Northwestern Postgame Thread

27 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

No it really is sickening, I threw up last night during the game.  Probably from the stomach bug but I’m blaming IU basketball.

I was sick last night as well and was coughing up mucus and stayed home from work today but maybe it was watching this team play LOL! 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wanted Marshall as well but how would he have been a safe pick since he hasn't coached at this level either.  The safe pick would have been Bennett who has been able to put UVA in a place to compete for the ACC title every year.

Because his track record proves he's a damn good coach.  He would get the benefit of the doubt if he had a slide like we're in now.  Archie does not.

2 hours ago, rico said:

There are a helluva lot of coaches that succeeded right off the bat....and did it with the former regime's players.  I threw out some names earlier and have in the past.  I am tired of hearing of "their Crean's recruits", tired of hearing "got to get his players", and tired of hearing "he needs time to get his system in place".....the list goes on.  

I want results.  And I want them now.  

My we are becoming a petulant group of basketball dilettantes!

"You may not be pleased with the results, but I am "

--------------------------------------

This discussion for me, is all that is good and bad about basketball in the state of Indiana...... We're talking about getting rid of a coach, just barely halfway into his second year at IU ?

What if ?  What if they got rid of Coach Dale that eventful night ?

Honestly, that's the way I feel right now.

Give the man a chance.

Vote to keep Coach Norman Dale 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

This discussion for me, is all that is good and bad about basketball in the state of Indiana...... We're talking about getting rid of a coach, just barely halfway into his second year at IU ?

Give the man a chance.

I'll bite. 

Who is going to play the role of Jimmy Chitwood?

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Give the man a chance.

I agree. He's still a pretty young coach who's getting his first taste of the big time. This is going to be 3-5 year build. Some guys could do it faster, most guys can't. 90% of those guys were not interested in coming to IU. I believe in Archie. I believe the defense is there and the offense will come. It might not happen this year, but it will come. They need to start having fun again. He definitely needs to loosen up the offense. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Give the man a chance.

Man, I love that movie. Indiana basketball at it's finest. In my opinion Coach Miller deserves the opportunity to cycle through the Crean players and work with the players he recruited. And I agree with the quote you posted. I think there is some chemistry issues on this team and they are from the left over Crean players including the ones Archie had to take when he came in. I am not saying all of the Crean recruits are issues. I think the one that is gone was one of the main ones and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple more creating chemistry problems.
I am not an insider just stating my non-expert opinion. 

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree. He's still a pretty young coach who's getting his first taste of the big time. This is going to be 3-5 year build. Some guys could do it faster, most guys can't. 90% of those guys were not interested in coming to IU. I believe in Archie. I believe the defense is there and the offense will come. It might not happen this year, but it will come. They need to start having fun again. He definitely needs to loosen up the offense. 

I totally disagree with the "most guys can't" line.  How many more examples do I need to give?  IU is a shining example of this.....Bob Knight, Mike Davis, and Kelvin Sampson.  What were those 3 guys records in their first 2 years?  Look it up.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll bite. 

Who is going to play the role of Jimmy Chitwood?

On the premise that there just may be a Jimmy Chitwood on the roster, waiting for the opportunity, I've come up with quotes that some of the players might use in place of Jimmy's famous 

"I'll make it" 

Romeo - "As long as you don't want a 3-pointer"

Justin - "Dad would want me to shoot it"

Rob - "Umm.  I may have used up all my luck against Butler"

Devonte - "I'll smo...errr stroke it coach"

McRoberts - "Ain't no friggen way I'm shooting it"

Fitzner - "Does anyone even know how to set a screen to get me open?"

Al - "I can shoot it, but no one ever seems to want me to"

Jake - "Sorry, but I'm not in the game coach"

Cliff - "What Jake said"

Damezi - "Ditto"

Morgan - What the hell, I do everything else"

35 minutes ago, rico said:

If that was supposed to be funny, it sure as hell wasn't with me.  Meander in your apathy.  

Proposing patience hardly equates to "meandering in apathy."  Quite to the contrary, I will be at the game Fri cheering on the Hoosiers to take out Michigan.  Elated with a win and frustrated with a loss.  In neither case will I be apathetic. 

