Purdue Post Game Thread

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

What did he do that impressed you?  He didn’t even score and got lost on D numerous times.  I’m not bashing the kid and have repeatedly said I love his potential.  You just can’t play someone who doesn’t know the system very much.

I’ll take a Freshman with potential (not to mention an offensive game) who plays with energy while learning, over a senior who adds nothing and is so bad the other team doesn’t even guard him

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Isn’t the score the most important stat?

Yes, but I’m asking what he did specifically  to influence the score.  If Jager gets in the game for some reason and Morgan hits 3 threes right in a row without the other team scoring, then Jager gets taken out, his +\- is +9.  Again, +\- can be a deceiving stat.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

ND was an NIT team last year.  I believe they were missing 2 of their starters so no.

At the time we won they were highly ranked.  Later in the season they lost Colson and another starter which lead to their NIT berth.  At the time we beat them, it could have been considered.

2 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I’ll take a Freshman with potential (not to mention an offensive game) who plays with energy while learning, over a senior who adds nothing and is so bad the other team doesn’t even guard him

I see you’re having a hard time coming up with an answer.  :snack:

4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Yes, but I’m asking what he did specifically  to influence the score.  If Jager gets in the game for some reason and Morgan hits 3 threes right in a row without the other team scoring, then Jager gets taken out, his +\- is +9.  Again, +\- can be a deceiving stat.

Well since he’s given a 1/4 of the playing time McRoberts gets its impossible to compare stats. But I felt he brought more athleticism and energy to the team. I also felt he made a very good defense play. I mean if you play me 3/4 of the game I’ll probably have more rebounds than Damezi as well. Let’s just see them both play equal minutes and I think we’d see a big difference in what they bring 

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

It's for this reason that I really hate the plus-minus stat.

8 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Totallly agree.  That's what message boards are all about! 🙂  The death threats, the personal insults, the attacks on anyone that support the player, the attacks on family members...all these things we have seen and have edited and/or banned the posters. Man, you wouldn't believe how grown adults can say the worst things when their team is losing.

That is absolutely ridiculous if people actually get that upset over a stupid basketball game.  If this game makes you so miserable that you threaten peoples lives over a game, that person needs help badly

7 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

What did he do that impressed you?  He didn’t even score and got lost on D numerous times.  I’m not bashing the kid and have repeatedly said I love his potential.  You just can’t play someone who doesn’t know the system very much.

As he played a bit, he got better on D. He played some good D and played with some heart and emotion, which for some here is the most important thing. I’m just tired of losing with the same guys (McBob and Fitz) playing like crap.

1 minute ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Well since he’s given a 1/4 of the playing time McRoberts gets its impossible to compare stats. But I felt he brought more athleticism and energy to the team. I also felt he made a very good defense play. I mean if you play me 3/4 of the game I’ll probably have more rebounds than Dmaezi as well. Let’s just see them both play equal minutes and I think we’d see a big difference in what they bring 

I like Damezi, but there's no way he deserves more playing time than McRoberts.

I keep seeing people talking about Damezi and the plus-minus for him, but I think the real causation for that correlation is that the team moved the ball a whole lot better when Romeo was benched.

Just now, Hoosrnight said:

As he played a bit, he got better on D. He played some good D and played with some heart and emotion, which for some here is the most important thing. I’m just tired of losing with the same guys (McBob and Fitz) playing like crap.

Exactly. Why change anything. It’s all working out so well. 

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It's for this reason that I really hate the plus-minus stat.

It’s not that I hate it, but for some to consider it the end-all be-all stat is a little shortsighted imo.  It can give a glimpse of what happened during the time the player was in the court, but it doesn’t gauge how the player played during that time.

16 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

If a kid doesn't he want to go play for a school because of something an anonymous person said on a message board his parents should have a talk with him.  I'm not one of those people, trust me. 

It wasnt politics, it's a fact.  It has nothing to do with party.  Since the social media age, our president, regardless of party, is attacked by morons on social media.  Just pointing out nobody is above petty, immature criticism.

Did you not see my post in the Keion Brooks thread over at the recruiting board.  After the Nebraska game Arman franklin's mom tweeted that she has to learn to get thicker skin next year because of the tweets she saw from fans.  Then Keion brooks mother replied that they are showing no mercy so it is just not the players looking at these tweets.

Just now, rogue3542 said:

I like Damezi, but there's no way he deserves more playing time than McRoberts.

I keep seeing people talking about Damezi and the plus-minus for him, but I think the real causation for that correlation is that the team moved the ball a whole lot better when Romeo was benched.

Why? We are playing four vs five with McRoberts on the floor. What does he add? 

3 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Fortunately we edit a lot of the attacks out.  I have pretty thick skin but even I shudder as a parent on what some people have posted about our players.  

Because of this,....is why I rarely post during a game. I know it is a free message board which encourages personal comments and opinions, but good grief! It seems like most of these negative, knee jerk comments are from either new posters that we have never seen or ones that mostly post when things are bad. I know many of us on here feel the pain and frustration of IU's continued struggles. This is our team, our players and our school. We all take offense when others degrade players, coaches and the university. Everyone from the team managers to Archie are looking for answers.

This team needs something positive to get them going and sometimes that comes with a loss. I gonna give my game ball to Justin Smith. Without him we loose by 20+. He played his best game of the year.

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

Fellow IU fans. We have got to stop living in the past or we will be stuck in this pile of memories until no one remembers or cares about IU basketball. Archie just needs to understand what Indiana is all about and recruit to that and go play. 

A lot of us think that is what he is doing.  I like the recruits he has gotten so far and I like his style of play. I think that it will be successful in the medium and long run.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

These are my takes....

1)  I think the fellas played with heart.

2)  The charity stripe really hurt them.  Seems like this a team issue.

3)  Mackey is a tough place to play if you are IU

4)  I still want to punch Haarms in the face.

With that being said there are so many things I don't understand about Archie.  You are down double digits with 8 to go and your guys are attacking the paint?  Why no press?  Why weren't guys shooting 3's?  What is with the substitution pattern?  Why is McBob even out there?  

This ain't Dayton.  This ain't the A-10.

JSMH

You make good points as always Rico. For point 3, I would change that to say Mackey is a tough place to play for anybody. Is it moreso for IU because of the rivalry game? Absolutely. But it was hard as hell for Rutgers the other night and the rest of the conference too. 

Just now, Colonialcrester said:

A lot of us think that is what he is doing.  I like the recruits he has gotten so far and I like his style of play. I think that it will be successful in the medium and long run.

And I hope you are right. I really do. But this latest stretch isn’t good enough. It just isn’t. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did you not see y post in the Keion Brooks thread over at the recruiting board.  After the Nebraska game Arman franklin's mom tweeted that see has to learn to get thicker ski next year because of the tweets she saw from fans.  Then Keion brooks mother replied that they are showing no mercy so it is just not the players looking at these tweets.

Exactly.  Go over to the Memphis board...Oh, you can't find it. 🙂 Nobody there is saying these things...as a parent maybe that will affect where you want your kid to go.  The kid may not mind it but the parent will.

Archived