What’d he do? Devonte Green

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

I guess the question is: why not?

A majority of the team is under the age of 21, hypothetically, if they are caught drinking, aren’t they automatically suspended?

No, and there are several example of this in IU's past.  Now I don't know what Archie's specific team rule is on this.  But weed is against NCAA rules....drinking is not.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

A ( true fan ) stays a fan of their chosen school regardless of their behavier away from the playing. floor , imho ! We may not approve of that behavior but a true fan sticks with his chosen school and Hopes that that behavior is corrected and ceases , imho ??

That's what got Alford in trouble in Iowa, him supporting one of his guys has not done him any favors and cost him any chance of being the coach at IU.  I have more respect for DD for kicking the trouble off the team than for SA for his support of Pierce

18 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Doesn’t excuse the behavior. Until the law is changed, it’s still the law. 

As with every other basketball program in the Country, these issues are handled as "violation of team rules," not as criminal matters. Obviously, no one is being prosecuted. Same situation as it was for Troy, et al.

5 hours ago, jefftheref said:

So if a player shoots someone, rapes someone or beats the crap out of someone you would stick with them hoping to correct behavior? I think not!

I think we can all agree this has nothing to do with Green's situation and is an entirely different situation which no one, including HTD, was referring to.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:21 AM, rico said:

No, and there are several example of this in IU's past.  Now I don't know what Archie's specific team rule is on this.  But weed is against NCAA rules....drinking is not.

The argument that has been perpetuated in this thread is that he is suspended for smoking weed because it is illegal. The point I was making is that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drink alcohol. It’s not somehow legal until they are drunk, drive or do something stupid, it’s illegal, period.

This gets glossed over all too often, especially when it enters into a discussion about marijuana. BTW, there’s gonna be some reckoning to be done because weed is going to be legal all across this country in the next 5-7 years.

Isn’t breaking the law, any law, against NCAA rules?

14 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

The argument that has been perpetuated in this thread is that he is suspended for smoking weed is illegal. The point I was making is that it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to drink alcohol. It’s not somehow legal until they are drunk, drive or do something stupid, it’s illegal, period.

This gets glossed over all too often, especially when it enters into a discussion about marijuana. BTW, there’s gonna be some reckoning to be done because weed is going to be legal all across this country in the next 5-7 years.

Isn’t breaking the law, any law, against NCAA rules?

It goes by team rules, University rules, and NCAA rules.  Probably in that order.  

Alcohol is a legal substance, but you got to be 21 to consume it.  Weed is illegal period.  

Not disagreeing with anything you said there...but they are looked at differently.  I don't make the rules.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

It goes by team rules, University rules, and NCAA rules.  Probably in that order.  

Alcohol is a legal substance, but you got to be 21 to consume it.  Weed is illegal period.  

Not disagreeing with anything you said there...but they are looked at differently.  I don't make the rules.

Came of age in college in the free spirited early 70's in a school that had a ratio of 12 guys to 1 girl. Drinking was a given, and unlike Clinton I inhaled. We would have gone insane otherwise! Still I am not a proponent of illegal consumption, just understand that when young people get out from under parental control they are going to experiment. Have to say I am disappointed in DG but not totally surprised, and am definitely NOT going to judge him!

18 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

So I've heard two rumors. One he smoked weed and the second he's gone for good. I can't believe both are true if it was a first time offense. Or did he do something much worse? Or was the pot smoking part of a culimination of rules he was breaking?

Since they announced he was suspended I heard this must have been his second violation so that might be why he won't be back

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Things are confusing- Green was on the bench last night.  One would think if he is transferring, or kicked off.....he wouldn't be on the bench. 

I'd say it doesn't preclude him from transferring at the end of the season - he wouldn't be likely to do so early in the semester.  It does, however, refute any suggestion that he's been told he's off the team.

13 hours ago, Muddy River said:

We all wanted Devonte to be more consistent this year, and it seems he has stepped up to the challenge.  He is now making bad decisions both on, AND off the court.  Bravo Devonte.

Personally, I am still rooting for Green to turn it around.  The injury really set him back, and then loosing his starting spot because of it had to be difficult.  Still should play through it.  He is always going to be a player that plays with razzle dazzle- take that out of him, then you take out his game.  He has grit and tenacity I like.  He made a mistake, fix it, grow from it and be a better person first, then basketball player.  Here is to hoping he graduates from IU and has an impactful senior year.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:20 PM, BADGERVOL said:

I’m always going to root for any kid to have second chances so assuming he isn’t a part of the reason this team is supposedly divided I hope this is a one time thing, if he IS a part of any division then use it as a reason to get rid of him or push him out somehow. 

I am with you 100% on giving young men second chances.  Heck, I was even willing to give Sampson a second chance after his speech at his first Midnight Madness.  That is... With the qualification as to what act they committed.  Such as driving drunk, down the wrong way of a street, next to campus, which put people's lives in jeopardy.   However, there remains to be a feeling in part of the IU Unisphere that Devonte, was already on his second chance.  I can't say for sure.  Just from what I have read.  And I have read it more than once, on various venues. 

47 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Picture this. If Green fluffs his fro a bit and goes all gray on the color. grows a little facial hair, tell me he's not a Fred Sanford clone (Red Fox)  

That is interesting. You know there are open source image editing packages out there. You should go to work and show us a side by side of your vision:)

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am with you 100% on giving young men second chances.  Heck, I was even willing to give Sampson a second chance after his speech at his first Midnight Madness.  That is... With the qualification as to what act they committed.  Such as driving drunk, down the wrong way of a street, next to campus, which put people's lives in jeopardy.   However, there remains to be a feeling in part of the IU Unisphere that Devonte, was already on his second chance.  I can't say for sure.  Just from what I have read.  And I have read it more than once, on various venues. 

And all the more reason it’s time to move on. Particularly if you’re trying to set the tone moving forward. I agree with what’s belien said about culture and because of that the most important decisions right now are about what you put up with or allow to continue behavior wise. 

Archived