Northwestern Postgame Thread

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entertaining part of all of this discussion is that 90% of us on here 1 month ago was all for CAM and this team and were ripping Purdue and so glad that Painter is there etc... Many on GBI were ready to get CMP out the door. Now CMP is the greatest thing since Wooden and CAM can't coach a lick. Winning cures all.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is criticizing and  second guessing the same as ragging? 

Although in my opinion, the criticism is unwarranted, no, in and of itself it is not ragging.

Ragging is the fact that it has gone on now for a third day. Rico made a comment that the examples made by some posters to explain why this team is under performing had become redundant. The same can be said for the ongoing criticism. You guys aren't saying anything new, just regurgitating the same stuff. From what I have read, your aren't offering any solutions either. 

That is ragging, in my opinion

With an active five game losing streak that has been as ugly as this:  The head coach, the players, the assistant coach, the managers, the court moppers, the videographers, the water boys, the guys running the scoreboard, EVERYONE should be put on blast!   (in that order, in my opinion)   All should be looking within themselves and at their brothers to perform better as individuals and as a team.  We have seen some evidence that this team can play at a high level. (though not much lately) Time to sack up and do it boys, with passion or without.  (not everyone plays with the same outward demeanor)

I understand how frustrated people are because we do care and we all have a little extra spring in our step when IU men's basketball plays up to potential.  What we have seen recently is a puzzling drop in overall play and mental game. We are understandably upset that the team has looked so bad.  That does not mean we as fans should pull our support or question people's job security.  That just makes us look silly, at this stage of the game. (again just my opinion)    

So to any IU players or others on the team mentioned above:  GET YOUR $#!+ together!   Friday night is your next opportunity.  We'll be watching and wishing you only the best!  

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Although in my opinion, the criticism is unwarranted, no, in and of itself it is not ragging.

Ragging is the fact that it has gone on now for a third day. Rico made a comment that the examples made by some posters to explain why this team is under performing had become redundant. The same can be said for the ongoing criticism. You guys aren't saying anything new, just regurgitating the same stuff. From what I have read, your aren't offering any solutions either. 

Who do I offer them to Archie? I have said plenty of times this team needs to play fast, get out on the break and stop walking the ball up the floor. We have not played 1 team in conference play that I think is more athletic than we are. When RP was out UM probably but that is all. We do not play to our strengths, if that is ragging then ok I guess I am ragging. We have length and athleticism and yet we never press. Last year a lot was said about our poor shooting and it is not any better.  Light a fire under them and let them play. I do get tired of watching a game in which our players have to constantly look at the bench for instruction. Get a shot off every once in a while with more than 10 sec on shot clock. For heaven sake run a set play for a quick hitter or run someone off a screen to hit a shot. We look at bench weave for 20 seconds drive into the lane hope for best or kick out and chuck up a shot. That is not offense and if the players are doing that on their own get their butts out, if not then they are getting it from someone. 

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have offered numerous solutions.....my problem with the direction the thread has gone is everybody talking about K, B, etc.....and where they were in their 2nd year......ad nauseum.

Most of the people are not calling for him to be fired.  They are calling for him to do better.  And to do better now.  Not in 2 more years.  Is that reasonable?  That is is debatable.  But it is what it is.  There are those who are all in all the time and no matter what, they will be happy with what we have.  Conversely there are those who are all out all the time and will never be happy unless we win National Titles every year.  But for the average fan, like myself, i just want to watch good inspired basketball.  If we lose in the end then we got beat by a the better team.  But i am tired of losing to teams with less talent because they can run an offense, or shoot the ball efficiently or get an inbound pass in correctly or a list of any other things expected from a previous Blue Blood basketball program.

Do i wan him fired? No.  Do i want better?  Yes.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well, if as you said, some of this stuff just keeps getting repeated........

This is my 6th post in this thread. You have had 29. 

Shows your lack of inactivity.....just like IU basketball right now, inactivity.

Just now, rico said:

Shows your lack of inactivity.....just like IU basketball right now, inactivity.

Nope, 

Just shows that some folks can't just leave things alone. Point was made about 8 pages ago. 

Even the new thread started with the article about  Stop Calling for Archie's Head has become another bash him string.

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Most of the people are not calling for him to be fired.  They are calling for him to do better.  And to do better now.  Not in 2 more years.  Is that reasonable?  That is is debatable.  But it is what it is.  There are those who are all in all the time and no matter what, they will be happy with what we have.  Conversely there are those who are all out all the time and will never be happy unless we win National Titles every year.  But for the average fan, like myself, i just want to watch good inspired basketball.  If we lose in the end then we got beat by a the better team.  But i am tired of losing to teams with less talent because they can run an offense, or shoot the ball efficiently or get an inbound pass in correctly or a list of any other things expected from a previous Blue Blood basketball program.

Do i wan him fired? No.  Do i want better?  Yes.

I would say with the roster how it is right now and with all the injuries throughout the year I feel it is unreasonable to think we should be much better.  The injuries is just not what we see in the games but how it has hurt the development of the players since they missed a lot of practice time.  It also hurts the team chemistry since they have not been able to practice as a whole team the entire season.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

The entertaining part of all of this discussion is that 90% of us on here 1 month ago was all for CAM and this team and were ripping Purdue and so glad that Painter is there etc... Many on GBI were ready to get CMP out the door. Now CMP is the greatest thing since Wooden and CAM can't coach a lick. Winning cures all.

What happened over those 3-4 weeks for IU? We lost our developing, starting point guard who shoots over 40% from 3, and we lost our backup 5 who is the only experienced player we have that can legitimately defend the block (Morgan tries of course, but has to worry about fouling). During these 3-4 weeks we've been killed inside defending the block and controlling the defensive backboard, and the shooting, which already wasn't great, has fallen off a cliff. 

