Romeo

I started this thread to get some opinions on Romeo’s hand situation. 

My thoughts are that it has been hurting pretty bad and the wrap is causing some problems with his shot. 

Gordon had a broken wrist.  He wrapped it and played on to keep his draft status.  No one outside of a few people knew about it. He was very inconsistent while it was wrapped.

Could the same thing be going on with Romeo’s hand?   Something that maybe a bigger deal than what we are led to believe.

I’m not comparing the two based on ability. Gordon was a hell of a shooter and still is.  He scored with power moves while Romeo a little more finess. 

I'm with Mile, I thought his shot looked okay when he came back into the game.  A bit off topic but I think D. Davis' injury/recovery has been greatly underestimated in terms of the impact on this IU team.  I think many IU fans had concerns he might not be 100% to start the season but also thought he would be a major factor by now.  I feel bad for him having to continue to struggle with injuries.  Moreover, we would certainly see an entirely different IU team right now if Davis could play 20 minutes per game.  It may sound like excuses but I certainly do not think IU would be on a current 5 game losing streak if DD was playing at full strength and in the game vs Haarms or Pardon.  Sorry for the sidetrack, just thought about this a lot today when reading/hearing a bunch of negative feedback about the struggles of this IU team.  I'm as disappointed as any IU fan but Archie is dealing with much more than players with lack of effort and the Green incident may be the first true indicator that chemistry is a major issue too.

I don’t know about his hand situation but he is being misused. Maybe not Archie’s fault given the roster is kinda incomplete but if Romeo was playing on a team surrounded by shooters the kid would have all the room in the world to get to the basket and deadly in screen and rolls. 

Watched Vandy tonight...had Garland not got hurt Romeo should have went there...they would have a shot at winning the SEC and making a tourney run. Add Romeo to a better shooting IU team we have had in the past we would be deadly. As it stands..this is an avg team...and I would say getting some avg coaching...both could perform better and I think Archie will hopefully learn from this season. We know Archie can recruit...now can he step up and make adjustments and right the ship. We saw the same thing with his brother in Arizona...great recruiting but seem to under perform in tourney.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t know about his hand situation but he is being misused. Maybe not Archie’s fault given the roster is kinda incomplete but if Romeo was playing on a team surrounded by shooters the kid would have all the room in the world to get to the basket and deadly in screen and rolls. 

Watched Vandy tonight...had Garland not got hurt Romeo should have went there...they would have a shot at winning the SEC and making a tourney run. Add Romeo to a better shooting IU team we have had in the past we would be deadly. As it stands..this is an avg team...and I would say getting some avg coaching...both could perform better and I think Archie will hopefully learn from this season. We know Archie can recruit...now can he step up and make adjustments and right the ship. We saw the same thing with his brother in Arizona...great recruiting but seem to under perform in tourney.

The answer might be Romeo has to develop a three point shot.  I dont think anyone expected his shooting percentage to be what it is.  One has to think the taped hand, injury has to do something with it.  Does anyone actually know what it is?  Why doesnt anyone from the media ask?  We knew E. Gordan had a wrist injury while playing for IU.  

This team has the shooters.  One is Evan, the speed and physical play has done numbers.  The other two that were ready to play are Race and Hunter.    Rob is a shooter as well.  

1 hour ago, HoosierTownie said:

This has crossed my mind as well, although I have no idea if it is actually the case.  However, unfortunately, if this is case, IMHO, it means he has absolutely no intention of staying in college beyond this year.

Not sure I understand the logic.  Could be he just wants to play and help IU win. 

I believe that his hand is really bothering him. I've seen him grimace and flex his hand in numerous games...This is likely to be impacting his shooting confidence...Shooting accuracy is deeply connected to confidence.

I think that another thing that might be making it easier to guard him is that he doesn't trust his left hand much. All of the actions are designed to get him in to the lane with his right hand and I think that is a byproduct of his lack of confidence going left...

He is a willing passer for sure, but when he misses the open man it's because the open man is on his left. In the game last night when they drew a charge on him late in the game, it was a right handed drive where he took a floater, but Rob was actually really open on the left wing...I think Romeo hits the open man 9/10 times when the guy is on his right, but he does not trust himself to make a left handed pass

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The answer might be Romeo has to develop a three point shot.  I dont think anyone expected his shooting percentage to be what it is.  One has to think the taped hand, injury has to do something with it.  Does anyone actually know what it is?  Why doesnt anyone from the media ask?  We knew E. Gordan had a wrist injury while playing for IU.  

This team has the shooters.  One is Evan, the speed and physical play has done numbers.  The other two that were ready to play are Race and Hunter.    Rob is a shooter as well.  

I just looked it up Romeo was a 36% 3pt shooter his senior year and something like 81% free throw.  Not sure how accurate that data is.  

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I started this thread to get some opinions on Romeo’s hand situation. 

My thoughts are that it has been hurting pretty bad and the wrap is causing some problems with his shot. 

Gordon had a broken wrist.  He wrapped it and played on to keep his draft status.  No one outside of a few people knew about it. He was very inconsistent while it was wrapped.

Could the same thing be going on with Romeo’s hand?   Something that maybe a bigger deal than what we are led to believe.

I’m not comparing the two based on ability. Gordon was a hell of a shooter and still is.  He scored with power moves while Romeo a little more finess. 

The team Gordon was on had more going for it...D.J of course, but also some very effective shooters like Armon Basset and Jordan Crawford...

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

The team Gordon was on had more going for it...D.J of course, but also some very effective shooters like Armon Basset and Jordan Crawford...

Without any doubt.  I was referring to the fact we all knew what his hand/wrist injury was at the time.  No one says anything except speculation from the announcers about tape on his hand.  

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure I understand the logic.  Could be he just wants to play and help IU win. 

You could be (probably are) right.  The OP made reference to Gordon playing through his broken wrist for draft status, so my statement was made from the perspective that Romeo is playing through an injury due to his intent to enter the draft after this year vs taking the time off to repair/heal the injury and potentially sliding in the draft or playing an additional year in college.

I'm one who will go on record and say I don't think Romeo has the prettiest of 3 point shots.  

Pay attention when and if he gets a wide open one and can just ease into.  As the ball get over his shoulder it hitches back just a bit then he sort of pushes it to the basket without a lot of arch.  It's a totally different shot than his 15-17 foot jumper that has a really high release and pretty follow through.  May be compensating for a little pain?

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm one who will go on record and say I don't think Romeo has the prettiest of 3 point shots.  

Pay attention when and if he gets a wide open one and can just ease into.  As the ball get over his shoulder it hitches back just a bit then he sort of pushes it to the basket without a lot of arch.  It's a totally different shot than his 15-17 foot jumper that has a really high release and pretty follow through.  May be compensating for a little pain?

I think you might be on to something. 

Please correct me if I am wrong.  But as I recall.... Romeo was missing trey's long before his recent hand injury.  So, IMHO, the injury has nothing to do with his ability to hit behind the arc.  There has got to be another reason.  And I say this, as he is still a shooter, inside the arc, with a taped hand. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Please correct me if I am wrong.  But as I recall.... Romeo was missing trey's long before his recent hand injury.  So, IMHO, the injury has nothing to do with his ability to hit behind the arc.  There has got to be another reason.  And I say this, as he is still a shooter, inside the arc, with a taped hand. 

He hurt his wrist last year in high school

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He hurt his wrist last year in high school

Yes. I grant you that. However, it did not seem to be a problem at the start of this season. But then again... some injuries seem to weaken the body part they happened on. Seems to be the case here.

Thank you Scott.  As I had forgotten about he prep injury. 

Archived