  I did not realize it but Durham had 8 points, 4 asst and 4 rebounds.

We were in this game....the FT line killed us.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Justin led the way with 15 points.  Finally showing the kind of game I knew he was capable of.

I was impressed. He has a smooth style about him. I like it. It would be nice if he could get his 3 point % up a bit.

We're not a good shooting team, but we're no where near as bad as we looked today. If we shoot 65% from the line, which is still pretty bad, and 35% from 3, which is still pretty bad (especially given all the open looks we had), then the game is tied. Throw in some terrible calls (the no call on Romeo being hit from behind in the first half, the phantom call on Smith at the top of the key that sparked there first half run, and the no call on one of the more obvious goal tendings I have seen in a while) and we win. I've never been on the Archie bandwagon, but he put us in a place to win. 

Stats to ponder: 

• McRoberts: 0-4 from three point range today....3/17 on the year....and 35% from the field. Anybody wanting him to shoot more to keep defenses honest may want to reconsider than line of thought. 
  • Morgan/Langford 1/9 from the free throw line today. Our team was 7/18. We're 66% on the year....ranked #290 in the nation. Tough to win with these types of numbers. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

"'sactly"  Justin led the way with 15 points.  Finally showing the kind of game I knew he was capable of.

I was encouraged by his performance. He looks like he was finally being aggressive around the rim and using that leaping ability to throw the ball down. If there's been one bright spot this year, it has been his development after a rough start to the season. 

That said, the turnover bug bit him again today. He ended up with 4. This was his sixth game of the year with 3+ TO's. He's currently the a couple turnovers behind Langford for the team lead on the year, despite not handling the ball nearly as much. And to be fair, Romeo had his own turnover issues today (his seventh game with 3+). 

5 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

I was encouraged by his performance. He looks like he was finally being aggressive around the rim and using that leaping ability to throw the ball down. If there's been one bright spot this year, it has been his development after a rough start to the season. 

That said, the turnover bug bit him again today. He ended up with 4. This was his sixth game of the year with 3+ TO's. He's currently the a couple turnovers behind Langford for the team lead on the year, despite not handling the ball nearly as much. And to be fair, Romeo had his own turnover issues today (his seventh game with 3+). 

At least one that I remember was not his fault. It was a delayed fast break in the second half, Romeo (I think it was him) got into the lane, but there were 4 (maybe even 5) Purdue defenders in the paint. He should have pulled the ball out, instead he dumped it down to Smith who absolutely no where to go with it. 

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I was stupid because I ventured over to rivals and I should't have because it is in melt down mode

That board is a better representation of the Hoosier fan base than this one.  Archie is already losing a lot of support.  We just have to hope he turns this around.  If we miss the dance it will do to Archie what the Syracuse loss did to Tom Crean.  He's going to lose at least half the fan base and he's never getting them back without a banner or multiple FFs.  I assure you.  It's hard to have a successful program if half the fan base wants the coach fired.  We're slowly heading in that direction.

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/indiana-losers.178654/

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/archie-tom-crean.178656/

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That board is a better representation of the Hoosier fan base than this one.  Archie is already losing a lot of support.  We just have to hope he turns this around.  If we miss the dance it will do to Archie what the Syracuse loss did to Tom Crean.  He's going to lose at least half the fan base and he's never getting them back without a banner or multiple FFs.  I assure you.  It's hard to have a successful program if half the fan base wants the coach fired.  We're slowly heading in that direction.

If the fan base is headed there after a year and a half, we have  the most stupid fan base in the country.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That is not a better representation.  You just think that because you spend most of your time over there and believe most of the same crap.  MOST people are level headed and are willing to see how things shake out given some time.:nansplit::jumprope:

Archived