This will probably not be a popluar opinion

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

Newspapers, yes.  Radio, no.

If you are talking about local radio back in the 80's and 90's yes radio was local as well.  Also you mentioned about UCLA an UK making these stupid comments does not mean that is is alright for us to do the same thing.  Since both of those schools paid players in the past should IU do it as well since everyone is doing it.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Who said any of those things?  Listen, there were a lot of people that were critical of Knight going back to 1976.  It was said and talked about in print and on the radio.  You seem to live under a rock.  The UCLA fan base was all over Alford.  The UK fan base was all over their players.  The West Virginia fan base has been on edge all year.  You need more examples?  Check with Kansas.  

Yeah, I don’t wanna hear anything about IU fans being unreasonable.

A6E0A36D-20F8-4F58-B973-BBB1C560C47E.jpeg

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If you are talking about local radio back in the 80's and 90's yes radio was local as well.  Also you mentioned about UCLA an UK making these stupid comments does not mean that is is alright for us to do the same thing.  Since both of those schools paid players in the past should IU do it as well since everyone is doing it.

Two stations I listened to were damn near national.  WOWO and WLW.  You are grabbing for straws.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No, but at least back in my day people communicated face to face and not behind a keyboard and being an internet tough guy.

Obviously I was just kidding and think that you and others put way too much stock into fan backlash via social media.  I'm not a social media advocate and do not have social media apps myself, but unfortunately it's just the way it is now days.  If it bothers kids so much, no one would commit to the UK's, UNC's, etc of the world.  As I've said and Rico said, EVERY fan base has lunatics.  The bigger, more storied your program, the larger your fan base is, which in turn means you have a larger crazy pool to pull from.  We are just closer to the situation, so we think it's worse here, but I would venture to say that we're not disproportionately represented compared to other programs. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am done because we will never agree on this topic

The times are what they are Bro....you seem to have a hard time dealing with them and I am older than you.  The internet is here to stay, just like sites like HSN.  People will speak what is on their minds.  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

The times are what they are Bro....you seem to have a hard time dealing with them and I am older than you.  The internet is here to stay, just like sites like HSN.  People will speak what is on their minds.  

I get things has changed and I am not against social media at all but just think our fan base needs to take a look at it self and stop taking things to a personal level when talking about players and coaches.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I get things has changed and I am not against social media at all but just think our fan base needs to take a look at it self and stop taking things to a personal level when talking about players and coaches.

Once again, who has made it personal?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Once again, who has made it personal?

On Twitter which I am not part of but going on what the guys on Assembly Call was talking about.  You don't think this fan base made it personal when talking about Crean and Davis through the years because Davis got Death threats and racially motivated letters.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On Twitter which I am not part of but going on what the guys on Assembly Call was talking about.  You don't think this fan base made it personal when talking about Crean and Davis through the years because Davis got Death threats and racially motivated letters.

I no nothing about Twitter......I took your OP as you calling out fans on this site.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I no nothing about Twitter......I took your OP as you calling out fans on this site.

My second post said this was not about people on this board but just the fans in general.  this board is the best board to come to if you want to have a rational discussion about IU basketball.  I guess some people were saying that certain players should have their scholarship revoked and was not good enough to play at IU.  Also going by the fact that Arman Franklin's mom thought see had to comment on Twitter after the NEB game saying she has to learn to have thicker skin next year.  Then Keion Brook's mom responded to that post about the fans being brutal.

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

“IU fans expect to make the tournament with only two all-conference players and a bunch of other 3-4 star recruits?  Wow, what a bunch of nutjobs.  No coach in the history of college basketball could win with those scrubs, they need to get real.”

I think this is a really interesting part of the discussion...

We clearly have two GREAT players. Going into the season I thought that the roster around them would be able to take full advantage of the attention given to Romeo and Juwan and contribute more than enough to have a good team....Then of course we have struggled mightily with injuries and confidence (only one of those issues is related to coaching)...

If there had been no injuries this year, I think that the most likely starting lineup at this point would be 3 Freshmen, 1 Sophomore, and 1 Senior.

1) Phinisee 2) Langford 3) Hunter 4) Smith 5) Morgan

Startling youth but a lot of talent...I think in that scenario the first three off the bench would be 1 Sophomore (Al Durham) and 2 Juniors (Green and Davis) then after that group would be a redshirt Freshmen a walk on senior and a graduate transfer senior...finally two more freshmen and a sophomore...

