Devonte Green first Gold Jersey winner

Reacher

"In Green, Miller sees a toolsy young point guard who can get to places on the floor that few on IU’s roster can. When Miller goes to award the winner of Indiana’s next gold jersey after Friday’s practice, Green is in the hunt, along with junior forward Juwan Morgan and senior forward Freddie McSwain."

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/10/under-miller-hoosiers-work-to-meet-gold-standard/

It seems like this has helped spur competition which is good. Also looks like Green will be getting his fair share of PT. Miller previously praised his defense.

Nice seeing Morgan and McSwain in that group as well. I'd be interested in knowing the criteria for scoring. Hopefully a reporter will ask about that. 

What does everyone think about whether Devonte will start? By later in the season? I see him getting starter type minutes. I know many are high on his ceiling. Like Clifton, a major step up from Devonte this season will be key to moving up the rankings in the B1G.

2 things I mostly took away from the article :

One is Green, Morgan, and McSwain currently contending for this week's award, seems to indicate Miller's approach is already(unsurprisingly) having an immediate effect on the more defense oriented players.

The other is(speculating somewhat) that since Miller was a PG, he likely has very high standards for what he expects to see out of that position.One would be inclined to think on court leadership and efficiency ,two things visibly missing way too often last season, are certainly a part of the puzzle on Miller's PG expectations.So Green already winning the first gold jersey, and being in the mix for the 2nd, is a very very good sign for Green, individually as well as IU's potential PG depth since Miller has reportedly already publicly spoke well of Newkirk ,Johnson's  leadership among others. It's hard and a bit premature to draw any conclusions off winning a one week old award.

With that said, and to answer your question there at the end : I think Green starting is a matter of when, not so much if whether he wins the weekly award again or not.. All things considered, his game , primarily his offensive skillset is the most diverse on the team, and given his defensive potential has the makings of ultimately becoming the go-to guy we lacked in 2017.To be go to a player needs to be strong in offense ,defense transition,and bring some intangibles others do not.Execution in big situation in actual games always matters most there.Green checks all of those boxes, but the BIG one, so it will be something to keep an eye on as an early indicator if this ultimately results in Green starting right away. The early practice returns suggest no less than him having a very good chance, and this is a new staff so you never know...Ultimately I think provided Newkirk and Johnson aren't playing poorly, Miller elects to go with game experience early on, but I care more to find out if Green is capable of playing in crunch time than anything else.My point is seeing Green become a starter as well depends most on Green.The starter argument tilts in his favor the closer he gets to consistently competing at the same if not higher level than either Newkirk or Johnson.If the team's rhythm and Chemistry are better with Green coming off the bench as a spark, then I could care less if he runs out with 40 minutes left to play.That even goes for if/when he passes up either Johnson or Newkirk.

The best reward for consistency is playing the most critical minutes, and the players who are playing at the end of close games say more to me than who starts in any scenario..

[Edit FKM : If that deflection comment was, in fact,  an intended tongue in cheek dig at Crean's favorite stat, I totally got that sarcasm...and I totally dig it  !! HAHAHA}

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

[Edit FKM : If that deflection comment was, in fact,  an intended tongue in cheek dig at Crean's favorite stat, I totally got that sarcasm...and I totally dig it  !! HAHAHA}

As much as I respect what Coach Crean did for IU basketball...yes, it was.

I found it telling that Archie said the players with the most gold jersey points in practices generally see that translate in games. 

That should translate to playing time for Morgan, Green and McSwain. 

As are all defensive minded guys and its clear CAM wants a defensive oriented team, I think the 3 above will be getting more minutes as a result. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I found it telling that Archie said the players with the most gold jersey points in practices generally see that translate in games. 

That should translate to playing time for Morgan, Green and McSwain. 

As are all defensive minded guys and its clear CAM wants a defensive oriented team, I think the 3 above will be getting more minutes as a result. 

McSwain providing good minutes off the bench will be huge for us this year.  I could see it happening, he’s a phenomenal athlete.

Archived