Beilein on Archie: It's all About Culture

1 thing for sure that I agree with  DD on is that we need an IU guy on staff.  Take it for what it is worth once again just what has been told to me is that the idea of a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife  on staff fell on deaf ears because of our fans. CAM and AD did not want CAM to be looking over his shoulder at the potential replacement. Those currently on staff would not assume or try to get the position if things go bad and our fan-base would be pushing for the IU guy on staff if things turn bad. 

I can tell you that having either of those guys wold be a huge asset IMO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

1 thing for sure that I agree with  DD on is that we need an IU guy on staff.  Take it for what it is worth once again just what has been told to me is that the idea of a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife  on staff fell on deaf ears because of our fans. CAM and AD did not want CAM to be looking over his shoulder at the potential replacement. Those currently on staff would not assume or try to get the position if things go bad and our fan-base would be pushing for the IU guy on staff if things turn bad. 

Yes I would like to see both of those guys on staff or one of them and Calbert. Lavin referring to the hoosier players as fragile means to me they are pansies 

17 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Ed is in charge of player development.   He is our homerun hire for in state recruiting and player development...  we wont find better than him!  He has all the credentials one could ask for, from high school to NBA.  Dude built Yogi and Bluitt..  I  say he is our Indiana guy on the staff

I agree with the state of Indiana guy but his is not an Indiana University guy big difference. I would not replace ED in any way but I would trade anyone else for a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife in a second.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with the state of Indiana guy but his is not an Indiana University guy big difference. I would not replace ED in any way but I would trade anyone else for a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife in a second.

I just don't get what an IU guy on the bench would help because we are recruiting the state quit well right now.  Most recruits today never saw Fife or Lewis playa t Iu so what would they do to help the program.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Take it for what it is worth once again just what has been told to me is that the idea of a Michael Lewis or Dane Fife  on staff fell on deaf ears because of our fans. CAM and AD did not want CAM to be looking over his shoulder at the potential replacement. 

I hope this is not true and you got bad info on this one.  There are about a million things I'd like to comment about this and none of them are positive if it is true.  I'll leave it alone since you don't seem 100% convinced it's accurate.  I pray it isn't.  

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Knowledgeable people understand what we have in Ed.  I know him, as my daughter used to be a regular at champions academy, Working with Ed and April.  Everyone knows hes one of the best at player development,  so why is it some of our guys dont seem to be retaining tjis stuff?

3 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Knowledgeable people understand what we have in Ed.  I know him, as my daughter used to be a regular at champions academy, Working with Ed and April.  Everyone knows hes one of the best at player development,  so why is it some of our guys dont seem to be retaining tjis stuff?

I agree with ED. I honestly was more excited to have him on staff than getting CAM. Not a knock on Archie just how much I respect ED. Great question. Unfortunately I think we have a lot of ME than WE.

I struggle with this, because Dakich played and coached at IU, gave his blood, sweat and tears, so who am I to criticize him? But with that said, he simply comes off as a bitter guy with an axe to grind. He'd be better off making these points if he didn't come off as a guy clearly mad that Archie got hired and Alford didn't. I'm sorry, he makes some points in that clip, but it's clouded by his anger over the "Indiana guy" thing. 

Edit: I think Fish nailed it with the "edge" thing. There is no edge to this team, and I agree with the player announcements thing. IU's guys just walk out emotionless when the lineup is announced. There's no emotion, no urgency, etc. 

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't get what an IU guy on the bench would help because we are recruiting the state quit well right now.  Most recruits today never saw Fife or Lewis playa t Iu so what would they do to help the program.

There is just something about being through it and what it means to be a HOOSIER that guys like that exemplify. Same reason guys like Steph Curry resonate with many everyday players because they can see themselves in him.  Its not something I can explain but I believe wither would be a huge asset. Plus they have great relationships with our in state high school coaches

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is just something about being through it and what it means to be a HOOSIER that guys like that exemplify. Same reason guys like Steph Curry resonate with many everyday players because they can see themselves in him.  Its not something I can explain but I believe wither would be a huge asset. Plus they have great relationships with our in state high school coaches

How do you know they have a great relationship with high school coaches in Indiana.  Just because you played in the state doesn't mean you have relationships with those coaches.  I wouldn't mind them if they were the best for the job but not just because they played at IU.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How do you know they have a great relationship with high school coaches in Indiana.  Just because you played in the state doesn't mean you have relationships with those coaches.  I wouldn't mind them if they were the best for the job but not just because they played at IU.

