Northwestern Pregame Thread

When: Tuesday, January 22nd at 9pm ET on BTN

Vegas: NW -1

ESPN: #37 Indiana vs #48 Northwestern. 44% chance of IU victory with an expected margin of NW +1

KenPom: #36 Indiana vs #59 Northwestern. 49% chance of IU victory with an expected final score of NW 67, IU 66

IU Scouting Report

image.png.0fba47dc1a2ff8305dbdf4e7f5a87544.png

image.png.4680f03e2c9e4f68b1252cd3e45698df.png

Northwestern Scouting Report

image.png.6d20aadbc06f0779f79e92b0d2b17383.png

image.png.0b22c65ac2e0b11b07f52e884989f8d1.png

Overall for the season, we have better efficiency ratings on both offense and defense. But both teams are mediocre or toward the bottom in both just taking B1G games into account. We are 11th offensively, Northwestern is 13th. We are 9th defensively, Northwestern is 7th.

Northwestern has been pretty bad offensively. They are 228th in the country in field goal %, and 12th in B1G games. They are also not a good offensive rebounding team. They do take care of the basketball, fifth in the conference in turnover %, 73rd in the country. They shoot free throws at a good percentage.

Our shooting percentage, which looked good in non-conference, has taken a hit in B1G play as teams have found the blueprint to beat us. We are just 8th in the conference in shooting %. We are toward the bottom in the conference in both turnovers and offensive rebounds. We are 13th in 3p shooting percentage and 4th in 2p %, so the threes are really bringing our shooting numbers down.

Defensively, Northwestern is the second best team in the B1G in defending the 3 (11th in the nation overall), so don't look for our 3 point shooting to suddenly improve on Tuesday night. It will likely be more of the same. The good thing for us is that they are dead last in conference play in defending two point shots, so hopefully Juwan, Romeo and Justin can take advantage in the paint. They also aren't turning the other team over very much, 10th in the conference.

For us,  in conference we are actually doing a good job defending the 3 (3rd in conference) but we are getting abused down low with our lack of size (11th in the conference). Also due most likely to our size, we are getting crushed giving up second chance points, 12th in the conference. We also aren't forcing turnovers.

Luckily for us, Northwestern doesn't have the strengths to take advantage of our weaknesses. They can't shoot the ball and don't get offensive rebounds.Who wins the rebounding battle will go a long way in deciding who wins this game. We also need to keep them off the free throw line. Offensively, we need to stick with what's been working, make shots around the basket. We aren't a good three point shooting team, and if we spend the game trying to make threes, we will struggle. A healthy dose of Juwan and Romeo is what we need, with Justin cleaning up. Northwestern doesn't force a lot of turnovers, so if we can execute our normal game plan, we should be in good shape.

If we can keep Northwestern off the offensive glass and play through Juwan and Romeo, I like our chances.

Vic Law is Northwestern's go to, averaging 17 ppg and shooting 34% from 3. Derek Pardon, who dominated Juwan in our first matchup, is averaging 14 ppg and 8 rpg and shooting 62%. He is only shooting 64% from the line, so we need to send him to the line if we can afford the fouls. Transfer Ryan Taylor is averaging 13 ppg. Taylor takes the majority of their 3s and is shooting it at 36%, so we will need to bottle him up. He went 1-5 from 3 against us in Bloomington, but he missed some good looks.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think keeping Pardon in check will be key. Would like to see a combo of Davis and Moore on him most of the time to ease the burden on Morgan. With the lack of production from McBob and others, I don't understand why we don't play 2 bigs more often to offset our size disadvantage.

See a side by side statistical matchup and the keys to victory.  For us, the biggest key for the Hoosiers is going to be their defense, which is or at least can be the strength of this team -- and NW is not a great FG% team.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-at-northwestern-game-day-essentials-tale-of-the-tape-keys-to-victory/

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Weed for green. Stupid.....

Time for a graduate transfer if he is polluting the team! I know this season has been depressing but couldn't he just knock down some beers instead.or work on his game nawwww just smoke some dope

42 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Predicted Starting Lineup:

1. Phinisee
  2. Durham
  3. Langford
  4. Smith
  5. Morgan

With a healthy dose of McRoberts and spot minutes for Fitzner, Moore, Anderson and maybe DeRon if healthy enough. 

Would prefere to give Damezi and Moore minutes. At this point build for the future. And free Jake

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Until we find out what he did it is good not to speculate but if he misses 3 games that normally means one thing.  If this is the case I would show him the door because he is putting himself above the team.

I'm with you on this Scott.  I know it's socially accepted in a lot of places these days, but it's a rule.   IU has has some bad experiences with this very thing in the past, and, considering how the team is playing right now, if I'm Archie, I'm more than just a little pissed.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm with you on this Scott.  I know it's socially accepted in a lot of places these days, but it's a rule.   IU has has some bad experiences with this very thing in the past, and, considering how the team is playing right now, if I'm Archie, I'm more than just a little pissed.  

I it is not just the act but it shows terrible judgment by a player.  To be a good basketball player you have to show great judgment on the court so you can be trusted.

So can we take away his scholarship or would we be down 1 next year? Does he have to volunteer to transfer in order for us to keep his scholly? Another question...so how long ago did we know this failed test? Did he have to get retested etc? If it was known before the season say maybe that is why we think we might take 4? If Green and Langford gone there is definitely room for another guard. Like Armani but he won’t be ready as a freshman.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So can we take away his scholarship or would we be down 1 next year? Does he have to volunteer to transfer in order for us to keep his scholly? Another question...so how long ago did we know this failed test? Did he have to get retested etc? If it was known before the season say maybe that is why we think we might take 4? If Green and Langford gone there is definitely room for another guard. Like Armani but he won’t be ready as a freshman.

You can Crean him absolutely.  I wouldn't mind it honestly.  I've never been a Green fan.  

Archived