Northwestern Postgame Thread

Before the life police come along and say you shouldn't take the game that seriously,etc....blah, blah, blah.....I'll just say this. I did something last night I haven't done since Crean's first  few years. I turned the channel off of IU and watched something else. The level of frustration with a couple of these players is unreal. 3-5 and quickly going nowhere. Just not a fun team. 

Sounds like some positives came out of the 2nd half fun but who gives a crap. Nebraska, Northwestern.....have better records vs for how long? Last 20 vs Northwestern? Nebraska since they joined Big 10. I'm tired of kidding ourselves. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, rico said:

This is not sarcasm, if I am gonna lose I want Damezi, Cliff, Jake, and Race on the floor.  Damezi not ready, hell McRoberts aint ready.  Fitz ain't ready.  Archie needs wholesale changes.  Not only in personnel, but his strategy as well.  

Who is your 5th starter?

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before the life police come along and say you shouldn't take the game that seriously,etc....blah, blah, blah.....I'll just say this. I did something last night I haven't done since Crean's first  few years. I turned the channel off of IU and watched something else. The level of frustration with a couple of these players is unreal. 3-5 and quickly going nowhere. Just not a fun team. 

Sounds like some positives came out of the 2nd half fun but who gives a crap. Nebraska, Northwestern.....have better records vs for how long? Last 20 vs Northwestern? Nebraska since they joined Big 10. I'm tired of kidding ourselves. 

I did the same thing. I turn them off then check back from time to time. I don’t know what THE PLAYERS need to do, first hit some shots would help. One thing is when McRoberts get a pass then drives to with in ten feet, has a shot and passes it away as time is running out that a problem. I had a coach 50 years ago tell me if your open from ten feet and don’t shoot . Your no go to me, I’ll bench you. He didn’t care who you were. 

I am just thankful I stayed in the laundry room watching paint dry. First game in a long time that I did not watch, listen or check scores. This team has checked out why should I have more fire in me than the guys wearing the uniform. We have a great offense that works well in the A10. Unless we find someone anyone that can knock down 3's on a consistent level I am not so sure there is a team we can beat.  2 of the top 10 players in the conference and we flat out SUCK.

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am just thankful I stayed in the laundry room watching paint dry. First game in a long time that I did not watch, listen or check scores. This team has checked out why should I have more fire in me than the guys wearing the uniform. We have a great offense that works well in the A10. Unless we find someone anyone that can knock down 3's on a consistent level I am not so sure there is a team we can beat.  2 of the top 10 players in the conference and we flat out SUCK.

My laundry room needs painted.  Are you available during the Michigan game?  

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm to the point where I just don't care anymore.  Years ago an IU loss would ruin my day.  Not anymore.

Brought this up in other thread on fans the other day. When apathy sets in we really have a problem. I'm just getting to the point where I love IU so much it pains me to watch how pathetic and pedestrian a once very, very special program is at.  

Someone should go make a Thomas Paine T-Shirt about IU Hoops...These are the times that try men's (and women's) souls.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Brought this up in other thread on fans the other day. When apathy sets in we really have a problem. I'm just getting to the point where I love IU so much it pains me to watch how pathetic and pedestrian a once very, very special program is at.  

Someone should go make a Thomas Paine T-Shirt about IU Hoops...These are the times that try men's (and women's) souls.

Getting rid of Fred Glass would remove the apathy for a lot of us.  As long as he's around it's only going to get worse IMO.

16 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Getting rid of Fred Glass would remove the apathy for a lot of us.  As long as he's around it's only going to get worse IMO.

I'm trying to hang on right now. Last night we had 9 scholarship players ready to go with 4 freshmen. In normal circumstances I'd say hey this team needs time to grow and develop. Problem is short of 3 seasons since 2002 we've been asked to be patient year after year after frickin year. Just getting empty on patience. 

I made the decision after the Nebraska game that I will not renew my season tickets for next year.  This means no football or baseball tickets either.  It is sad because I have built up a decent amount of points.  My philosophy is that if the players and coaches don’t care, why should I?

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It just hurts. 

Momentum killer #1: smith trying to make a highlight dunk off the inbounds rather than simply putting the ball in the hoop. 

Momentum killer #2: Morgan making a horrible foul WAY out on the perimeter with 4 seconds left on the shot clock. 

I want to ask why they can’t play the whole game with the the effort they showed in the last 5 minutes? And I wish I could say it’s because they don’t have enough heart - this is the easy answer,  but the reality is we only have 5 decent players on this team and no bench. Injuries have killed us and I’m afraid we aren’t going to Recover from it this year. 

It just hurts. 

Agree with #2.

The pass to Smith was high.  He had no choice to stretch for it with one hand to have a shot

12 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Agree with #2.

The pass to Smith was high.  He had no choice to stretch for it with one hand to have a shot

If I'm remembering correctly, we had cut the lead to 3 points when Justin went to the rim on the left baseline and got his shot blocked (along with getting hacked on the arm in the process). Next possession was the missed dunk and the third was either a miss or TO by Smith.  3 missed opportunities when trying to come back were a killer, along with the failure to get stops at the other end.

It seems some people are saying Romeo is not ready for the NBA or projecting hope that he’ll stay for another year - please - for your own sanity - just stop before you rile yourself up and get disappointed this spring when you find out he’s not coming back. 

