Defense Not Generating Turnovers

6 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
It's the untold story of this five game losing streak.  And it doesn't pair well at all with a struggling half court offense.

Continue with excellent stuff TDH!  I cancelled my 247 Subscription and now only visit your site.  Love what you are bringing.  To confirm what you are writing in this article, CAM has mentioned several times the lack of live ball turnovers hurting the team during this losing stretch.  What is puzzling to me is that the players who were quite capable of dismantling Marquette have now seemingly "forgotten" how to play this past 5 games.  What is the difference?  Not injury.  With Greens departure could we conceivably be dealing with something much more sinister such as lack of team chemistry.  And if that is the case, why aren't those "without an edge" sitting next to the coach getting extended pine time?  I don't get upset with Losses  when I see the team leave it all on the floor but I have no use for a player going thru the motions or being petulant.  I just get this nagging belief that something else more severe is wrong with this years team.  I hope I'm wrong.  

Good catch, TDH.

Lost in all the Archie discussion, how about the players take some initiative and responsibility out on the floor.

If we hadn't lost five in a row, we would be discussing how insanely ridiculous it was that we allowed Falzone to get 21 points off 6 threes (and a seventh where he was fouled on a three and drilled all three free throws).  That alone was a disgrace.  The coaches may have been caught by surprise and that may be on them.  But after he hits a couple, put your ego aside and show some tenacity and snuff it out.  Anybody who has played ball for even a minimum amount of time knows that if you see an opponent hit a couple from range, even if you're not familiar with him, GET OUT ON HIM.  You don't need a coach to tell you that.  It's self-explanatory.

Then you've got a kid trying to slam in a thundering dunk with the game in the balance late, and he freaking whiffed.  Ok, you want to develop energy?  Get your *** out on Falzone.  I don't think the kid ever put the ball on the floor.

That was not a good NU team.  They are headed for 3-7 soon.  IU lost to them.  I mean, really?

2 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Continue with excellent stuff TDH!  I cancelled my 247 Subscription and now only visit your site.  Love what you are bringing.  To confirm what you are writing in this article, CAM has mentioned several times the lack of live ball turnovers hurting the team during this losing stretch.  What is puzzling to me is that the players who were quite capable of dismantling Marquette have now seemingly "forgotten" how to play this past 5 games.  What is the difference?  Not injury.  With Greens departure could we conceivably be dealing with something much more sinister such as lack of team chemistry.  And if that is the case, why aren't those "without an edge" sitting next to the coach getting extended pine time?  I don't get upset with Losses  when I see the team leave it all on the floor but I have no use for a player going thru the motions or being petulant.  I just get this nagging belief that something else more severe is wrong with this years team.  I hope I'm wrong.  

Well, we've seen it before in a similar season where it all fell apart on a team led by a freshman "savior."  I haven't heard of any bigger issues however like that team however.

As far as your comment regarding 247 goes, well, that just blows my mind.  I am beyond honored.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good catch, TDH.

Lost in all the Archie discussion, how about the players take some initiative and responsibility out on the floor.

If we hadn't lost five in a row, we would be discussing how insanely ridiculous it was that we allowed Falzone to get 21 points off 6 threes (and a seventh where he was fouled on a three and drilled all three free throws).  That alone was a disgrace.  The coaches may have been caught by surprise and that may be on them.  But after he hits a couple, put your ego aside and show some tenacity and snuff it out.  Anybody who has played ball for even a minimum amount of time knows that if you see an opponent hit a couple from range, even if you're not familiar with him, GET OUT ON HIM.  You don't need a coach to tell you that.  It's self-explanatory.

Then you've got a kid trying to slam in a thundering dunk with the game in the balance late, and he freaking whiffed.  Ok, you want to develop energy?  Get your *** out on Falzone.  I don't think the kid ever put the ball on the floor.

That was not a good NU team.  They are headed for 3-7 soon.  IU lost to them.  I mean, really?

Good points.  These are the things that happen when there is no floor leader IMO.  It's all on the coaches and that is not a good thing at this level.

I really enjoyed the article, but I disagreeing when it comes to generating turnovers. Like you alluded to, the pack-line defense is about making opponents hit contested shots from outside. When ran right, the pack-line is the toughest defense to play against in my opinion. When it comes to generating turnovers, it doesn't necessarily lead to success or even making the tournament.

I learned and played in the pack-line defense. We were given a binder before the year started, and in the binder there were stats from the previous year for D1 teams. One was turnovers generated and the other was scoring defense. Of the top 10 teams in regards to turnovers generated, only 1 of those teams (VCU) made the tournament. When it came to scoring defense, 9 of the 10 teams made the tournament. This was probably around 2015 or so. I took a quick look at the current stats for those categories, and it seemed to reflect the same thing.

I do agree that there needs to be a sense of urgency, and I thought they showed it late in the Northwestern game. Hopefully this team can find that spark and salvage the season. Keep up the great work!

2 minutes ago, InThePaint said:

I really enjoyed the article, but I disagreeing when it comes to generating turnovers. Like you alluded to, the pack-line defense is about making opponents hit contested shots from outside. When ran right, the pack-line is the toughest defense to play against in my opinion. When it comes to generating turnovers, it doesn't necessarily lead to success or even making the tournament.

I learned and played in the pack-line defense. We were given a binder before the year started, and in the binder there were stats from the previous year for D1 teams. One was turnovers generated and the other was scoring defense. Of the top 10 teams in regards to turnovers generated, only 1 of those teams (VCU) made the tournament. When it came to scoring defense, 9 of the 10 teams made the tournament. This was probably around 2015 or so. I took a quick look at the current stats for those categories, and it seemed to reflect the same thing.

I do agree that there needs to be a sense of urgency, and I thought they showed it late in the Northwestern game. Hopefully this team can find that spark and salvage the season. Keep up the great work!

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation ! 

35 minutes ago, InThePaint said:

I hear what you are saying, but I am guessing that nowhere in that binder did it say that it would be a good idea to be forcing less turnovers than the worst team in the country at forcing turnovers.  To me a good pack-line should be generating "frustration" turnovers where guys are trying to force things that aren't there because they don't want to settle for contested threes.  Besides, Archie said today (after this article, wink wink) that they need to be forcing more turnovers to help create easy scoring opportunities.

But we agree that this will never be a top 10 team at forcing turnovers, and that is fine.

Archived