I don't know other than the fact I coached for 20 years and those guys put in the work to get to know coaches from the smallest to largest schools. They are always there to answer questions, to send any resources. They will come to your school to talk with you to explain things. With all this being said I never had a player recruited by either but have had both sitting across from me talking basketball

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

https://iuhoosiers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2368&path=mbball

Why don't you (and DD) consider this an IU guy? And, with the same role Crean had Cheaney?

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

It would be great to have either on IU's bench. But, Dane is associate head coach at MSU and Izzo is 63. He's in line to be heir apparent at MSU. He's from the State of Michigan and his family is there. Why would he come to IN to be an assistant to a 40 year old coach in a rebuild?

I suspect Michael Lewis' next job is a head coach. He's been a successful assistant at several places. He's 40. Time for him to have a head coaching job.

I did find this quote from Michael Lewis that is really good:

"If you miss on a recruit, he may beat you once a year,” Lewis said during his introductory news conference at Nebraska. “But if you miss and take the wrong guy, he’ll beat you every day. You’ve got to protect your culture, but we’ll go after some guys."

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding Fife, is there any hint or suggestion he'd leave Izzo's cocoon for IU?  I'd think his next move ought to be mid-major head coach, somewhere he could win.  Or he could hang out in E.L. and be heir apparent, the way Izzo was once.  

Not truly knowing the answer I can only guess, but I would think that he feels he will be given a legit shot at MSU when Izzo leaves. I think he would come here but it would be with the contingency that he would get a shot at the head coaching position if and when available. I think that will not happen. 

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

...what it means to be a HOOSIER that guys like that exemplify

What exactly DOES this mean?  Play hard all the time?  Be a good teammate on and off the court?  Have high basketball IQ?  IMO, this is just something we like to tell ourselves, but in reality, most winning programs do this and it has nothing to do with being a HOOSIER.  It's just playing basketball the right way.  You can have a VERY successful program at IU without having "IU guys" on the bench. 

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with ED. I honestly was more excited to have him on staff than getting CAM. Not a knock on Archie just how much I respect ED. Great question. Unfortunately I think we have a lot of ME than WE.

I agree... ultimately Archie is gonna get the blame. But for us who know Ed, its definitely not on our staff for lack of development 

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

What exactly DOES this mean?  Play hard all the time?  Be a good teammate on and off the court?  Have high basketball IQ?  IMO, this is just something we like to tell ourselves, but in reality, most winning programs do this and it has nothing to do with being a HOOSIER.  It's just playing basketball the right way.  You can have a VERY successful program at IU without having "IU guys" on the bench. 

Good question. Many do and many have former players on the bench. You can do anything with or without IU guys on the bench and you can continue to lose for 20 years too. We have had great assistant coaches with no ties and horrible ones with no ties and in all honesty may not make a bit of difference. I personally like what a couple of our former IU guys are doing and would love to see them here. How about a Michael Schrage? IU guy with Coach K for many years went with Dawkins to Stanford  now with Holtman last couple of years. 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Never said he was not an IU guy I also don't see assistant coach next to his name. 

Fair enough, but I don't think DD thinks of him as an IU guy. I read Dakich's comments as code for a BK guy.

Also, Calbert had a lot of influence in this position, so much that people thought his departure signaled the change in culture that ultimately undermined FTC.

My response to this line of thought is...If I want someone in the locker room telling everyone that they need to keep at it and good things can happen...that the pain is worth the reward...I think Elston has walked the walk more than Lewis and Fife (who, came into winning programs).

3 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Fair enough, but I don't think DD thinks of him as an IU guy. I read Dakich's comments as code for a BK guy.

Also, Calbert had a lot of influence in this position, so much that people thought his departure signaled the change in culture that ultimately undermined FTC.

My response to this line of thought is...If I want someone in the locker room telling everyone that they need to keep at it and good things can happen...that the pain is worth the reward...I think Elston has walked the walk more than Lewis and Fife (who, came into winning programs).

You are probably correct. Also part of what those other guys have accomplished in their roles.  IDK. 

Archived