I understand he’s not shooting the 3 at a high clip, but what we as fans seem to overlook every time we we have an NBA caliber player with a flaw or 2 in his game, is that these guy can develop in the NBA! It’s not like their development stops when they leave college. And Archie sure has not shown he can develop shooters  

Romeo already has all the skills NBA teams want. He’s strong, athletic, can get his own shot, can get to the rim, has an amazing touch around the rim and has a high b-ball IQ. Yes, his 3 needs some work but he has good shooting form - it will fall  

Im more concerned our offense and lack of shooting is disguising how great he can be. Heck, give us ONE legit shooter to spread out the floor and he is that much better. I’m concerned about other high level prospects looking at our offense, lack of spacing, lack of flow and Archie’s inability (so far) to develop shooters and second guessing their interest in our program. Im still pro Archie but it seems like he’s unintentionally cursing shooters’ confidence. Fitzner now. RoJo last year. Free throws in general.  Something is not right and I hope he has a plan to fix it. 

At least we didn't get curb-stomped again. 

Offense was bad as we often had to hurry a shot because of the shot clock.  We're not getting points from the fast break.

Defense not so good.  We let some nobody freshman, who has hardly played this year,  torch us.  For example, I saw McRoberts leave this guy on the strong side to double team another guy who tossed the ball to this nobody freshmen who drained a corner 3.

We couldn't make the big play.  For example, in the midst of our come back we had an out of bounds play and threw Smith a pass for a dunk, but he rimmed it and NW went on a fast break and scored (I think from FT line).

This team is getting hard to watch.

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

If I'm remembering correctly, we had cut the lead to 3 points when Justin went to the rim on the left baseline and got his shot blocked (along with getting hacked on the arm in the process). Next possession was the missed dunk and the third was either a miss or TO by Smith.  3 missed opportunities when trying to come back were a killer, along with the failure to get stops at the other end.

I don't remember all the details, but I do remember a flurry of 'Smith' plays killing the rally.  

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It seems some people are saying Romeo is not ready for the NBA or projecting hope that he’ll stay for another year - please - for your own sanity - just stop before you rile yourself up and get disappointed this spring when you find out he’s not coming back. 

I understand he’s not shooting the 3 at a high clip, but what we as fans seem to overlook every time we we have an NBA caliber player with a flaw or 2 in his game, is that these guy can develop in the NBA! It’s not like their development stops when they leave college. And Archie sure has not shown he can develop shooters  

Romeo already has all the skills NBA teams want. He’s strong, athletic, can get his own shot, can get to the rim, has an amazing touch around the rim and has a high b-ball IQ. Yes, his 3 needs some work but he has good shooting form - it will fall  

Im more concerned our offense and lack of shooting is disguising how great he can be. Heck, give us ONE legit shooter to spread out the floor and he is that much better. I’m concerned about other high level prospects looking at our offense, lack of spacing, lack of flow and Archie’s inability (so far) to develop shooters and second guessing their interest in our program. Im still pro Archie but it seems like he’s unintentionally cursing shooters’ confidence. Fitzner now. RoJo last year. Free throws in general.  Something is not right and I hope he has a plan to fix it. 

Exactly what I have been saying. If we only had 1 guy to make teams worry RL and JM would be 1st team all Big and we would be at the top of the conference standings. We are easy to guard. All we really need is 1 shooter to space the floor. Doesnt even have to hit many shots just being a threat would showcase what Romeo is capable of

8 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Coach said in post game He May start playing Race down the stretch. I guess he may not be redshirting after all.

At this point.....Coach is running out of players and options. The ONLY way coach will burn a red shirt  for Race, is because he thinks he can actually help us down the stretch before this season gets out of reach. There is still time, but...... This team reminds me of a my first muscle car, a '72 Ford Mustang. Under the hood, a 302 V8 with potential. I remember one specific time it was sputtering, popping and powerless. I quickly found the problem,  3 spark plugs "fouled" and I it was only running on 5 cylinders.  I was able to put in 3 new spark plugs and, that quickly, she was running on all 8 cylinders and hummin'. This team is running poorly and "missing out", like a car with fouled spark plugs. Was one of the "fouled" spark plugs Devonte? 

It would be nice to be able to use the "four game minimum" rule,  used by NCAA football. This would help determine if players can actually help a team as a freshmen, giving them four opportunities to show their stock before putting them "up on the shelf" for the season. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The team has not checked out. We had a lot of fight last night. We just simply can't put a full 40 minutes together, and we're no where near good enough to not bring it for 40.

39 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

At this point.....Coach is running out of players and options. The ONLY way coach will burn a red shirt  for Race, is because he thinks he can actually help us down the stretch before this season gets out of reach. There is still time, but...... This team reminds me of a my first muscle car, a '72 Ford Mustang. Under the hood, a 302 V8 with potential. I remember one specific time it was sputtering, popping and powerless. I quickly found the problem,  3 spark plugs "fouled" and I it was only running on 5 cylinders.  I was able to put in 3 new spark plugs and, that quickly, she was running on all 8 cylinders and hummin'. This team is running poorly and "missing out", like a car with fouled spark plugs. Was one of the "fouled" spark plugs Devonte? 

It would be nice to be able to use the "four game minimum" rule,  used by NCAA football. This would help determine if players can actually help a team as a freshmen, giving them four opportunities to show their stock before putting them "up on the shelf" for the season. 

I like the four game rule idea but it should be more than four games.  You could base it on the percentage of regular season games. 4 games in football is like 1/3 their season.  Translating it to basketball would be more like ten games.  

Archived