RIP Jimmy Rayl

Indykev

1 hour ago, snowling said:

I was an eleven year old boy in February,  1959 living in New Castle when the Wildkats made the visit to New Castle's last game at the 1,800 seat Church Street gym and my dad scored 2 last minute tickets for the Kokomo/New Castle game from Dick Wittenbreaker a New Castle 6'2" starting guard on the 1945-46 IU basketball team.  Needless to say they were first row tickets as he was a huge booster.

What I witnessed that night was a fairy tale game which to this day is still considered the greatest two man shootout in the history of Indiana high school basketball if not the entire country.  Keep in mind there was no 3 point line and Rayl considered one of the finest sharpshooters of all time would have probably hung 60 points had that not been the case.

My most vivid recollection was Rayl consistently shooting and making from 25-30 feet.  Pavy was only 5'11" but so much stockier than the 145 lb Rayl and scored mostly inside 18 feet driving to the basket for half his points.

New Castle won the game 91-82 and the NCC championship,  but that was merely a footnote to the main show. Sadly, that was the last game at Church Street before the Trojans moved to Chrysler Fieldhouse.  All i can say is it was never the same.

The memory of that game will forever be ingrained in my mind and I can only tell you that I smile every time I recall that magical night!

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

I was an eleven year old boy in February,  1959 living in New Castle when the Wildkats made the visit to New Castle's last game at the 1,800 seat Church Street gym and my dad scored 2 last minute tickets for the Kokomo/New Castle game from Dick Wittenbreaker a New Castle 6'2" starting guard on the 1945-46 IU basketball team.  Needless to say they were first row tickets as he was a huge booster.

What I witnessed that night was a fairy tale game which to this day is still considered the greatest two man shootout in the history of Indiana high school basketball if not the entire country.  Keep in mind there was no 3 point line and Rayl considered one of the finest sharpshooters of all time would have probably hung 60 points had that not been the case.

My most vivid recollection was Rayl consistently shooting and making from 25-30 feet.  Pavy was only 5'11" but so much stockier than the 145 lb Rayl and scored mostly inside 18 feet driving to the basket for half his points.

New Castle won the game 91-82 and the NCC championship,  but that was merely a footnote to the main show. Sadly, that was the last game at Church Street before the Trojans moved to Chrysler Fieldhouse.  All i can say is it was never the same.

The memory of that game will forever be ingrained in my mind and I can only tell you that I smile every time I recall that magical night!

Awesome story, I bet that was amazing to watch.

1 hour ago, Rogermci said:

Great memory. 

Aside from seeing Jimmy in an IU uni... perhaps the greatest memory I have of him was following his exploits as a prep in Kokomo.  He put his home city for this "Region Rat" on the map for me. 

2024.jpg

Archived