Name your favorite all time college BB nickname

Inspired by the recent passing of:

"The Splendid Splinter"...... Jimmy Rayl.

Then there was...

"The Big O".... Oscar Roberston.

How's about :

"The Hick from French Lick" ..... Larry Bird.

Not to be left out :

"Pistol Pete".... Pete Maravich.

Recently :

"Priller, the Thriller "

And let's not forget "

"Wilt the Stilt ".... Wilt Chamberlain.

HSN. What's your favorite college BB nickname of all time ?  Any of the above. ?  And feel free to add any, of your own... IU or other schools as well. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this was not an individual nickname but a team nickname. Phi Slamma Jamma was a pretty cool one.  I guess Louisville had the predecessor.  Weren't they known as the Doctor's of Dunk when they won it with Darrell Griffith. 

I don't know if any of the following were my favorites over what has been posted.

There were those little guys.  Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues and Yogi Ferrell. 

Some may think the Big O was for Oliver Miller. Another big guy was Big Country Reeves. 

Magic might be the most famous nickname of all time.  

5 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Well this was not an individual nickname but a team nickname. Phi Slamma Jamma was a pretty cool one.  I guess Louisville had the predecessor.  Weren't they known as the Doctor's of Dunk when they won it with Darrell Griffith. 

I don't know if any of the following were my favorites over what has been posted.

There were those little guys.  Spud Webb, Muggsy Bogues and Yogi Ferrell. 

Some may think the Big O was for Oliver Miller. Another big guy was Big Country Reeves. 

Magic might be the most famous nickname of all time.  

Good ones !  Thanks for contributing.

Never thought about team nicknames.  My all time favorite :  "Hurryin Hoosiers."

Your mention of the little guys, brought to mind a little guy from Indiana who played alongside "Skywalker" David Thompson at North Carolina State. 

25 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Did Dick Vitale give Knight that nickname? Maybe Sports Illustrated? I just wonder where it started. Sometime in the  mid-80's I guess. I don't remember anyone referring to Knight as "the general' before 1987 or so.

I have always attributed the nickname, "The General" to Dukie V. 

Archived