Yes, I know. More excuses. 

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What happened over those 3-4 weeks for IU? We lost our developing, starting point guard who shoots over 40% from 3, and we lost our backup 5 who is the only experienced player we have that can legitimately defend the block (Morgan tries of course, but has to worry about fouling). During these 3-4 weeks we've been killed inside defending the block and controlling the defensive backboard, and the shooting, which already wasn't great, has fallen off a cliff. 

Yes, I know. More excuses. 

Exactly that's why I address it. To show what fandom is and it's all programs. 

My only real complaint is I have not seen any changes that show we have adjusted our offense for our particular strengths.

I believe CAM is the guy but not above criticism 

I believe in Archie.  There are a couple of concerns that I have, but I think he will resolve them in future seasons.  My concerns can be explained by the fact that his hands have been tied by injuries and players he inherited.  If my concerns do not get addressed over the next couple of seasons, then I reserve the right to change my tune, but I don't expect that to be the case.  

I think real grading of Archie would start in season 4.  Anything before that is a mistake and would be premature.  That's just the reality of the situation.  

As for the discussions about concerns, Archie is being introduced to the oeuvre of Indiana basketball.  I think Archie gets it and accepts that is part of the deal here.   It was part of the deal for Crean, obviously.  This is a passionate fan base.  There are always some inappropriate people anywhere or times where emotions erupt, but by and large this is a very, very knowledgeable and good fan base.  You don't let the over the top outliers define the fan base.

The last thing we need is apathy.  I like that the fan base still has fire in its collective belly.  There is a five game losing streak happening.  You want there to be angst and discussion about concerns.  It's the better option compared to people not caring.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My only real complaint is I have not seen any changes that show we have adjusted our offense for our particular strengths.

Completely agree! Like I've said in other threads, there are things we can do to get Fitzner some open looks where he is more comfortable (not on the move) to turn him into a weapon (thought he's really weak defensively) and there are things that can be done to put Smith in better spots to finish and not have him at the top of the key or on the wing with the ball. 

I'm hoping we see some more adjustments to pace and speed now that Phinisee is back and finally looks comfortable.

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I actually thought the last 10-12 minutes of the NW game he adjusted both offensively and defensively.  He went away from the weave and went to more of a flex offense and go some good looks out of that.  On defense he seemed to put more pressure on the ball full or at least 3 quarter court.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would say with the roster how it is right now and with all the injuries throughout the year I feel it is unreasonable to think we should be much better.  The injuries is just not what we see in the games but how it has hurt the development of the players since they missed a lot of practice time.  It also hurts the team chemistry since they have not been able to practice as a whole team the entire season.

These are all D1 players.  They should be able to run an offense that is more than just standing around.  They should be able to shoot the basketball.  They should be able to hit a free throw.  They should be able to get back on defense.  And they should be able to play inspired games with heart.  They don't have to win.  They do have to play good basketball.  These are all 3, 4,  and 5 start division 1 basketball players.  Many of which were recruited by Archie.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually thought the last 10-12 minutes of the NW game he adjusted both offensively and defensively.  He went away from the weave and went to more of a flex offense and go some good looks out of that.  On defense he seemed to put more pressure on the ball full or at least 3 quarter court.

Agree with this too. IU played with much better pace the latter part of the second half, I'm hoping we see more of it and that it was due to Phinisee seeming to have his legs back. Yes, we did run some flex too (hey, what do you know, was that an adjustment?). Having Phinisee and Durham play confidently on offense really takes things up a notch, whether it's simply their confidence or it's Archie loosening things up, I hope we see much more of it. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree! Like I've said in other threads, there are things we can do to get Fitzner some open looks where he is more comfortable (not on the move) to turn him into a weapon (thought he's really weak defensively) and there are things that can be done to put Smith in better spots to finish and not have him at the top of the key or on the wing with the ball. 

I'm hoping we see some more adjustments to pace and speed now that Phinisee is back and finally looks comfortable.

I believe you mentioned previously of running Smith on the baseline much like Troy Williams use to do.  Zack McRoberts despite the sagging defenders has been making some very nice post feeds to Juan.  I would like to see Zack make those feeds and screen for a baseline runner like Justin as you mentioned & when appropriate even have  Romeo & Al run the same pattern with the option of the corner three.  

The start that we got off to against Northwestern was a welcomed site. The confidence in scoring outside of our normal one-two punch is a good sign of things to come imo.  Seemed like the team chemistry was considerably better particularly after Rob punched down the dunk off the straight line drive. I loved the bench reaction there.

Hoping we take strong enough strides to overtake Michigan tomorrow night:)

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Many of which were recruited by Archie.

Hmmmm.....I’m not exactly sure what you mean by many, but of the guys who play consistently, two of them were recruited by CAM.  Jake and Damezi are freshman who just aren’t ready physically/mentally to play meaningful minutes.  Hunter is unfortunately hurt.

6 hours ago, cbread said:

The start that we got off to against Northwestern was a welcomed site. The confidence in scoring outside of our normal one-two punch is a good sign of things to come imo.  Seemed like the team chemistry was considerably better particularly after Rob punched down the dunk off the straight line drive. I loved the bench reaction there.

Hoping we take strong enough strides to overtake Michigan tomorrow night:)

I totally agree with you on this. I’ve only watched basketball, never played (sadly cut at middle school tryouts 😂), but it seemed to me in the Northwestern game they started to gel.  I think our season got a restart. Just a feeling. But hey I had the same feeling back in that infamous AFC championship game when the Colts were down 21-3 to the Patriots. When the Colts came back onto that field down 18, they had their game face on and I knew they were in it to win it. So who knows? 🏀😜😃 [Ok this led me to NFL highlights of that game and I still get goosebumps!]

Archived