Northwestern Pregame Thread

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So can we take away his scholarship or would we be down 1 next year? Does he have to volunteer to transfer in order for us to keep his scholly? Another question...so how long ago did we know this failed test? Did he have to get retested etc? If it was known before the season say maybe that is why we think we might take 4? If Green and Langford gone there is definitely room for another guard. Like Armani but he won’t be ready as a freshman.

Aren't scholarships awarded on a year-by-year basis?  I think the university can choose not to renew Green's .

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mjeze106 said:

Some of you are suggesting to kick a player off of the team for some weed (early speculation at this point, of course)? Seems a little excessive to me.

If we booted every player that drank underage, we probably wouldn't be able to put 5 out there. Is that different?

The drinking versus weed argument is irrelevant based on the rules that are in -place for college athletes.

2 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

Some of you are suggesting to kick a player off of the team for some weed (early speculation at this point, of course)? Seems a little excessive to me.

If we booted every player that drank underage, we probably wouldn't be able to put 5 out there. Is that different?

You mean, ignoring the obvious that pot is still illegal in Indiana?

4 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

If that was what happen he most definitely needs to be booted because there is no place for that at IU and I don't care how good of a player is.

More than any other reason, if you're Archie, your ultimate decision here has to be what's best for the team and the program.  Not having all of the information, I don't know what that is.  However, this cannot in any way be a situation where it's the minimum punishment and then we act like it never happened.  That's not good for the long term health of the program.  Honestly, the explanation and remorse would have to be very convincing for me to let him stay on the team if I were the coach.

3 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

It just seems to me like we have some folks that are looking for an easy way to get rid of a player they don't necessarily prefer.

It's possible I may be off-base

Well, there's a rational explanation for that.  Players that put team first generally don't get busted breaking rules.  And, players that are team first lead to team success, which makes me happy.  So, yes, I like players that abide by the rules more than I do players that don't. 

5 minutes ago, mjeze106 said:

It just seems to me like we have some folks that are looking for an easy way to get rid of a player they don't necessarily prefer.

It's possible I may be off-base

Yes you are because I don't care which player does this, I feel they should be gone.  Like I said it is just not the weed it is the terrible judgment it shows and that you can't be trusted.

I’m going to stop speculating until we have concrete evidence. I want a clean program....not just for appearances but also for recruiting...good mom and dad aren’t letting their kid go to a school to place them around this stuff. This kid may not have a future in the NBA but by golly I’m not putting my 5* kid around ones that can influence him poorly and get him off track of his NBA future. Lots to consider...but If scholly is earned each year...I have to have good reason to keep a problem player on my roster...especially one that isn’t performing as a leader and upper class man on or off the court.

edit: I’ve always thought scholarship was for 4 years...but maybe others can explain how that all works with revoking etc.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

More than any other reason, if you're Archie, your ultimate decision here has to be what's best for the team and the program.  Not having all of the information, I don't know what that is.  However, this cannot in any way be a situation where it's the minimum punishment and then we act like it never happened.  That's not good for the long term health of the program.  Honestly, the explanation and remorse would have to be very convincing for me to let him stay on the team if I were the coach.

Something we need to remember though as we judge whatever outcome happens, we as fans on a message board have about, maybe if we're being generous, 1% of the available information. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Something we need to remember though as we judge whatever outcome happens, we as fans on a message board have about, maybe if we're being generous, 1% of the available information. 

Withholding my judgment until I know all the facts? No thanks!

Seems like too much work 😎

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely.  One of the major problems with society today is that people jump to conclusions without having all the facts.  We see it in news reports every day.  That said, if this is truly a failed test, then I stand by my position that, unless the explanation and remorse are convincing, Archie needs to show that rules are rules. and breaking them has consequences.  A 3 game suspension really does not do that.

Archived