Michigan Postgame Thread

KDB

10 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I frequently look at this IU poster/schedule, which proudly adorns every player's face, including Archie, EVERYDAY. It hangs in my classroom and I proudly look at it on and off all day long, not because who is on the roster, but because of who EVERYONE on that poster represents....INDIANA UNIVERSITY. I attached this poster for another reason. It's so frustrating hearing and reading such negativity about the players and Archies lack of coaching.

Look at every player on this poster I've attached and tell me which player or players that should be playing on this team, at this level, every game, contributing consistently to help us win.

I continue to look at it and just can't find enough players to compete day in and day out in the Big Ten. I constantly pick Juwan, Romeo and Rob...That is where I stop. Jerome should be in this upper tier list too, but...not this year.

I should be including Deron (still hampered with injuries). Al and Justin are getting better, but not there yet. 

I see No one else that even make the cut. I remind myself of this everyday when I get discouraged. Myself, as a fan, I will not give up, though it pains me ....and Archie will not give up on these boys.

20190124_074121.thumb.jpg.4cf6068c288f686938cc162e803efeec.jpg

Have the same hanging in my classroom.  It may meet the scissors on Monday.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UM is an elite team with an elite defense and a very good offense.   They just clubbed IU like they were baby seals.  A 17-0 run to start the game and it was all over.

I listened to the interview of CAM by Fish before the game.   When he was asked how he was going to adjust to get out the slump, he said defense and going over some basics.  Sorry, coach that isn't going to cut it if this team is going to get into NCAAT.

Despite the injuries and suspension this team is just too much talent not to make the NCAAT. 

Right now  I hope that CAM is a system and recruiting coach.  I don't see much evidence of much else.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Interesting that Andy Katz still has us in tourney after last night. Those Louisville, Marquette, Butler wins still remain huge. Just need to get a win Wednesday. Plenty of time to right the ship. 

That and I don’t think the teams we’ve lost to the past 6 games are as bad as everyone believes.  Now one can argue how we’ve lost, but the loss itself isn’t that bad.  The BIG is extremely deep this year.

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

That and I don’t think the teams we’ve lost to the past 6 games are as bad as everyone believes.  Now one can argue how we’ve lost, but the loss itself isn’t that bad.  The BIG is extremely deep this year.

Unless Nebraska is a Top 10 team, losing to them at Assembly Hall is a bad loss.  I have always been of the opinion that any home loss is a bad loss in college basketball because the home court advantage is huge.

Just now, StLHoosier said:

They aren't bad losses at all. It's just the totality and the 12-2 start with all the injuries raised our level of expectations. Probably to a bit unfair levels. 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Unless Nebraska is a Top 10 team, losing to them at Assembly Hall is a bad loss.  I have always been of the opinion that any home loss is a bad loss in college basketball because the home court advantage is huge.

Nebraska is ranked 21 in the NET and 14 in KenPom.  It’s not as bad as you think in terms of an NCAA bid.  Not that we’ll make it, especially with how we’ve been playing, but that door isn’t completely shut.

( I guess this should have gone to “what happened to this team” thread) As for me, I have pretty much given up on this SEASON but not on this TEAM, and not on this coach... yet. Things have fallen off the tracks for all the reasons we have already mentioned, plus, what I think is another dynamic- the fans. Armaan Franklin went on Twitter to try to calm fans down, and his mother has been out there, too. Green tweeted “Wishes Granted” after his suspension, in my mind, to acknowledge that he knew fans wanted him gone. The point? These kids and their families are of the generation that social media plays a much more integral role in their lives than it does to older folks who just like to go vent. These kids know what the fans are saying. My ( newest) theory about this collapse, is that the team is tired of receiving hate and constant criticism from parts of the fan base. Does anyone remember when the team released video before the season and Fitzner hit something like 11 3’s in a row? Now, he is so scared because he feels so much pressure that it’s affecting his confidence and he’s a shell of the shooter he was. He can’t hit the broad side of a barn.. same with pretty much the rest of the team. Sarcastically cheering them when they scored, booing them off the floor, those are all things that really bother some of these kids. Think Romeo wants to sign autographs anymore for folks who are saying really ugly things about him? I am a regular on this board because it’s the only place that shows civility. So my fan criticism does NOT extend to this forum. When a team collapses like this, there are big problems, and it’s not above criticism. But the personal and hateful level it has gotten to us off the charts. ( look at peoples comments on green’s twitter) I think this team sees and hears the criticism and is reacting to it. Shame on Dakich for what he has done. I am 45 years old, and care way too much. I’m as upset as the next guy. But what good does it do to go on the #iubb thread and speak as if we are the “BBN”?  As I said, I have officially given up on this season, and as a New Albany native, and life long IU fan, the layers of disappointment are hard to explain, you wouldn’t know what’s it’s like hearing the Louisville and KY fans... horrible. The only thing compelling me now is to see if they ever win again.....