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Proposing patience hardly equates to "meandering in apathy."  Quite to the contrary, I will be at the game Fri cheering on the Hoosiers to take out Michigan.  Elated with a win and frustrated with a loss.  In neither case will I be apathetic. 

I have been patient for awhile.  Tired of it.  You keep it if that is what works for you.

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just how, exactly do you two plan on holding people accountable? And, unless I am off base here, every fan base wants their teams to be a a top level. I think you guys are just frustrated that it is taking longer than expected for CAM to turn things around, and your constant bitching about it really isn't accomplishing anything. 

I agree with BGleas and have said so myself...it is going to take some time to reverse the results of Crean's last few years at IU. Wringing your hands and demanding for instant results is on you two. You, me, anyone on this board are merely individuals barking up a tree. We can complain all we want, or we can try to not bring the rest of the board down to where we are.

As Rico said, each of us has a choice as to what we bring or don't bring here. If you feel that you need to hold someone accountable, or do something to show that you aren't going to accept where the program is right now.....then stop following the team. Don't post here. Don't spend one more dime on tickets, gear, or whatever. Take some constructive steps if you feel the need. 

I hope you both feel better for venting, but don't think anything you are complaining about will change one thing.

What are you so butt hurt here?  Not once did I attack Archie or the team.  I get where the team is at and I agree we have to be patient though i am obviously not happen with the product on the court right now.  But it is 100% ok to question the road that led us here and question if the ship is being steered correctly at the top.  I still have my season tickets, I still donate, you have no place to tell me how to feel or think just as much as I have no place to tell you.

4 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I know.

Just to be clear I posted this to prove a point.  Instead of coming back at me with a reasonable argument I am questioned that I know nothing, as if this poster magically does.  I don’t need to say or prove anything when it comes to the information I have built up with decades of talking to former players and families from various sports teams coaching staffs.  I just figured this response was better than just calling him out for the reverse.  He doesn’t know jack and I am willing to bet less than I.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's been a HC for 20 seasons.  He's won his conference 11 times.  He finished 2nd 6 times.  That's pretty incredible to me and I don't see how anyone could ever question his coaching.  He can flat out coach.  

Well he's not going to finish first or second this year...looks like the basement for him

Just now, HoosierJax said:

Well he's not going to finish first or second this year...looks like the basement for him

That's kind of my point.  He'll get the benefit of the doubt from the fans as he should.  That's why I wanted a proven commodity.  Archie just isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.  As our fan base gets restless recruiting will get even harder.  Our rivals are already talking about who they think we'll hire to replace Archie.  Marshall would have gotten a much longer leash from the fans.

8 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

What are you so butt hurt here?  Not once did I attack Archie or the team.  I get where the team is at and I agree we have to be patient though i am obviously not happen with the product on the court right now.  But it is 100% ok to question the road that led us here and question if the ship is being steered correctly at the top.  I still have my season tickets, I still donate, you have no place to tell me how to feel or think just as much as I have no place to tell you.

There are people out there that will not agree with your opinions.  What I really take issue with is when someone questions my "IU fandom".  Nobody is gonna tell me how to think, feel, or that my opinion is wrong.

Nice post Bro.  I enjoyed every word of it.

Since I was home sick today I watched the two final four games from 81 so I can remember what it was like to watch a great IU team.  Maybe some of the you guys should do the same thing instead of just coming and complaining constantly about something you have no control over.  It is hard to believe that 81 team started 7-5 and lost to Texas Pan American in the non conference.  That was one of the most dominate tournament run that has ever happen with the closest game being 13 point in the championship game.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's kind of my point.  He'll get the benefit of the doubt from the fans as he should.  That's why I wanted a proven commodity.  Archie just isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.  As our fan base gets restless recruiting will get even harder.  Our rivals are already talking about who they think we'll hire to replace Archie.  Marshall would have gotten a much longer leash from the fans.

It wouldn't matter who the coach is here if they start off badly because some will complain no matter what.

Archived