I could be wrong about the minutes distribution but if I'm close that means that this team would have been playing Four Freshmen and two sophomores in the top of its rotation...

The roster has talent, but not blow you away talent that doesn't also need experience or health...and we don't have health or much experience

• 5 stars --> Romeo
  • 4 stars --> Juwan Morgan, Jerome Hunter**, Race Thompson**, Deron Davis*, Justin Smith
  • High 3 stars/Low 4 Stars --> Robert Phinisee*, Damezi Anderson
  • 3 stars to low 3 stars --> Devonte Green* (ranked 197), Jake Forrester* (ranked 148), Al Durham* (ranked 230), Clifton Moore (ranked 151), Evan Fitzner (ranked 290th)
  • not ranked --> McRoberts*
  • (**out for the year for injury, *Play and development hampered by injury, missed time for injury)

Where has the coaching staff left some to be desired?    I'd say 1) the lack of confidence for Green and Smith 2) Maybe Dameezi Anderson not being a little further along and 3) maybe not finding a way to utilize Fitzner more effectively (an argument could be made for finding more wrinkles for Romeo)

Where has the coaching staff succeeded? development of Al Durham and prep of Robert Phinisee, the usage and development of Morgan...

Maybe Snow was right about our roster in his recent article...

Well I say you are both right.  

Big boy schools have big boy fans.  UK, UCLA, KANSAS, DUKE and UNC, all have the same kind of fans we do.  We all have several banners hanging from the rafters. We all expect to be ranked and do well in the tournament. It’s INDIANA, it’s INDIANA! 

On the other side with the today world, social media is available to everyone at any time.  Back in the old days by the time fans vented, it might be a day or two before it was discussed on radio or newspaper.  Fans had time to cool down..  Let’s face it, kids now days are more sensitive..  Could fans be running off recruits and coaches? Yes they could. I don’t want to lose any recruits due to this, but if the players and families are to sensitive or weak minded to handle a little pressure.  I’m not sure they were right for us anyway.  That goes for coaches too.  When a coach or player committs to IU , they know what it means.  Indiana is a basketball state and we take pride in winning.

14 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I think this is a really interesting part of the discussion...

We clearly have two GREAT players. Going into the season I thought that the roster around them would be able to take full advantage of the attention given to Romeo and Juwan and contribute more than enough to have a good team....Then of course we have struggled mightily with injuries and confidence (only one of those issues is related to coaching)...

If there had been no injuries this year, I think that the most likely starting lineup at this point would be 3 Freshmen, 1 Sophomore, and 1 Senior.

1) Phinisee 2) Langford 3) Hunter 4) Smith 5) Morgan

Startling youth but a lot of talent...I think in that scenario the first three off the bench would be 1 Sophomore (Al Durham) and 2 Juniors (Green and Davis) then after that group would be a redshirt Freshmen a walk on senior and a graduate transfer senior...finally two more freshmen and a sophomore...

I could be wrong about the minutes distribution but if I'm close that means that this team would have been playing Four Freshmen and two sophomores in the top of its rotation...

The roster has talent, but not blow you away talent that doesn't also need experience or health...and we don't have health or much experience

• 5 stars --> Romeo
  • 4 stars --> Juwan Morgan, Jerome Hunter**, Race Thompson**, Deron Davis*, Justin Smith
  • High 3 stars/Low 4 Stars --> Robert Phinisee*, Damezi Anderson
  • 3 stars to low 3 stars --> Devonte Green* (ranked 197), Jake Forrester* (ranked 148), Al Durham* (ranked 230), Clifton Moore (ranked 151), Evan Fitzner (ranked 290th)
  • not ranked --> McRoberts*
  • (**out for the year for injury, *Play and development hampered by injury, missed time for injury)

Where has the coaching staff left some to be desired?    I'd say 1) the lack of confidence for Green and Smith 2) Maybe Dameezi Anderson not being a little further along and 3) maybe not finding a way to utilize Fitzner more effectively (an argument could be made for finding more wrinkles for Romeo)

Where has the coaching staff succeeded? development of Al Durham and prep of Robert Phinisee, the usage and development of Morgan...

Maybe Snow was right about our roster in his recent article...

I just disagree that a rotation of Phinisee, Langford, Green, Smith, Morgan, Durham, Fitzner, Moore, Anderson, and Forrester, with admittedly limited contributions from Davis and McRoberts due to injury, isn’t enough to be safely in the tournament.   There’s more than enough talent (and yes, shooting) available on the roster to be much more competitive than we are right now.

Archived