11 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Nebraska is ranked 21 in the NET and 14 in KenPom.  It’s not as bad as you think in terms of an NCAA bid.  Not that we’ll make it, especially with how we’ve been playing, but that door isn’t completely shut.

Yeah, I get it.  But it is still Nebraska.  There are several teams in the Big Ten that I will always consider bad losses, I do not care what kind of year they are having.  Tired of being a Big Ten doormat and I am furious at the way this program has been handled the past decade by everyone involved.

Cooler heads are not prevailing for me right now.  I want Fred Glass gone so if Archie does this again next year, Fred is nowhere near making a decision for the 2 major programs again.

19 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

You have a good point.  But the problem in my eyes is that IU was never in the Nebraska or UM games at home.  We just didn't show up. 

27 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Tell me who outside of Romeo and Juwan you expect to carry us.  RP?  He’s a freshman and not one of those Duke type freshman.  JS?  

Of course, RP's not Duke talent.  I'm talking about enough talent to just make the NCAAT.  Romeo is a Duke talent, but we have only one of that type and not 3.

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I guess.... most of you are too young to know.  However... I suffered, as a student at IU.... through the Watson years.  Want to know bad ?  That was bad.

I saw the last Watson team my freshman year on campus 70-71.   Lots of talent on that team, but they were out of control and not coached well.  Steve Downing, George McGinnis, Joby Wright, John Riter, and Bubbles Harris started for that team.  The front line of Downing, McGinnis, and Wright was as good as any in the country.

14 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Yes, he did seem frustrated and even mad to me.  Especially on his way to the locker room at half time.

I thought he was ticked before half for 2-3 calls being called against us but not them. PS...Lunardi still has us in the tourney as well. He just posted. 

49 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Tell me who outside of Romeo and Juwan you expect to carry us.  RP?  He’s a freshman and not one of those Duke type freshman.  JS?  

This has been my soapbox and argument since our decline. Not much left in the cupboard.....Archie knows it, alot of other fans disagree.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought he was ticked before half for 2-3 calls being called against us but not them. PS...Lunardi still has us in the tourney as well. He just posted. 

Those missed calls - I have never seen anything like it, not even in High School.  The reversed out of bounds to Michigan.  Step over the line.  Travel.  

10 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I saw the last Watson team my freshman year on campus 70-71.   Lots of talent on that team, but they were out of control and not coached well.  Steve Downing, George McGinnis, Joby Wright, John Riter, and Bubbles Harris started for that team.  The front line of Downing, McGinnis, and Wright was as good as any in the country.

I graduated in 1969.  Yeah, I know. I know.

My Freshman year, Lou went 8-16.  My Senior  year he went 9-15.

On the social media topic:

This is a real problem with our youth.  Parents need to do a much better job at restricting the use of social media for their kids.  It absolutely affects brain development.  It absolutely is consumed at extremely unhealthy levels.  

Our players would do themselves a huuuuuge favor by getting off social media.  I know, it sounds outrageous.  I mean, you could blame it on crazy fans all you want but the players have control over which voices they allow to influence their lives.  They have zero control over the twittersphere.  Anonymous people in the social media outlets seem like the last voices I would let influence my life decisions.  

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes, I do remember him being mad about some calls.  He was right, too.  Maybe that is what was happening at half leaving the floor.

Archived