NCAA Tournament Metrics

At the risk of the team falling flat and missing the tournament, I'm going to try to update this topic on a weekly basis with the metrics that the NCAA selection committee will be able to use to select the field. As a refresher, here are those metrics:

Here is where we currently rate:

• NET: 29 (not updated through Purdue game)
  • KenPom: 36
  • KPI: 47
  • ESPN SOR: 33
  • ESPN BPI: 37
  • Sagarin: 25

The six scores average out to a score of 35. This would put us as a 9 seed in the tournament.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

that could float anywhere from a 10 seed up to a 8 seed depending on how they want to match us up or how well we play down the stretch

And a lot of the CT's have something to do with it as well.  Take Nevada, for example, they are entrenched as a tournament team.  What happens if they don't win their conference tournament?  Same could be said for Gonzaga.  Some of this stuff affects other team's seeding.  Let's say IU finishes the B1G 10-10, but yet wins the CT.  Lots of variables.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Gotcha, but there are also other variables involved.

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

that could float anywhere from a 10 seed up to a 8 seed depending on how they want to match us up or how well we play down the stretch

Yes...I'm just estimating. Obviously the committee won't just average these metrics and then seed the field.

7 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yes...I'm just estimating. Obviously the committee won't just average these metrics and then seed the field.

Nothing wrong with that.  I always think of that 00-01 team that was on again, off again.  Then they got hot at the tail end.  But there is no way they deserved a 4 seed.  Variables!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Here is where we currently rate:

• NET: 42
  • KenPom: 44
  • KPI: 53
  • ESPN SOR: 40
  • ESPN BPI: 40
  • Sagarin: 35

The six scores average out to a score of 42. This would put us as a 10-11 seed in the tournament.

Archived