If I were the coach of this team, I would....

it’s gotten to defcon 5 and not sure which way to turn. What productive changes would you make?  For me:

1. I would replay earlier season games to this team and show them what can happen again if they play together and for one another. To me, it’s mostly mental and attitude at this point.

2. I would push the ball. No more half court slow game. We need more shots

Post up Romeo.

Get Juwan some open set threes.  Like 3 a game.  

Slash Smith, all day long to the point his nickname is Slash.  

Figure out the lineups.  No more 3 guys with zero offense together.  

Fitz needs 2 plays run for him every game as heat checks.   I'm talking get him in, get him open, quick touches and get him out.  If he hits a few let him run.  

Sure Demezi goofed the out of bounds play but he played hard and physical.  I say let him get more tick.  He's another one.  If he's going to play, get him open and let him pull.  

Even though we shot 20 threes doesn't mean we didn't pass up 5 that would have been good, rhythm shots.  Instill the confidence in the guys to take the good in rhythm shots.  

Put the ball in Romeo’s hands.  He doesn’t need to bring it up but he should come get it past half court.  

I don’t care if he averages 25 the rest of the way.  The team needs it.  

Green, Phin, and Durham can get loose off the ball for jumpers.  

This would be a win-win.  I’ve been calling for this for awhile.  I think it will work. 

40 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Put the ball in Romeo’s hands.  He doesn’t need to bring it up but he should come get it past half court.  

I don’t care if he averages 25 the rest of the way.  The team needs it.  

Green, Phin, and Durham can get loose off the ball for jumpers.  

This would be a win-win.  I’ve been calling for this for awhile.  I think it will work. 

If Phin were still hurt, I'd definitely agree with Romeo over Green running it. But I think Phin is great with the ball in his hands. Maybe some spot moments with Romeo would still be good to mix it up now and again though.

I've also decided that I would get in Juwan Morgan’s ear and tell him

“this is your team and it’s time to start taking names and holding teammates accountable. This “expression-less” attitude/play is not working for this team. You should be pissed that your final season is slipping away”

1 hour ago, iufaninand said:

I've also decided that I would get in Juwan Morgan’s ear and tell him

“this is your team and it’s time to start taking names and holding teammates accountable. This “expression-less” attitude/play is not working for this team. You should be pissed that your final season is slipping away”

Yep.  Do what Yogi did his senior season and turn this around.  You guaranteed we'd make the dance and have a special year.  Time to man up.  

On 1/20/2019 at 11:38 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Post up Romeo.

Get Juwan some open set threes.  Like 3 a game.  

Slash Smith, all day long to the point his nickname is Slash.  

Figure out the lineups.  No more 3 guys with zero offense together.  

Fitz needs 2 plays run for him every game as heat checks.   I'm talking get him in, get him open, quick touches and get him out.  If he hits a few let him run.  

Sure Demezi goofed the out of bounds play but he played hard and physical.  I say let him get more tick.  He's another one.  If he's going to play, get him open and let him pull.  

Even though we shot 20 threes doesn't mean we didn't pass up 5 that would have been good, rhythm shots.  Instill the confidence in the guys to take the good in rhythm shots.  

Bumping this.  What was successful last night and what still needs work or change?

Romeo can't shoot, why not post him?  

Juwan can shoot why constantly post him against double teams?

Point proven, Smith can't consistently shoot.  

Absolutely horrible stretch around 7 minutes left in 1st half with 3 or 4 guys that have zero offense on the court together.   We posted Moore and he got pushed out to 17 feet.  

Fitz played better overall, wasn't a liability.  Still didn't  get him any shots and the one he did he had to rush.  As Bgleas says, put him in the corner and let him set.  

Demezi just may not be ready but his energy is a boost.  If you play him, he needs stuck in a corner too.  

What else?

The one game we played great was Marquette.  I was curious about the stats, so I refreshed my memory. 

9/20 from three (45%)

17-23 from the free throw line (74%). 

That reinforces the notion that outside shooting, with the concomitant floor spacing, is the critical issue with this team. 

You need not shoot that well, but you should approach it.  And the number of three point shot attempts alone is critical to allow for the requisite floor spacing.

Right now, Romeo cannot shoot and no one else really stretches the floor which makes it difficult for him to operate in the paint.  

It’s the equivalent of a running back trying to run between the tackles against an eight man front with no blocking.

And then Romeo is relegated to low IQ plays, including out of control drives and poor shot selection.  The step back long two is one of the worst plays in basketball.  Scouts will hate that so he needs to clean that up.  He’s going to get drafted on his raw measurables but he will need to be a clean shooter and smarter if he wants to have a good career.  

Eric Gordon never played like this.  Illinois fans basically abused him and his family in Champaign and he kicked their ***.   Would like to see that edge come back with Romeo.

Brooks, TJD and Franklin are not pure shooters. I’d swap out a couple of other roster spots to get shooters in here, ideally one at the four and one at the two.  And I mean legit shooters who will give Keion and others room to operate in the paint.   The coaching staff needs to put on its big boy pants and upgrade.

The fans are not crazy.  You’ve lost five in a row.  That’s kind of a big deal.  Check mate.   

Today's practice, if I'm CAM, all shooting.  Yes nothing but hoisting shots.  This team has to see the ball go through the hoop.  What makes a ball player feel better than scoring?  Few love the steal or assist more, maybe Rodman a rebound,  but scoring gets that ticker going lime scoring.  

I'm doing all business full court drills to get this team running and making some layups, then transition quick hit jumpers,  everyone races down to get in a position to offensive rebound.  

At one point in the second half I looked and we were 2 of 12 from three and 4 of 10 from free throw.  Down 13.  Had that been 4 of 12 and 6 of 10, that's a 5 point game after going down 17-0.  

If confidence, not internal issues are the problem, this team needs to see the ball go in the hoop.  These kids aren't wired like us tough skinned Knight generations.  They need offensive success.  It's just the way it is.  

I think if I were the coach after the game last night I would have told the players to take this weekend off of all basketball activities.  I would tell them to take the weekend and ask themselves if they want to be part of this team and be one of the reasons we turn this season around.  I would tell them to come back Monday ready to compete for a spot in the rotation because nothing is guaranteed to anyone.  If they don't like this then they will not see the floor or your spot on the roster is no longer guaranteed.

Archived